• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.45 dilemna

That is the only 45 pistol I am remotely interested in. I have thought long and hard about getting one with a sig 45 can, mainly because I like their roll mark.

Sig-P227-TACOPS-5.jpg

Discreet yeetin' for days.

(I realize that is not likely a sig can)

a while back I picked up a P227 tactical and have been pleased with it. while i'm not a big P229/226 fan for some reason I like the P220/P227's. my P220 has near 5k rounds through it without a single stoppage including steel cased crap. the P220 gets so little resale value I wouldn't dare get rid of it. plus i feel like it's bad luck to bail on a pistol that's been utterly reliable. i'm convinced the P220/P227 run well because they haven't been redesigned by Sig. they still use the short extractor which I have found far more robust than the shitty long extractors sig uses nowadays.

A cheap 1911 is cheap for a reason. That said, there are some good options in your price range.

What type of gun do you like to hold? What feels good in your hands? It may help us narrow down some options for you.

The most straightforward option will be the Glock 21 if you’re not in Mass. Better yet a G41.

Adding a can to a cheap 1911 sounds like a bundle of fun I wouldn’t want to get involved with.

The HK or FN45 are cool but if they’re not in the mix the Glock is basically the only choice.
Yeah, IDK how well 1911's that haven't been tuned to work with a suppressor will work with a can on it, that's true. The polymer pistols would all likely run right out of box, the S&W obviously given it's set up strictly for can work.

I'll have to come to a decision at some point. I guess if I see a good deal on a used G21 or G41 I won't be able to turn it down or if S&W have some killer rebate in the future.

A cheap 1911 is cheap for a reason. That said, there are some good options in your price range.

What type of gun do you like to hold? What feels good in your hands? It may help us narrow down some options for you.
The Gen 4 Glock's with the beavertail backstrap have always felt good to me. I've never shot a 1911 before and I generally hate grip safeties.

I've already narrowed it down to a cheap 1911, a used Glock, or a new S&W M&P 2.0. Ruger's and Kahr's don't have barrels for them and everything else is too pricey for me.

The Gen 4 Glock's with the beavertail backstrap have always felt good to me. I've never shot a 1911 before and I generally hate grip safeties.

I've already narrowed it down to a cheap 1911, a used Glock, or a new S&W M&P 2.0. Ruger's and Kahr's don't have barrels for them and everything else is too pricey for me.
As far as being too pricey for you, after you factor in thep otential for an aftermarket barrel, the price of the can itself, and the $200 tax stamp...what difference does the additional cost of the pistol make?

Disclaimer: it’s easy to spend other people’s money on stuff that’s more expensive.

Last edited:
As far as being too pricey for you, after you factor in thep otential for an aftermarket barrel, the price of the can itself, and the $200 tax stamp...what difference does the additional cost of the pistol make?
Tax stamp and can makes a gun the cheaper part. LOL. Same mindset as owning a boat. The more you use it the less it costs.

I have a Gen5 G19 MOS and put the largest back grip on it and love it. I really do like my HK 45C as a daily though, but my Colt Competition Stainless is one of my favorite range guns. If you’re in MetroWest and want to try either or both, let me know. Otherwise, good luck!

I would by a RIA over a base Remington any day of the week,but you are still in KIA territory, you really want to be in Toyota territory... unless you get a Dan Wesson the Bugatti of 45's. ( I consider anything Greg Derr to be Rolls Royce )

If you get a moderately priced 1911 you can always improve upon it when you have the resources, but if you have a sh*t receiver it is not going to matter what you do to the trigger, barrel,slide, etc.

47A375DD-1F2D-47BD-95C0-7C20889E768D.jpeg Glad I added myself to this thread since other than my edc Sig P250c I don’t have any experience with larger 45’s.

Problem now is that I am actively searching for a P220/227.

What’s the best one to get? Been around since 1976. West German ones a plenty for $600 on GB. Newest Legions in high volume too from $1200.

All double action triggers? Any striker fired versions? Probably not...

Last edited:
Anyone have experience with Norinco 1911A’s? Of course they are cheap but I saw an all nickel one that was going for $500. I almost jumped on it as the reviews for these seem to be very good.

Disclaimer: it’s easy to spend other people’s money on stuff that’s more expensive.
What difference does the extra cost make? The difference is I'm not a .45 fan unless it's suppressed; I'm more into 10mm than .45 and would rather spend the money on a 10mm. The .45 is just to satisfy my curiosity to try something new and different. Honestly, if Hi Point made a .45 with a threaded barrel, my problems would be solved, I'd get that.

Every dollar I spend on something is one less dollar I have to spend on something else, plain and simple. Do I want the .45 to work and not be a dumpsterfire? Of course, that doesn't mean I want a Rolls Royce or a Toyota, I'm happy if it's Geo with a manual trans and crank windows that goes from point A to point B without trouble.

You mentioned that you don't like grip safeties. I mostly shoot Glocks these days, but I have a couple 1911's, so a couple of thoughts here. One is that when the gun fits your hand, you don't even notice the safety, it simply gets pushed in as you grasp the gun to draw it. Second is that grip safeties can be pinned. I personally wouldn't de-activate a safety, particularly on a carry gun - but that's a decision you can make.

Of my 1911's, I've been really pleased with my S&W. Purists will scoff at the external extractor - but it runs well, and fits my hand well. Look at buying used. If you know what you're looking at, or have a friend who knows what they're looking at and you're even slightly patient - you can find some amazing guns out there.

I think you should change the title of this thread to: "I have a money dilemma".[rofl]

If you think some of the pistols mentioned are expensive.
Wait till you see how much that move is going to cost![wave]

Anyone have experience with Norinco 1911A’s? Of course they are cheap but I saw an all nickel one that was going for $500. I almost jumped on it as the reviews for these seem to be very good.

I used to own a norinco 1911. If you like gu spec 1911s they are fine. But i quickly upgraded to a more modern railed 1911 like a RIA tac. Or go with a SA loaded. The steel is great on a norinco. But you will see a whole lot of tool marks inside the gun. It looks decent on the outside. The reason someone plated the whole thing was to get it looking better. Take a serious look at a magnum research 1911 stainless if you want a non black gun. Or dan wesson

If you go with a 1911 and it doesn't have a thread barrel already. Add in the cost of getting the barrel fit too.

If you like 10mm, why not put a can on a 10mm and use 220 subsonic loads?

When HK first moved HK45 production to the US, it was $650 at Cabelas and elsewhere. But the price seems to have gone up, now $750 at Cabelas. $650 seemed too cheap if it’s the same as the $1050 gun made in Germany.

Can’t speak to a 1911 threaded host yet. But I love my g21 and my HK usp tac 45 as hosts. My HK came with metric LH thread. Where my aftermarket G21 barrel is RH. Factory Glock is LH I believe. So ended up with 2 Pistons. These two hosts balance my Obsidian well.

a while back I picked up a P227 tactical and have been pleased with it. while i'm not a big P229/226 fan for some reason I like the P220/P227's. my P220 has near 5k rounds through it without a single stoppage including steel cased crap. the P220 gets so little resale value I wouldn't dare get rid of it. plus i feel like it's bad luck to bail on a pistol that's been utterly reliable. i'm convinced the P220/P227 run well because they haven't been redesigned by Sig. they still use the short extractor which I have found far more robust than the shitty long extractors sig uses nowadays.

I just checked Sig's website, no sign of the P227 anywhere, after some googling I find the P227 was discontinued. God damn Sig can be dumb as hell. Make and sell 48 different 1911's, 35 different, but equally retarded, P238s and P938s, but cancel the one pistol they made that was actually different and interesting.

Looks like I am back to fitting a threaded barrel to my 1911, or trading down for a G21 if I ever actually want to shoot .45ACP. Which I really don't, unless I stumble across a smoking deal on a .45 can.

I just checked Sig's website, no sign of the P227 anywhere, after some googling I find the P227 was discontinued. God damn Sig can be dumb as hell. Make and sell 48 different 1911's, 35 different, but equally retarded, P238s and P938s, but cancel the one pistol they made that was actually different and interesting.

Looks like I am back to fitting a threaded barrel to my 1911, or trading down for a G21 if I ever actually want to shoot .45ACP. Which I really don't, unless I stumble across a smoking deal on a .45 can.

wow I had no idea the P227 was discontinued. my guess is that Sig wants to pump out P320 lego guns rather than build quality P227's. that is really too bad. however the P220 accomplishes the exact same thing with 2 less rounds and a slightly thinner grip. my wife never liked the P227 but can easily run the P220. that really is a bummer though I may look for a used P227 before the prices go into rape territory. the other thing i dig about the P220 are the mags. they come from a time when mags had thick quality steel, firm lockup into the mag well and straight up inspire faith. the P227 mags are a P250/P320 45acp mag with different baseplate. they work fine but don't have that old school german feel of the P220.

op, if you're not bailing for a couple of years, can't you just put a few bucks away weekly until then and buy something quality when you do actually move? shooting and guns, quality guns, are very expensive. you must have known that when you got into it. i've watched people for years skinflint their way around this adventure and have nothing to show when the smoke clears but a room full of shit that's a nightmare to resell unless they basically give it away.

someone suggested a p220. yeah, a beautiful sub $600 .45 acp pistol on the used market. i'd look long and hard at it if i were you. i've had one for years and out of all my .45's, it'd be the one i'd yank out of the safe to suppress. some of the hk offerings look good, also. if i had unlimited funds and wanted a 1911 .45, i'd choose a dan wesson.

a m&p, ruger and rock island, all nice budget, entry level pistols but at the end of the day all you still have are nice budget, entry level guns you dressed in a tuxedo.

my opinions only.

Frankly, I wouldn't bother with a centerfire pistol can. They are more of a novelty and get old quickly.

Suppressors on pistols 100% are a novelty, but I have been enjoying the shit out of my Omega9k knockoff on the end of my G19 in my backyard. With 147's, it is plenty quiet, but what I find really cool is how easy it is to track a full sight picture through the recoil. I can shoot this thing FAST! Stumbled onto a smoking deal for the can with the intentions of shooting 300blk through it (maybe an MPX some day), but ordered a Glock Gen5 threaded barrel because why not? I am now in the process of putting together a second slide with suppressor sights and maybe an RMR or ARCO because of how much fun it is, and how fast I can shoot it.

IMG_20190623_101939968_HDR.jpg

Back to the .45 gAyCP conversation, I'd buy a used P220 before I bought a cheap 1911. Every day of the week.

If you go with a 1911 and it doesn't have a thread barrel already. Add in the cost of getting the barrel fit too.

If you like 10mm, why not put a can on a 10mm and use 220 subsonic loads?
I've thought about that, but I concluded if I wanted to run a gun with a suppressor it would be best if it was dedicated to that task. The 10mm I plan to shoot 180 or 200 grain bullets from mostly and if I was going to also use that same gun to shoot 220 grn projectiles, the POI would shift.

Instead of bothering with POI shifts, I'd rather have a gun already set for a certain projectile.

Practically all standard pressure .45 ammo is subsonic, so don't have to do anything fancy, but with 10mm I'd have to handload those 220s. Could also go the route of a dedicated .40 and only run 180 grain bullets through it, but something tells me to go .45 here.

op, if you're not bailing for a couple of years, can't you just put a few bucks away weekly until then and buy something quality when you do actually move? shooting and guns, quality guns, are very expensive. you must have known that when you got into it. i've watched people for years skinflint their way around this adventure and have nothing to show when the smoke clears but a room full of shit that's a nightmare to resell unless they basically give it away.

someone suggested a p220. yeah, a beautiful sub $600 .45 acp pistol on the used market. i'd look long and hard at it if i were you. i've had one for years and out of all my .45's, it'd be the one i'd yank out of the safe to suppress. some of the hk offerings look good, also. if i had unlimited funds and wanted a 1911 .45, i'd choose a dan wesson.

a m&p, ruger and rock island, all nice budget, entry level pistols but at the end of the day all you still have are nice budget, entry level guns you dressed in a tuxedo.

my opinions only.
I've mostly gotten by fine with my cheap guns, about the only one that I realized was a bad buy after I got it was the Leinad/Cobray derringer, but at least with that I'm willing to dump it to someone who would use it in their tackle box for $100. I have two long guns that I didn't necessarily buy because they were cheap, but because they had features I wanted, but after having them I've come to find I don't like them or they don't shoot well and would like to sell, but nobody will buy them unless they were under $200. I bought those 5 years ago when I was new to buying guns and hindsight is always 20/20.

For every skinflint gun I've bought, I've bought an equal ratio of guns that were not cheap or a skinflint purchase. If "quality" to you is steel frame pistols made in the USA, I'm sick of hearing that BS. A cheap Filipino 1911? Sure, probably not the best way to go for me, but a Glock or M&P polymer pistol will serve me well for decades.

I don't have unlimited funds, I can't go and buy a Dan Wesson, but I can buy a Glock or M&P and years/decades down the road, it'll be a lot easier to find people like me who are looking for a good deal on a used gun vs $1000 for a 20 year old Dan Wesson or Sig.

Having said all that, I will consider the USP.

Last edited:
I've thought about that, but I concluded if I wanted to run a gun with a suppressor it would be best if it was dedicated to that task. The 10mm I plan to shoot 180 or 200 grain bullets from mostly and if I was going to also use that same gun to shoot 220 grn projectiles, the POI would shift.

Instead of bothering with POI shifts, I'd rather have a gun already set for a certain projectile.

Practically all standard pressure .45 ammo is subsonic, so don't have to do anything fancy, but with 10mm I'd have to handload those 220s. Could also go the route of a dedicated .40 and only run 180 grain bullets through it, but something tells me to go .45 here.

You are likely going to have some POI shift when you put the can on the pistol, so that isn't really a good factor to account for. Besides that, you are not talking about a 1MOA rifle here, a POI shift of 1-2" at 50 yards out of a pistol that you are not likely to shoot for accuracy with the can anyways is not something I would be worried about.

If you don't already have a 45 can and/or a pistol you desire to suppress, but you do have a 9mm Glock/M&P/whatever already your answer is simple and way cheaper. Buy a threaded barrel for your favorite pistol and shoot 147's through a 9mm can. Boom, I just saved you like $600-1k. If you are hard set on a 45 can, just get one that you can run a 1/2x28 booster and shoot 9mm through it, and then get a .45 pistol some time down the road.

If you have to have a .45 pistol now, for some future potential suppressor use after you move to a gun friendly state (why not wait until you get there and can get what you want cheaper?), the obvious answers are the P220, G21, or M&P45. Cheap 1911's are not what you want.

Back
Top Bottom