• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

380 ammo for self defense

JackO

Instructor
Could you please recommend any specific self defense 380 ammo? Please no comments on how inadequate 380 caliber is for self defense. I prefer myself to use at the very least 9mm luger +P or greater, but in some cases carrying just a small Ruger LCP in a pocket is the choice I have to go with.

I use Winchester Ranger T-Series 95gr in my 380's. Other decent choices are the Federal Hydra-Shok and Remington Golden Sabers. Try what you can find and check the reliability of all to feed. [cheers]

The hottest, most reliable (in your gun) .380 FMJ you can get your hands on. Most of the hollowpoints don't expand that well, so you might as well just use ball ammo. It's more reliable in most .380s anyways.

-Mike

I have the same type thread going. From reading around the only HP that comes close to 10-12 inches in Gel is hornaday FTX which is a new and untested load and the federal hydra-shok which does not open up all the time in heavy clothing. FMJ loads get 12-18 inch 100% of the time so I have been leaning toward FMJ loads in my .380 but like yourself I went on NES to feel out other peoples thoughts on it.

Before I got my new P238 I had a walther and carried PowRball. It shot nice and never a failure. Like a dumb dumb I sold it with the gun. All I could find was the Hydra Shocks and I bought the last 3 boxed at my shop. It ate up 21/2 boxes without a problem. I've been looking around and only other I could find in my area is gold dots. I also read there are +p's avail in .380. When I get back to work Monday I'm going to have my shop order me more of the powrball and some of the +p's. If the price is right and they shoot well I'll give a range report. DJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Hot, or +P loads for the LCP. I read somewhere that Ruger has warned against +P's in the LCP. I have been carrying mine with a Gold Saber in the pipe, & alternating them in the Mag's. with Remington solids. I pocket the LCP, everywhere I go, even in the house. I also carry my Springfield 1911 Compact in a IWB holster every time I leave the house for any destination.

Back
Top Bottom