.45 question...if I decided not to get a 1911....

what kind of .45 ACP, full size auto, would you recommend? While I do carry my .38 JFrame a lot, I love the .45 cartridge and prefer a full size when it comes to an automatic.

I like stainless, but Im open to suggestions - stainless is mainly because I hate the rust that generates from my hands being sweaty etc. beyond that, I just want to consider a reliable, kickass weapon that will serve well as a carry piece.

Im looking at 1911s now, but again, Im open. the only thing that I cant work with is glocks - I find the grips too wide on a G17, so I know the G21 is probably going to flare open more.

thoughts? or am I being retarded for considering something other than a 1911? Im trading or selling my beloved SAR1 to make this happen.

I liked my P220 a lot, but I'm guessing the grips may be too wide if you had issue with the glock (I've never held a G17, so I dunno for sure) but otherwise I'd say 1911:p

I take that back about the grips being too wide on the 220, I'm thinking of double stack sigs. (i haven't owned either in quite a while)

I'm partial to HKs myself, you can probably get a USP .45 for about $800 if you look around for used ones, the HK 45 is awesome too but probably a bit more. The Sig P220 is also an excellent choice and a real smooth shooter, and you can have one for for less $$ than the USP. I've shot and enjoyed all 3, but I'd buy the HK 45 if I could. You can't go wrong with any of those though.

Go with the 220, I had one in 9MM and 45 ACP. It is a proven platform.

Aside from the trigger (which is fixable; Apex, Local smith etc.) The M&P in 45 IMO is the best shooting gun in the M&P line up.

I wanted a P220 for a while, but talked myself out of it. Couldn't justify an other single stack platform since I already had a Commander-ish 1911 and a bunch of mags for it. I wound up piecing together a full size railed 1911 to keep magazine commonality.

I also have a Glock 21, and it is a large framed gun. I wouldn't mind taking a look at the M&P45 if I were in the market for an other 45.

I just built myself a 1911. Shot it for the first time last week. Asked myself why I hadn't got into .45ACP/1911 sooner!!!

I'm gonna add one more... I have an xD45. Polymer of course, so stop reading if that's an issue for you. Probably 3-4k flawless rounds through it, idiot simple to clean, takes MA compliant 10 round double-stack mags, comes with 13 rounders for the rest of the world. I have big hands, and it fits me real well. The newer version (xDm) has adjustable backstraps as well. It'll be at Westford Sportsmen's Club Thursday or Friday, along with my Hi-Point that I offered up to try in another thread wanting to see one with a Red-Dot sight.

ETA... That's the xD with a mag on the right, and my EDC Kahr k40 6 rounder on the left in my avatar pic. The xD is 4", the k40 is 3.2".

Last edited:
Nope, polymer is defintely worth considering as well - like i said, I want to carry it all the time, so the polymer will help.

I'm gonna add one more... I have an xD45. Polymer of course, so stop reading if that's an issue for you. Probably 3-4k flawless rounds through it, idiot simple to clean, takes MA compliant 10 round double-stack mags, comes with 13 rounders for the rest of the world. I have big hands, and it fits me real well. The newer version (xDm) has adjustable backstraps as well. It'll be at Westford Sportsmen's Club Thursday or Friday, along with my Hi-Point that I offered up to try in another thread wanting to see one with a Red-Dot sight.

I like the Xd compact 45 as well as radtek, its big enough to get the job done and not FS, plus its a normal 10 rd mag . Grip was great and smaller than a glock 21. For some reason i dont like the grips on the newer xdm's they have less grip texture and feel slippery.

But im probably going to end up with an xds .45 single stack because its the smallest carry .45 out there.

If it must be full size and not a Glock, I'd also say P220. It's a great gun and outshoots my Colt 1911. It does not conceal quite as well as the 1911. No full size .45 does.

Are you up for DA/SA? When you look at the 220, decock the gun and try pulling the trigger DA while keeping the sights on target. Then cock it and try the SA. If possible actually shoot one. It will take a fair bit of training to be able to make two quick, accurate shots.

The HK USPc 45 is reasonably sized for concealed carry, though the slide is stupidly large. The fullsize USP is downright huge. The DA triggers on the USP line are just awful. I would carry them cocked-and-locked, but some folks aren't comfortable with that.

VERY easy on the wallet. Nice weight of the gun soaks up recoil nicely.

To the OP: Have you carried a full-size gun before? It can be done, but it ain't as easy as j-frame in the pocket. After you narrow down your selections and shoot them at a club, think about what will be easiest to conceal.

Unfortunately, the easiest full size gun to conceal is a 19111. Everything else is fatter.

now that i have a 1911, im pretty sure that no other autos exists...or needs to exist...so 1911 gets my vote.

Back
Top Bottom