.380 showdown: S&W Bodyguard vs Ruger LCP

Beretta92FS

NES Member
I recently got a Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380 to use for pocket carry in the summer, and shortly thereafter came across a Ruger LCP as well. Here is my little summary of impressions and comparisons.

This is not intended to be a caliber war, or a “the .380 sucks” flame fest. If you get shot from 5 yards away with a .380, you’re going to have a hole in your body, and the .380 in my hand beats the .454 Casull in your gun safe any day of the week, so let’s not even go there.

original.jpg

The point with both guns are deep concealment or as a backup gun. It’s not always practical or possible to wear an inside waist band holster, and for those situations, pocket carry may be the only viable option. These are not range guns. They are last resort self-defense guns.

Recoil is a bitch with both pistols; shoot a box of 50 rounds through either, and your hand will hurt. However, in a real self-defense or emergency situation, that doesn’t matter much.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Size wise they are both pretty close; the Ruger may be slightly smaller, and also weights a little bit less than the Smith.

Accuracy

I shot one extended magazine full + 1 in the chamber for each gun at about 20 feet, and the results are not bad. The Smith is slightly more accurate, with a little better grouping. However both pistols are accurate enough for a close up self-defense scenario.

original.jpg

original.jpg

Trigger

The trigger travel on the S&W Bodyguard .380 sucks. I’ll say it again: the trigger travel sucks. The trigger travel feels like it’s a light-year long, and the shot doesn't go off until the back of the trigger finally touches the front of the grip. To alleviate that, I installed an aftermarket trigger bar from Galloway Precision that shortens the trigger pull with approximately 35%. It really makes a huge difference! Trigger weight is still hard, but manageable.

The LCP has a much better trigger. This is due to the fact that the LCP is half-cocked when carried with one round in the chamber. This makes a big difference, both for trigger travel and trigger weight.

In case of a light primer strike, the Bodyguard can be fired again by simply pulling the trigger one more time. If the Ruger has a light primer strike, you need to cycle the gun again (hence ejecting the round in the chamber) in order to be able to pull the trigger: the Ruger can ONLY be fired when half-cocked.

Sights and laser

The sights pretty much stinks on both guns, as they are both hard to see on a dark background. But as mentioned before, these are not range guns, but close up self-defense guns, and in those situations aiming may not even be possible. Quick point and shoot is more realistic in a close up situation.

I have mixed feelings about the laser; you may or may not have time to turn the laser on in an actual life and death self-defense scenario. But I guess it doesn't hurt to have it.

original.jpg

original.jpg

Other

The Smith comes with two 6 round magazines; the Ruger with one 6 round magazine. Galloway Precision has magazine kits for both pistols, extending their capacity to 7 rounds without increasing the physical size of the magazine. This is done by having a thinner follower and new springs. I have tested these extensively, and have had no issues with the 7 round magazine kits. It’s actually pretty impressive that these tiny pistols have a total capacity of 7 + 1 rounds.

original.jpg

Final thoughts

The Smith & Wesson had a few light primer strokes during my testing, and by reading other forums, I gather this is all too common. That’s not acceptable for a last resort self-defense gun. It must be 100% reliable. Always. No exceptions. The Ruger had no such issues at all.

Based on the awfully long factory trigger on the S&W Bodyguard, and the fact that the S&W Bodyguard gave me a few light primer strikes, I would not be confident trusting my life with that pistol. If Smith & Wesson updated the Bodyguard with a better trigger and stronger spring, I think they would have a real winner, but for light summer carry my clear choice at this point is the Ruger LCP.

original.jpg

Last edited:
Ruger LCP. The Bodyguard is one of the worst handguns S&W ever made. I think only the Sigma .380 is worse than it is.

-Mike

I trust my bodyguard. I have put over 400 rounds thru it and I have not had a single issue. I carry mine with buffalo bore ammo and I feel very confident that it will both work and be affective if I need it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

S&W came out with a .380 M&P Bodyguard model. It doesn't have the laser built in. I wonder if the firing mechanics are the same as the first style BG380. It could be a nice pocket gun if they could get the wrinkles out.

I hope you are posting this AFTER you sold your BG in the classifieds. Otherwise, poor planning :)

Regardless, good write up and thanks for the comparison. I had a 238 and loved it, had to sell but may pick up an LCP down the road. Are these MA Compliant? What are they selling for?

Yeah, but...380 sux!

Joking....[laugh]

Nice write up. I've actually been trying to hunt down a Kahr P380 for a few months now.

WTT: S&W BG 380 for Ruger LCP. Great condition; been back to the factory 3 times so surely it's fixed now. Laser works great when in total darkness but target is still visible (haven't come across that situation yet but I'm sure it's very common). Will throw in the three additional mags that S&W has sent me as compensation for my trouble. All trades final. [smile]

Nice job OP.

Good comparison. I'm glad you had the same issue of light strikes with the bodyguard. I rented one at the range as I was thinking of getting one, but out of a box of 50 rounds, I had 5 that didn't fire. I told the guy in the shop and he said it's not possible as it had just come back from S&W to repair the laser. I showed him the rounds that didn't fire and there was a visible mark on the primer. He just said "oh well." And you're absolutely correct with the trigger pull... sucked.

I'm glad I read this before running out and buying the BG380 that I've been eyeing for the past couple days. I like the look of the BG a lot more than the LCP, but if it looks cool and doesn't work 100% of the time it kind of defeats the purpose.

I'm glad I read this before running out and buying the BG380 that I've been eyeing for the past couple days. I like the look of the BG a lot more than the LCP, but if it looks cool and doesn't work 100% of the time it kind of defeats the purpose.

^^THIS^^

And a definitely timely post as I have been wondering what to do for summer carry myself. Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

Thanks for the review. I have the LCP with grip laser. Didn't want to fool with one I had to turn on and off. It is uncomfortable to shoot and I was wondering if I should have gotten the S&W. No more wondering!

FWIW the Sig p238 is very comfortable to shoot!

good job on the review----I had the bg 380 on order for months with my lgs

finally canceled after reading so many horror stories about them

I know some folks here love their bg's, but there are never fewer than 4-5 on the classifieds

for now i'll stick with the lcr .38-----a gun I HATED after I bought it but have learned to love (proper holsters help--I have 2)

if I reignite the urge for an inexpensive pocket .380 semi it will be the lcp

Last edited:
I find I shoot my LCP better than the BG even though the sights on the BG are a little better. I also love my p238 but the Ruger is much lighter and easier to carry IMO.

I owned a LCP for years. It was very reliable and easy to carry. I don't think it ever malfunctioned on me.

I've since replaced it with a Kahr p380. The biggest benefit of the Kahr is its recoil is much much lighter. Its actually fun to shoot, so I practice more with it.

But for what it costs, its tough to beat the LCP.

No, I will not sell it; won't get much for it used anyway. And it's interesting to see that some of the responders have had no problems with their S&W Bodyguard.

I reduced the length of the trigger pull by 35% by putting in a 3rd party trigger bar, and I'll get a slightly stronger hammer spring and polish the trigger to make it smoother. Hopefully it will be 100% fine after that.

But it's a shame that S&W doesn't do the Bodyguard correctly right out of the box.

I hope you are posting this AFTER you sold your BG in the classifieds. Otherwise, poor planning :)

LCP is NOT a good "woman's gun", making the assumption that she is relatively small in stature and doesn't shoot a lot. (these are pretty broad assumption admittedly)

My wife shoots her Glock 34 very well and HATED shooting the LCP. Its a tiny beast. She said it hurt her hand. And she's reasonably proficient. If you care to judge: http://youtu.be/pOrYjBq5V4Y

I've never owned a BG so I can't comment on that.

What about the LC380? Its LC9 sized and shoots the 380. The LC9 is kindof snappy. I've never shot the LC380, but it has to recoil less.

If you can find one, the Kahrs are very low recoil for their size. Now that there is a CW 380, its just as good as the P380 but cheaper, that might be a choice.

Last edited:
I pocket carry my BG on a pretty consistent basis. I bring it to the range now and again just to keep it running. I have not had one single issue with it. I pulled the trigger and it went bang then spit out a case and put a fresh round in. I've put about 250 round through it. As far the trigger being long and hard I agree but I don't mind it being it is a pocket gun and I carry chambered and safety off. This isn't a 25yd range gun. It's an up close life saver. It doesn't require a super light trigger.

I have yet to shoot an LCP but it was my first choice in .380 pocket guns ( at a reasonable price). A friend of mine bought one and took it to the range. He put about 4 rounds through it and it stopped firing. IDK what happened but the slide would not go back into battery.

Back
Top Bottom