.45 dilemna

Currently the only .45's I own are revolvers and I would like to have a .45 semi auto, one that either has a threaded barrel or there are aftermarket threaded barrels available for it. End goal will be a suppressor host after I move to a suppressor friendly state in the future.

The .45 doesn't have to have a threaded barrel with it as I can get that barrel after I move, actually after I get the can in my possession.

A Glock would be a fine choice, threaded barrels easily available, used ones are cheap, but I've got enough Glocks and I'm Glocked out, I want something different. Ruger made the SR45 and makes the American, but Idk if threaded barrels can be got for those.

S&W makes the M&P 2.0 with a threaded barrel and suppressor sights... this has been THE .45 I've been looking at for a while, but as I said, I don't need that barrel right now. Walther makes a PPQ .45 similar to that M&P, but it's nearly $600.

What about a used, cheap 1911 like a Rock Island? Threaded barrels are easy to get for 1911s, I can upgrade the parts over time to my liking to improve my experience, and it'll be different as I don't have a single action semi auto.

Is a cheap 1911 the way I should go or should I just listen to reason and get a used Glock 21 or a brand new M&P 2.0? Is there any .45 out there for under $600 (used or new) I'm missing that have aftermarket threaded barrels available for it?

I seriously pine for an FN45 with an extended mag/flared well and a suppressor. But yeah, it’s out of both our price ranges.

don't forget your sights. they'll need to be changed to higher ones cause the can will probably obstruct the sight picture with the stock height sight set. i'd probably look around for a nice quality pistol already set to accept the suppressor with barrel and sights already in place.

how long before your off to free land?
I would say if your leaving soon just leave and buy when you get there.
If not and a 45 is in your sights just pick up something that feels good in your hands.

how long before your off to free land?
I would say if your leaving soon just leave and buy when you get there.
If not and a 45 is in your sights just pick up something that feels good in your hands.
As I say every year it likely won't be until "next year." Was supposed to be this year but ended up having to fix a transmission leak on my truck and now my car is shifting sluggishly, not to mention all the other issues it's having. So, tentatively, it's 2020, but it may not be for several more years.

So, not leaving soon, would like to make a final decision on a .45 so I'll know what to keep my eyes open for if a good deal comes by and gives me some time to shoot it to know if it's the right .45 for me.

And even if I don't end up moving I've got access to lathes and mills, so it's not like if I bought a .45 with a threaded barrel that that feature would go unused.

don't forget your sights. they'll need to be changed to higher ones cause the can will probably obstruct the sight picture with the stock height sight set. i'd probably look around for a nice quality pistol already set to accept the suppressor with barrel and sights already in place.
Yes, which is why if I go 1911 I'm avoiding all those with "GI" style sights.

Again, as much as I hate the idea of it, this is another thing Glock has going for it in the large aftermarket support. Plenty of sights to choose from for Glock. Dunno about 1911s and the M&P is already set with tall sights.

-HK45 value and quality no question the winner in my book. USP internal design. not much more to say.
-FNX-45 I had one but found the grip weird. internals are complex. i'm not convinced about longevity of these pistols.
-glock 21/41. fine choice. boring.
-sig P220/P227. the P220 is a great pistol that gets zero love. can be had cheap especially on used market.
-if you're interested in a cheap 1911, then i'm guessing you haven't owned cheap 1911's

Currently the only .45's I own are revolvers and I would like to have a .45 semi auto, one that either has a threaded barrel or there are aftermarket threaded barrels available for it. End goal will be a suppressor host after I move to a suppressor friendly state in the future.

The .45 doesn't have to have a threaded barrel with it as I can get that barrel after I move, actually after I get the can in my possession.

A Glock would be a fine choice, threaded barrels easily available, used ones are cheap, but I've got enough Glocks and I'm Glocked out, I want something different. Ruger made the SR45 and makes the American, but Idk if threaded barrels can be got for those.

S&W makes the M&P 2.0 with a threaded barrel and suppressor sights... this has been THE .45 I've been looking at for a while, but as I said, I don't need that barrel right now. Walther makes a PPQ .45 similar to that M&P, but it's nearly $600.

What about a used, cheap 1911 like a Rock Island? Threaded barrels are easy to get for 1911s, I can upgrade the parts over time to my liking to improve my experience, and it'll be different as I don't have a single action semi auto.

Is a cheap 1911 the way I should go or should I just listen to reason and get a used Glock 21 or a brand new M&P 2.0? Is there any .45 out there for under $600 (used or new) I'm missing that have aftermarket threaded barrels available for it?
i like a plain old time no frills 1911; i hear auto ordinance has improved to the point of being a good choice. there is remington in ss and rock island [real basic]. if you can find old basic colts that would be best: i own two, one full size 45 and a old commander in 38 supper. carry then on a regular basis and they have never jammed.

Wait till you move, why limit yourself to whats available here in mass at a premium?
If you want to taste 1911 on a budget buy anyone you see that has dove tailed sights for your price range. Im not sure whats available new these days in mass for $600

This is mine, no it wasn’t inexpensive but it has never skipped a beat I use it in pin matches and it functions flawlessly. Very accurate gun.

Attachments

• CF515920-55BE-4A2E-9B4C-1C6056F39951.png
    CF515920-55BE-4A2E-9B4C-1C6056F39951.png
    197.5 KB · Views: 53
Wait till you move, why limit yourself to whats available here in mass at a premium?
If you want to taste 1911 on a budget buy anyone you see that has dove tailed sights for your price range. Im not sure whats available new these days in mass for $600
I don't live in the People's Republic.

-HK45 value and quality no question the winner in my book. USP internal design. not much more to say.
-FNX-45 I had one but found the grip weird. internals are complex. i'm not convinced about longevity of these pistols.
-glock 21/41. fine choice. boring.
-sig P220/P227. the P220 is a great pistol that gets zero love. can be had cheap especially on used market.
-if you're interested in a cheap 1911, then i'm guessing you haven't owned cheap 1911's
HK and FN are too much and I've heard not good things about HK customer service.
Glock is boring, I agree, which is why I'm looking for something else.
Don't like or trust Sig
A cheap 1911 is better than a cheap polymer pistol in regards to "something different." Normally I detest 1911's due to their weight, but in regards to what I'm looking for, I can't rule a 1911 out. I've seen used ones going for 300, just saw a Ruger 1911 for 350, can't turn my nose up at such things just because I don't like the heft of the 1911.

The most straightforward option will be the Glock 21 if you’re not in Mass. Better yet a G41.

Adding a can to a cheap 1911 sounds like a bundle of fun I wouldn’t want to get involved with.

The HK or FN45 are cool but if they’re not in the mix the Glock is basically the only choice.

P227 Tacops

That is the only 45 pistol I am remotely interested in. I have thought long and hard about getting one with a sig 45 can, mainly because I like their roll mark.

Sig-P227-TACOPS-5.jpg

Discreet yeetin' for days.

(I realize that is not likely a sig can)

Yes, which is why if I go 1911 I'm avoiding all those with "GI" style sights.

Again, as much as I hate the idea of it, this is another thing Glock has going for it in the large aftermarket support. Plenty of sights to choose from for Glock. Dunno about 1911s and the M&P is already set with tall sights.

There are tons of sights for 1911s.

Problem with a 1911 are you going to flint or not? if you're going to flint, you're better off not having a 1911. The cheap ones sometimes work out OK sometimes don't. Most of the sub 1K guns always need shit done to them, parts changed or added, etc. So why buy a $700 gun if you're going to do 300+ worth of work to it, just get the correct one to begin with.

I wouldn't get hung up on a threaded barrel/can, if you haven't committed to getting a can already, you can deal with that later. Anything worth buying, 1911, Glock, CZ, etc, will take a threaded barrel from (somebody).

HK and FN are too much? not sure if serious, pretty much everything being discussed in this thread is in the same ballpark. The only thing that isn't, is a 1911 that isn't a piece of crap. [laugh] (the DW that andrew1220 posted) You'll never need HKs CS so stop worrying about that front. (I had like 10 of their guns and only had one part break over like a decade + span. The fail rate isn't high enough to worry about CS. )

If the money is an issue buy a G21 and be done with it, you'll spend less on extraneous bullshit with that gun on the whole.

Glock is boring? It puts bullets downrange what else do you want it to do? [rofl] After awhile they're all "boring" it's just about picking the guns that piss you off the least or that you have to fight the least. If you want a BBQ gun theres a Krapber with your name on it somewhere. Maybe a raptor or something. [rofl]

A cheap 1911 is better than a cheap polymer pistol in regards to "something different."

No, it's not. Not now, not ever. Not considering the headaches potentially involved. And after you touch even a DW heritage, there's no way in hell you would ever want a ruger, poor-guy S&W, RIA etc. Those things are generally poorly fit, poorly QCed craphouses (work in a gun store, every gun you handle is different in that price class because the parts are usually never or minimally hand fitted) compared to even a cheap DW. (which is only like 1000-1200 bucks. ). STI used to make a cheap 1911 called a spartan that put most of the rest of the cheap 1911s to shame, but they got out of the single stack business, IIRC.

Friend "Mike what 1911 under 800 dollars would you buy? "

Me: "no. "*

If you decide to go buy a cheap one make sure you have a 1911 plumber on speed dial, eventually, you'll need him.

ETA: I'd make limited exceptions for a gun from a personal friend that gets worked (actually gets shot a fair amount or a lot) that you can know with certainty the history on it... For example, Atilla here had an SW1911 that must've been fit on a tuesday or something, that gun just worked and didn't care, and it was fitted correctly so that it didn't beat itself to death in a few thousand rounds...

-Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom