.45 question...if I decided not to get a 1911....

I agree with LWM that a Ruger P345 would be a good choice. They are relatively inexpensive, durable and accurate. Moving up price-wise would be the Sig P220.

You could never go wrong with a 3rd Generation S&W semi-auto in the 4500 series. They are out there in the used market (a few probably NIB on some dealer's shelf somewhere). The West Virgina SP just ordered a new batch of them with rails.

if we're throwing everything out there: FNP45. not sure if there are retard mags available but it's an incredibly easy gun to shoot. took my buddy to MFL and he'd never shot a handgun before and was getting good, solid center-mass hits at ~10-15 yds right off the bat.

otherwise 220 is a solid choice, they are awesome guns.

Another vote for the full size USP in .45. I have a P220, and its a real nice gun, but its nearly as big as the USP (and heavier) and still only gets you the 8 round capacity. So you have to ask yourself, what does a P220 really get you that a 1911 doesn't already provide (besides a decocker)?

The USP, on the other hand gives you the decocker, plus the ability to carry in condition 1, and depending on availability/where you live, 12+1 capacity. All this with reliability equal to a good 1911 or P220.

Thanks,
Chris

Others have already mentioned it but my XD45 is a work horse. I have had no issues with it and it eats up everything I feed it.
I don't like the trigger on it and its big but for an alternative to a 1911 (which I of course own also) its a nice package.

G21SF, or if you can find one, a really nice P220 AL framed. (stay away from the P220ST).

-Mike

what kind of .45 ACP, full size auto, would you recommend? While I do carry my .38 JFrame a lot, I love the .45 cartridge and prefer a full size when it comes to an automatic.

I like stainless, but Im open to suggestions - stainless is mainly because I hate the rust that generates from my hands being sweaty etc. beyond that, I just want to consider a reliable, kickass weapon that will serve well as a carry piece.

Im looking at 1911s now, but again, Im open. the only thing that I cant work with is glocks - I find the grips too wide on a G17, so I know the G21 is probably going to flare open more.

thoughts? or am I being retarded for considering something other than a 1911? Im trading or selling my beloved SAR1 to make this happen.

FWIW 1911s are good too as long as you get a good one.

If you get a POS one you will wish you had just bought the G21, P220, whatever, instead.

1911s can be great guns but as a class there are a lot of pieces of s**t out there too. Thankfully good gunsmiths can fix most of the issues.

Now reading your whole post, if you can't even get your hands around a G17, you would probably be best served by a 1911.

-Mike

The USP, on the other hand gives you the decocker, plus the ability to carry in condition 1, and depending on availability/where you live, 12+1 capacity. All this with reliability equal to a good 1911 or P220.

As much as I love my 1911s, I suspect that the USP fullsize is more reliable. That said, that reliability comes with:

- stupidly large slide
- safety lever that is, at best, meh
- differently placed mag release buttons that I find harder to use
- and worst of all, an SA trigger that is fair at best

Though I often carry a fullsize 1911, I wouldn't want to try to conceal a fullsize USP. On the other hand, one of our members here conceals a S&W 500...

As much as I love my 1911s, I suspect that the USP fullsize is more reliable. That said, that reliability comes with:

- stupidly large slide

Though I often carry a fullsize 1911, I wouldn't want to try to conceal a fullsize USP. On the other hand, one of our members here conceals a S&W 500...

Concealing a full size USP is challenging for sure. I do it with a Crossbreed holster, but I can't lean forward. Ever. [laugh]
Granted, people aren't too savvy for noticing what I'm printing either, so it hasn't been a big problem thus far. I am working on CCing something else though.

Last edited:

- stupidly large slide

I agree, for the most part. I've actually gotten used to the HK mag release system, and can operate it without issue. For me the challenge was getting used to the fact that you have to change your grip when dropping the mag. I will say that the enlarged one on ther HK45 feels a lot better, and it is possible to put one on a USP.

In terms of the large slide, it certainly is. But besides the issue with easy concealment, it also offers a large and easy to rack platform, which I really like. It also makes the USP a great option for those with hand strength issues, or big hands that find grabbing a small slide like you find on a CZ75 or Browning HP.

Chris

My votes go to EAA Witness, CZ97, or FNP45. Unfortunately, none of those are readily available in Mass (as far as I can tell), and the FN would be closer to the upper ranges of your budget.

I agree, for the most part. I've actually gotten used to the HK mag release system, and can operate it without issue. For me the challenge was getting used to the fact that you have to change your grip when dropping the mag. I will say that the enlarged one on ther HK45 feels a lot better, and it is possible to put one on a USP.

Can the enlarged one be installed on a USPc and can anyone get parts out of HK these days?

OK let me help also here.
1. buy a 1911
2. buy a XD45
3. buy an H&K
4. buy a Glock 21,30,and 36
5. love and shoot them all equally and try not to show them if you have a favorite or they do get a bit upset.
PROBLEM SOLVED !!!!!

I'll probably get ribbed for this one... Ruger P345, love mine, slim and it's lower cost but works well and it's 45 ACP! :)
i have to agree with kirkvn. i have owned the p345 for just about 4 yrs now. i have not had one single problem with it. i have over 4k rounds through it....factory, reloads, hollow points, round nose, lead and jacketed. all have worked flawlessly. it is not a gun that will break your budget and will last a long time.

bob

M&P is coming out with a Mass legal Compact .45 in a few months. But the Sig,Glock or smith are all good in full size.

Until the Ruger SR45c comes out. I'm sticking with my XDm 3.8 in 45. The trigger is better than a glock and it carries nicely. I have a glock 21 but am seriously considering the 4.5 xdm for owb carry because the grip is not so huge.

I can't stray from striker fired anymore but if I could I'd join the crowd and buy a 220 sig or the Ruger P series

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom