• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

45-70 trim length consistency needed for roll crimp

I haven’t reloaded 45-70 in maybe 20 years, so it’s like starting over.

I will be roll crimping ( lee die) as a separate step after seating. The brass I have was trimmed back when I used a rcbs trimmer, and is not as uniform as I get now with l.e. Wilson set up. I have three lots of brass (50 pieces each lot). Each lot has 88% +/- .003 in length. The other pieces are equally longer and shorter

I will be shooting this in a Marlin lever gun so I do want a crimp.

My question is how uniform does the length need to be for a good crimp?

(note: original post had +/- .0003 in length. I edited to correct)

Last edited:
I haven’t reloaded 45-70 in maybe 20 years, so it’s like starting over.

I will be roll crimping ( lee die) as a separate step after seating. The brass I have was trimmed back when I used a rcbs trimmer, and is not as uniform as I get now with l.e. Wilson set up. I have three lots of brass (50 pieces each lot). Each lot has 88% +/- .0003 in length. The other pieces are equally longer and shorter

I will be shooting this in a Marlin lever gun so I do want a crimp.

My question is how uniform does the length need to be for a good crimp?
I try to keep them within about .010-.015 total. If you’re running 2.095 and 2.105 you probably won’t notice much of a difference. Much more than that and you will.

0.0003 is nothing. Do you have an extra "0"?

I never trimmed mine. Reloaded over 10 times.

I trimmed some brass I bought for the Sharps when I first got them because some of them were 0.001 longer. But I have around 500 more casings I never trimmed. Those are used for the levers, revolvers and bolt actions.

I full length size every time except the Sharps brass, that one is fire formed.

Side note:
I also stopped cleaning the brass. I just lube, size, clean the lube with a paper towel and load it.

PS: I do the same for 6.5cm and I noticed no accuracy issues (I do trim 6.5), I tested new vs 1 time fired and cleaned vs 2 times fired and dirty vs 3 times fired and dirty. The brand new brass had slightly larger groups than the 1, 2 and 3 times reloaded.

Last edited:
Lee factory crimp dies are very seldom the answer
However the Lee 45-70 die is a collet type which is a good solution to small case length variations
Any FCD with a carbide sizing ring should be avoided like a plague.
Exactly what I was going to say. This is a collet crimp die. I wish they would change the name on one or the other.

The factory crimp die has 4 internal sections that "squeeze" the case mouth into the cannalure unlike a roll crimp.
It's not as dependent on case length as a roll or taper crimp.
I think we're all talking about the same Lee die however.

Exactly what I was going to say. This is a collet crimp die. I wish they would change the name on one or the other.
I think we had this same confusion in another thread (cast bullets). The Lee Pistol FCD has a carbide sizing ring whereas the Rifle ones are simply the collet type.

I had to buy another company's crimping die for pistol rounds that did not include the carbide resizing ring.

Back
Top Bottom