.44 casings showing burn marks. BAD?

Went to the N.B.Rod and Gun yesterday around dusk to see big balls of flame leap out of the Model 29. Great fun, but I notice distinct burn marks on only one side of casings over half the way down. Does this indicate a problem of any sort. No issues otherwise.

If they were handloads the powder charge may be low and the preasure being created isn't expanding the case in the chamber fully,but it's not a big deal and nothing to worry about

I see these marks in .45 ACP all the time, even with maximum loads and good crimping. Nothing worth worrying about... the tumbler takes it right off anyways.

-Mike

Were you using factory ammunition? Is this the first time you have shot this Model 29?

It doesn't sound too odd to me with magnum calibers. Lots of pressure etc.

Maybe post a picture or 2. It might be normal it might be excessive.

With some calibers if the is round underpowered it doesn't expand the case mouth/seal the chamber. This is usually more common in bottleneck calibers, but I have seen it in 45C as well.

It was factory Rem. .44 Mag. 180 Gr. I don't think these would be considered under powered. I've had this gun for a couple of years and never really noticed it. May not have been looking. My buddy was shooting a 642 with +p's and I noticed it on his casings. Made me pay more attention to mine. No lead splatter at cylinder or anything otherwise unusual.

Thanks for the input probably not something to be worried about.

RELOADERS look at their picked up brass all the time. It tells us volumes about our gun, and the nature of the reloads themselves. We can often "fix" issues with extraction, sealing the brass to the chamber, kick, and other things by adjusting the powder and quantity of it. I urge everyone to pick up their brass, and give it a good look over. M1911's are notorious for having ejection port bumpage issues. Flat spot on the edge of the brass. Sometimes it requires opening up the port a bit. Sometimes it's fixable with an adjustment in powder and or bullet.

Please save me your 44 mag brass! I'll make it worth your while.

I've been saving brass for .40,.38,.45colt and .44 special and mag. I now realize I probably won't ever reload. I was thinking of putting it in the classified. Cheap. Got some 5.56 too

Back
Top Bottom