.380 showdown: S&W Bodyguard vs Ruger LCP

My M&P BG has been fine. No issues with light strikes etc. Works great, disappears in a pocket and I don't have problems with the trigger. Go figure.

This finalized any doubts on which to get (or get first at this point). I will be getting the LC9s real soon. Thanks.

I'd think twice on the LC9s. I had one for about a month. Not fun to shoot, kicks like a mule, although I could handle it. Traded it in for a S&W Airweight revolver.
For those of you that research handguns, here is a great page for information. Go to the top and click search handguns and then put the model in. It gives you the recoil factor on all the guns. Just for example, most .22 cal handgun have a recoil factor under 1.00. A lot of these mouse guns have a recoil factor in the 6.00 area, except for the P238. Haven't checked the Kahr. The LC9s is over 7.00. Comparison is a .357 S&W is 14.00+. So check it out.

The Handgun Information Resource

I have carried a LC9 for some years now,and have found it to be a very nice gun.

Last edited:
I found the bg380 great to carry. I didn't have light primer strikes, I had a shattered firing pin after 200 rds. Combined with absolutely terrible customer service I've sworn off of Smith.
Wound up trading my .38 for an lc9 and love it. The 38 was old enough to drink and reliable, but I shot it bad (my fault, not the gun) but I wanted a better carry gun for the summer. I don't think the lc9 will be a summer only gun though, I may just keep it all year.

For a carry gun the LC9s is good, my point is, it is not a "fun" range gun at all. I shot a member's Sig P938 and found that to be a fun gun to shoot at the range. The weight absorbs so much more recoil. Love to have one.

Great write up I am looking at a small 380 for summer carry... although I was going more debonair and thinking a Walther PPK, Im also looking at the PPS as the size and weights seem comparable, need to get my hands on them

Great write up I am looking at a small 380 for summer carry... although I was going more debonair and thinking a Walther PPK, Im also looking at the PPS as the size and weights seem comparable, need to get my hands on them

I think you will find the PPK to be much heavier and bulkier than the Ruger.

I loved my PPS. Was snappy being a .40 but a stout gun none the less. Slightly on the heavy side but a great carry. I plan to get another in 9mm

For a carry gun the LC9s is good, my point is, it is not a "fun" range gun at all. I shot a member's Sig P938 and found that to be a fun gun to shoot at the range. The weight absorbs so much more recoil. Love to have one.

I agree with you completely on the importance of this.

In the 380 world, my LCP was a small, light and reliable gun. But it was no fun to shoot. I put about 100 rounds a year through it.

My Kahr P380 was a much better shooter. I shot about 500 rounds per year through it.

My Glock 42 is an absolute joy to shoot. I've put over 1000 rounds through it in a bit over 9 months. Its actually motivated me to start reloading .380. Something I thought I'd never do.

Don

Last edited:
Yeah +1 on the 42 love that thing. So light that it won't pull basketball shorts down if your a lazy slob like me. Great gun only reason it's not my edc is I have a sig 239 with an alien gear that tucks right away.

My new Bodyguard 380 is a decent little gun but with a few issues. I got it with the laser about a month ago for a great price. It's very small, thin, light, accurate and easy to shoot. Easy to conceal with or without a holster. I don't have a problem at all with the long heavy double action only trigger. I actually prefer it. After all it is a pocket gun and with a trigger like that combined with its size makes it ideal for carrying in a pocket.
Now for the issues. I first had lots of difficulty inserting both magazines. S&W said it would eventually break in from inserting and ejecting them over and over again. After time they did break in.
Then on my second trip to the range, the slide would not stay open on the last round. On the few times it did stay open, the slide would automatically slam forward when I ejected the mag.
I also had three light strikes out of a total of 150 rounds. Basically I got one for every box I shot.
So I called Smith and they said that they have had a few others recently with the same issues and that it's a possibility of bad batch of magazines. They wanted me to send it in along with both mags so I did. Waiting to hear back from them.
I hope all this is easily resolved because I really like this little gun.

My new Bodyguard 380 is a decent little gun but with a few issues. I got it with the laser about a month ago for a great price. It's very small, thin, light, accurate and easy to shoot. Easy to conceal with or without a holster. I don't have a problem at all with the long heavy double action only trigger. I actually prefer it. After all it is a pocket gun and with a trigger like that combined with its size makes it ideal for carrying in a pocket.
Now for the issues. I first had lots of difficulty inserting both magazines. S&W said it would eventually break in from inserting and ejecting them over and over again. After time they did break in.
Then on my second trip to the range, the slide would not stay open on the last round. On the few times it did stay open, the slide would automatically slam forward when I ejected the mag.
I also had three light strikes out of a total of 150 rounds. Basically I got one for every box I shot.
So I called Smith and they said that they have had a few others recently with the same issues and that it's a possibility of bad batch of magazines. They wanted me to send it in along with both mags so I did. Waiting to hear back from them.
I hope all this is easily resolved because I really like this little gun.

I have the M&P version with no laser and love it as a carry gun. The trigger is the worst feature, but it's a defensive "up close and personal" gun, not a range toy or target gun so I can deal with it. I haven't found any gun that is so slim and light for summer carry. I may grab a p938 at some point, but will probably still keep this as a backup, or for when deep concealment is required. I thought about the G42, but it is just too big inmo, because there are many single stack 9mm guns that size and the only reason I carry .380 is because I can't find any 9mm gun that is as light and slim as the BG.

I have the M&P version with no laser and love it as a carry gun. The trigger is the worst feature, but it's a defensive "up close and personal" gun, not a range toy or target gun so I can deal with it. I haven't found any gun that is so slim and light for summer carry. I may grab a p938 at some point, but will probably still keep this as a backup, or for when deep concealment is required. I thought about the G42, but it is just too big inmo, because there are many single stack 9mm guns that size and the only reason I carry .380 is because I can't find any 9mm gun that is as light and slim as the BG.

mine is the newer M&P version as well. There are several upgrades from the bodyguard 380 original version. The slide is suppose to be a little heavier because it's cnc stainless instead oregular stamped steel and the laser is now a better made Crimson Trace version.
With only 150 rounds I've noticed the trigger getting smoother. One of the range bodyguards I've used was very smooth. With several rounds I'm assuming.
Only 380 I've seen and used that is "better" than the bodyguard is the Sig P238. It's smooth, accurate and much better built. But I didn't buy it because of the light single actin only trigger. Yes it has a safety but for pocket carry its not for me.

mine is the newer M&P version as well. There are several upgrades from the bodyguard 380 original version. The slide is suppose to be a little heavier because it's cnc stainless instead oregular stamped steel and the laser is now a better made Crimson Trace version.
With only 150 rounds I've noticed the trigger getting smoother. One of the range bodyguards I've used was very smooth. With several rounds I'm assuming.
Only 380 I've seen and used that is "better" than the bodyguard is the Sig P238. It's smooth, accurate and much better built. But I didn't buy it because of the light single actin only trigger. Yes it has a safety but for pocket carry its not for me.

Interesting. I don't put a ton of rounds through mine because as mentioned it's not really a fun range gun, but also because it is difficult finding .380 in my area for some reason, and when I can get it, it's too expensive to waste. When I get setup to reload I will definitely be adding .380 dies for this reason. Good to know it breaks in a bit. It may be worth polishing the trigger contact points to expedite the process. I agree that the newer ones seem a bit better built as I had an original one with the laser and traded it at some point. Even though I didn't like shooting it, I quickly realized that I missed it when wearing lighter summer clothing, or when needing deep concealment. Glad to hear that the CT laser is nicer, but my problem with it was that the switch was very awkward so it didn't seem like it would function well under stress. When they went to the CT, they should have incorporated a grip switch like most CT lasers use. If they did that I probably would have bought that version instead, but didn't want an accessory that I wouldn't use so I was happy they offered the simpler, stripped model.

Interesting. I don't put a ton of rounds through mine because as mentioned it's not really a fun range gun, but also because it is difficult finding .380 in my area for some reason, and when I can get it, it's too expensive to waste. When I get setup to reload I will definitely be adding .380 dies for this reason. Good to know it breaks in a bit. It may be worth polishing the trigger contact points to expedite the process. I agree that the newer ones seem a bit better built as I had an original one with the laser and traded it at some point. Even though I didn't like shooting it, I quickly realized that I missed it when wearing lighter summer clothing, or when needing deep concealment. Glad to hear that the CT laser is nicer, but my problem with it was that the switch was very awkward so it didn't seem like it would function well under stress. When they went to the CT, they should have incorporated a grip switch like most CT lasers use. If they did that I probably would have bought that version instead, but didn't want an accessory that I wouldn't use so I was happy they offered the simpler, stripped model.

I agree that a grip activation switch is much easier to use than my new and improved laser version. I could have bought the non laser bodyguard for $259 but then would have had to spend $199 for the add on Crimson Trace laser. Instead I spent $329 and got a new gun with a built in laser that is warranted by smith and Wesson. Seemed like the better deal to me.
And to be honest. I can shoot it pretty damn good without the laser. But I like it for low light situations.

I agree that a grip activation switch is much easier to use than my new and improved laser version. I could have bought the non laser bodyguard for $259 but then would have had to spend $199 for the add on Crimson Trace laser. Instead I spent $329 and got a new gun with a built in laser that is warranted by smith and Wesson. Seemed like the better deal to me.
And to be honest. I can shoot it pretty damn good without the laser. But I like it for low light situations.

Makes perfect sense, and you got a great deal. I got mine when it was first approved for MA so I paid more than you did for my non laser version. Do you know if S&W addressed the screw that backed out inside the slide on the older laser version? It never happened to me but was always in the back of my head because it happened to a few people on here.

Id like to see how a G42 and a LCP compare... Seriously considering buying a G42 for pocket carry since I can't carry my G19 at work.

The 42's handling characteristics of recoil management, and customizable sights, puts it above anything else their.

I used to own an lcp.. what a pain litterally from trigger guard slap. I never shot it much because of the recoil, but it functioned flawlessly.

Now that i own a 42.. i can sit there and practice as long as i have ammo. And if im going to carry , it should be with a gun i enjoy to shoot

Picked up a G42 this past weekend, and went shooting not knowing what to expect. Past experience dry firing one had me not liking the trigger as it felt gritty. It must have been that one, since the one i purchased had a decent trigger. Very accurate at 15', picking out the center of the target on most shots. Very low recoil. Only thing i dont like is my pinky not attached to the gun, so i ordered extensions for 7.00 each. Problem solved there. It also does not pull my pants down like my shield. So far, very impressed.

The 42's handling characteristics of recoil management, and customizable sights, puts it above anything else their.

I used to own an lcp.. what a pain litterally from trigger guard slap. I never shot it much because of the recoil, but it functioned flawlessly.

Now that i own a 42.. i can sit there and practice as long as i have ammo. And if im going to carry , it should be with a gun i enjoy to shoot

Well you guys just sold it to me, I was going to wait for the G43 to decide but worst case scenario, i can possibly entice my wife to get her LTC with it.

I don't know about the reliability of the LCP, but the Bodyguard's issues would make me hesitant to buy one. Plus I have no use for the .380. I'd rather .38spl

Id like to see how a G42 and a LCP compare... Seriously considering buying a G42 for pocket carry since I can't carry my G19 at work.

They are completely different guns. The LCP is much much smaller and lighter. It is however not pleasant to shoot.

The G42 is on the upper edge of what is pocketable. But it is the best shooting Glock sold other than the 34.

For me, the Glock is a bit too big for an "always" gun. But I already own a Kahr P380, which is about halfway between the Ruger and the Glock in both size and shootability.

If I could only have one gun for pocket carry, it would be hard to decide between the Kahr, which is 100% always small enough to take with me. (Glock is 95%) and the Glock.

With that said, anyone who wants the glock 42 needs to try it out. If its too big to pocket carry, then you are better off with a Kahr P9, not pm9, or even a G26.
If a pocket gun is too big for your pocket, its just an under capacity gun once put in an IWB or OWB holster.

I agree with this 100%. Its nice to have a pocket gun that you actually ENJOY shooting. Like I said above. I now reload .380 precisely because I put about 10 times as many rounds downrange with the 42 as I used to do with the LCP.

Care to guess what kind of an effect that has on my effectiveness?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know about the reliability of the LCP, but the Bodyguard's issues would make me hesitant to buy one. Plus I have no use for the .380. I'd rather .38spl

LCPs usually run flawlessly.

- - - Updated - - -

Well you guys just sold it to me, I was going to wait for the G43 to decide but worst case scenario, i can possibly entice my wife to get her LTC with it.

I was going to replace my 42 with a 43 once it was available. I am reconsidering. While there is no denying the ballistic superiority of the 9mm. I shoot the 42 so much better than the 43 that I really wonder which I would be more effective with. Obviously the answer is scenario dependent. But if I try to keep up with my 42 cadence when shooting the 43, I'm not anywhere near as accurate. It could be the difference between 3 shots, center mass and 3 shots with the first center mass and the next two in the periphery.

I'm trying to come up with a drill that will push me on speed and accuracy with each gun. I'll let you all know how that works out.

Don

Last edited:
There is not much love here for the Sig P238? Mine was the best purchase I have made for an everyday gun. It fills a very important role for me and I have supreme confidence in its function. It is great to shoot and very accurate, the sights are excellent and I prefer a hammer fired pistol. It is also very small and it disappears in the pocket.

Last edited:
There is not much love here for the Sig P238? Mine was the best purchase I have made for an everyday gun. It fills a very important role for me and I have supreme confidence in its function. It is great to shoot and very accurate the sights are excellent and I prefer a hammer fired pistol. It is also very small and it disappears in the pocket.

I agree 100%.

There is not much love here for the Sig P238? Mine was the best purchase I have made for an everyday gun. It fills a very important role for me and I have supreme confidence in its function. It is great to shoot and very accurate, the sights are excellent and I prefer a hammer fired pistol. It is also very small and it disappears in the pocket.

Its a fantastic gun. But I'm of the opinion that most people are not up to the task of carrying one defensively.

If you aren't instinctively swiping the safety off when on target AND swiping the safety ON when coming off target, then you aren't ready to carry a gun like this.

I stopped carrying a 1911 because I was shooting both a Glock and a 1911 competitively. Occasionally, I'd draw in "glock mode" and forget to swipe the safety off.
Also, occasionally, I'd come off target and not put the safety on. Because of this, I chose to only shoot striker fired guns that mimicked the Glock.

Since then I've only carried Glocks and Kahrs.

Don

p.s. I also switched when I realized that my Officers ACP was the same size as and weighed the same as my Glock 19. The OACP carried 7 rounds of .45. The Glock carried 16 rounds of 9mm. And I could shoot the Glock much faster with better accuracy.

Back
Top Bottom