• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bow & Drill, Flint/Steel, & Hand Drill...

I've posted this one other gun forums and I figured that this would go well here. This is my "primitive" fire making write up. This is split up in two posts as it was too long for one. Enjoy.

Fire making: the Bow & Drill by Kenelm

Material…

Fireboard:
1. Locate a dry/dead softwood stick/branch. I like using Quaking Aspen, Bigtooth Aspen and White Pine as both work well and are quite common here in the NE.
2. Split/shape, finished your fireboard should measure approximately 1 1/2 inches wide (+/-), around a 1/2 inch thick, and around 4 + inches long. Then carve out a shallow crater for the drill (note pic #2).

Quaking Aspen fireboards, notice the different stages...
3A.jpg

Crater carved out for the drill on a Quaking Aspen fireboard, note tip of drill pointing towards the crater...
rt6jk234002.jpg

A dry/dead White Pine, perfect for fireboards and drills...
rft75wl634g3463009.jpg

Drill:
1. Locate a dry/dead softwood or softer hardwood stick/branch.
2. Try to find a piece that doesn't need much shaping (some cases you may have to carve out your drill from a chunk of wood or a larger stick/branch)
3. The end result should be anywhere from 6-10 inches long, straight, and about a half of an inch thick +/-, one end should be rounded for the socket and the other should be carved to a low blunt tip for the fireboard. I re-use my drills until they get below 4 1/2 inches, when they get below 6 inches is when I have to take my boot off so the size doesn't interfere with my drilling.

Quaking Aspen Drills, note dead limbs...
2A.jpg

It doesn't get any better, one of the pieces recovered before finishing...
2C.jpg

The above piece finished...
2D.jpg

White Pine drill and fireboard before and after...
fdw4y4017.jpg

h482hrt94kmd007.jpg

Socket:
1. Any dead or green hardwood (you can use a piece of bone or stone, just chip out a crater in the middle for the drill end) branch that’s around 2 inches thick
2. Split the branch down the middle, cut the length to size (4 inches long +/), and then carve out a half inch crater directly in the middle

Maple socket, approx. 5 inches long...
1A.jpg

1E.jpg

You should use some type of lubrication to put in the socket hole. Lubrication in the socket makes drilling/producing an ember much easier, it also helps preserve the life of your socket. Pine sap works THE BEST. If you do not have access to Pine sap, you can use soap, other "thick" saps from some plants/trees, greases, etc. - lubricating isn't necessary but I advise ALL beginners to start out using some sort of lubrication.
Here I used sap from a White Pine...
1B.jpg

1C.jpg

1A.jpg

Bow:
1. Almost any "strung bow" shaped piece of green or dead wood will work (the less durable the string, the more flex the bow should have)
2. The bow itself should be anywhere from 2-3 feet long and around 3/4 of an inch thick /- some
3. Notches should be carved out at each end for the bow string

Maple bow, note natural curve, bow is approx. 2 1/2 feet long and 3/4 of an inch thick. Note the left side, the "handle", para cord is wrapped around the handle so I can adjust tension while drilling with my thumb.
4A.jpg

Notches...
4B.jpg

4C.jpg

Bow String:
1. Keep it simple, start out using 550 cord. After you have mastered your technique, you can move on to handmaking cordage from natural sources, such as the inner bark from Basswood.

Top: wear on 550 cord after 50 + fires; Bottom: new, unused 550 cord...
h482hrt94kmd004.jpg

Tinder...
1. Lots of options here, dry/dead grasses; strips of dead Cedar, Juniper, and Milkweed bark, etc.
2. After enough has been collected, you will have to form the tinder into a "birds nest" type shape. The "birds nest" should be somewhat compacted into a semi-tight "ball".

A Marshland is a great place to look for dry/dead tinder in the winter months...
5A.jpg

Before shaping...
rt6jk234001.jpg

After...
h482hrt94kmd002.jpg

Fire plate...
If you will be drilling on the wet ground, you will need a “fire plate” to protect the fireboard from absorbing moisture. A fire plate also can make it easier/safer to handle your ember. I typically use a piece of Gray Birch bark if drilling on the ground. I like to drill on a rock if possible, though sometimes the rock may be wet as well all depending on the conditions. No matter where you drill, make sure that the fireboard is on solid ground and doesn't move around while you are drilling.

Drilling position/set up...
Left foot on the fireboard semi close to the hole, right knee on the ground, left hand holding socket, wrist rested snug against your left leg, bow hand holding the bow near the end of either side (note bow section pics, I hold the left end), socket down on the drill (straight, not crooked), drill in long/constant strokes while applying pressure on the socket/drill.
Twisting the drill into the string...
h482hrt94kmd028.jpg

h482hrt94kmd029.jpg

Now it's time to get drilling...
1. The first step is to bed the drill into the fireboard. Take it easy when bedding the drill, save your energy for producing an ember

Here I used a White Pine drill/fireboard. It took me less than a minute to bed...
h482hrt94kmd010.jpg

2. After bedding, stop to carve out the v notch in the fireboard & add more lubrication to your socket.

Here's a great example of the "perfect" notch, notice that the point of the v doesn't quite reach the center of the hole...
4573337.jpg

3. Now you can begin drilling again, this time for an ember.

After less than a minute of drilling, I noticed a nice amount of smoke (note pic) coming from just outside the notch in the pile of powder gathered from the friction - I have an ember. Total drilling time from bed to ember, not more than 2/3 minutes. Drilling time can vary depending on the conditions and what quality material you are using. One of the biggest mistakes people make is stopping too soon, make sure you have a useable ember before you stop drilling.
h482hrt94kmd017.jpg

4. Now begin to blow on the pile for a few seconds, then use your knife blade and hand to pick up the ember and place it on your birds nest and carefully blow on the ember until ignition...
h482hrt94kmd018.jpg

h482hrt94kmd019.jpg

h482hrt94kmd020.jpg

h482hrt94kmd021.jpg

h482hrt94kmd022.jpg

rty747j3.jpg

Not much longer, FIRE…
h482hrt94kmd026.jpg

Having trouble?
Hits/tips...
Bow string/drill slippage:
- tighten/loosen your string
- lube up the end of your drill/socket
- rough up the drill (socket end) and/or socket hole with your knife or a stone
Drill popping out of the fireboard/socket:
- hole drilled too close to edge/v notch
- hole in socket not deep enough

I'd suggest anyone new to this method to try exactly as above. You don't have to be as "neat", but it can be easier for beginners. Here's an example of a "quick" bow and drill, not as pretty, but it works...
The below was all from one dead White Pine branch.
Drill, bark can be easily hand picked off...
87G08N8008.jpg

Drill and Fireboard, notice how they are left as is, fireboard was hand split with the help of a piece of stone and the other end left rounded. Drill isn't the straightest but it'll work. The drill is also a little short, so I had to hold the fireboard barefoot when drilling.
87G08N8002.jpg

87G08N8003.jpg

Ember...
87G08N8005.jpg

87G08N8006.jpg

87G08N8007.jpg

Basic Fire Set Up for Flint/Steel, Bow and Drill/Hand Drill, etc...

I typically use a tepee fire, this set up works very well. I use it with flint and steel, bow and drill, and hand drill and other methods.

The first step is collecting tinder, kindling, and larger sticks/branches for the fire. Make sure you collect enough material to keep your firing going, you don't want to be scrambling to feed the fire when you are trying to cook/boil water, build/set up camp, etc.

Here I used dead Goldenrod seed heads and stalks for my tinder (inner) and strictly seed heads for the outer...
fhtw45001.jpg

Once the tinder has been collected, form it into a tepee type shape and place it in your fire pit. It rained the night before so I collected some strips of bark from a dead Ash tree and placed them in the fire pit to use as a "fire plate" to help prevent the tinder from absorbing moisture from the wet ground...
ryteru004.jpg

Then take three larger sticks and form the tepee frame, larger sticks are used so the frame doesn't burn down/collapse prior to the 2nd stage of kindling...
ryteru005.jpg

Then fill in the sides with small twigs leaving an opening on one side...
ryteru007.jpg

Now place a good size tinder ball right at the entrance touching the tinder inside the tepee. If you are using flint and steel, make sure to take some extra tinder and break it up real fine right on the already well broken up pile.
ryteru008.jpg

Now you can strike your Flint/Steel (or place your ember on the outer tinder ball if using fire by friction and blow until ignition), directing spark to the outer tinder ball until ignition...
etwetwet005.jpg

ryteru010.jpg

ryteru012.jpg

ryteru013.jpg

ryteru014.jpg

ryteru015.jpg

Prior to this stage is when you want to begin adding more kindling then slowly larger sticks...
ryteru019.jpg

Last edited:
Hand Drill…

Drill...
I like using White Pine and Cattail for drills. Cattail is great because it is easy to work with and always close to needed size and straightness, but useable dead stalks are typically always going to be too wet inside to use immediately, so they will have to be dried in the sun after being stripped to the correct size. White Pine works great and finding a dry/dead piece is very easy but getting it to the needed length and width requires some work with a knife. Finished drills should be anywhere from 27-32 inches long and no more than a quarter inch thick.

Cattail drills prior to being stripped…
dfhn5001.jpg

Stripped, drilling ends are too thick and will have to be slimmed down a bit
dfhn5005.jpg

Perfect…
fdje004.jpg

Leftovers…
dfhn5004.jpg

Fireboard…
The fireboard should be set up the same as for your bow and drill, if square, it should be little thinner. Hand Drill fireboards should be around 3-4 inches long.

Used White Pine fireboard…
ter.jpg

dfre001.jpg

dfre002.jpg

Drilling…
After carving out a small crater for the drill, I set the fireboard down on a suitable (dry) location for drilling. Different from the bow and drill, I use a rock or rocks to hold the fireboard in place instead of my foot. The reason for this is it puts me in a better position to drill and it also allows me to change sitting positions easier while drilling. I can go from sitting on my knees with an aggressive downward drill to a leaning backward aggressive drill – changing positions helps your arms when they start to get tired w/o having to stop drilling.

Note rocks on each end of the fireboard. Rocks should be no higher than 3-4 inches tall.
fdje002.jpg

Bedding the drill…
This is the hard part and it can take some time all depending on how hard you work/what type of wood you are using. If you are going to break at any time, do it in the early stages of bedding. Keep in mind that every time you take a break, you are just making the process longer by allowing the drill tip/board to cool off.

When drilling, switch off from full hand/fingers to strictly palm, this can help prevent blisters (one thing you don't want in a survival situation is open wounds on your hands). When you get to the bottom, hold the drill in the hole with one hand while you move the other to the top, then bring up your other hand and work your way down again. The transition needs to be fast and smooth. If the drill keeps popping out of the hole when drilling or transitioning, then you aren't putting enough pressure on the drill.

The different stages of bedding…
1. The first noticeable change is the squeaking sound from the wood heating up
2. The second is the smell of the wood
3. Third is the powder gathering around the hole
4. Starts to smoke – time to stop and carve out the notch, The tip and board a little charred up. If you can get this far, you can create an ember.

The v notch, it should also be a little flared out at the bottom…
rtj6345002.jpg

With the Hand drill I like to save the bedding powder and place it under my notch. The added powder will allow you to make the ember bigger, which in turn will make it easier/safer to handle and use.
dfgj45001.jpg

tryj34003.jpg

Drilling for an ember…
The notch should be facing towards you so you can see what’s going on, this also helps to block wind. When you start drilling again, it will take a short while to get it going, then the smoke will start, keep an eye on the pile of powder for smoke. When a good amount of smoke starts to appear from the notch, you know you have a useable ember. Like with the bow and drill, I like to make the ember larger by blowing on it before moving on my tinder pile.

5oir7022.jpg

5oir7017.jpg

5oir7021.jpg

Excellent!

+1

nanerclip, this is an EXELLENT real-deal write-up. I can tell you've done hand drill before.

Great information sharing.

Thanks!

I've been pretty busy lately but I'll see what other topics I can get up. I have a few, but I haven't finished the typing part yet.

From a shelter building piece that I haven't finished yet, debris hut framed up & ready for insulating/rain proofing layers...
fjer56u3003.jpg

That rocks!

My project for this year is to learn how to make a bow drill fire. No one in my sons Scout Troop has done it yet, although some have tried.

I've got a feeling you've gotten me there. thanks again.

Quick question - The socket is on the fireboard itself? Or is it a separate item?

+1 rep point

UPDATE: I get it. The socket holds the other end of the drill. Duh!

Last edited:
It just occurred to me that this would make a fun, yet educational party game at the next BBQ at the house. (with beers riding on it of course). 1st one to make fire wins. All supplied with similar pieces.

Good thread, keep in mind that it may take you 20/30 tries to get the right combo of wood. Don’t rely on making it in the woods, make it at home where you can get it to work then put it into your fire bag.

and practice. a lot of people have gotten themselves in trouble because they have seen Bear Grylls or Les Stroud start a fire between commercial breaks but have never practiced it themselves. As with all survival skills knowledge without practice breeds false confidence.

and practice. a lot of people have gotten themselves in trouble because they have seen Bear Grylls or Les Stroud start a fire between commercial breaks but have never practiced it themselves. As with all survival skills knowledge without practice breeds false confidence.

True for every survival skill. Unless you practice in a controlled enviornment, you don't know what you don't know. If you have a firepit at your house that you use, ever now and then, try starting it with a survival method. When you're replacing or updating some of your emergency food, try prepping it with just equipment from your pack.

I have started a fire with a firebow before, and can attest it's hard under good conditions and it's easy not to know what you're doing wrong if you haven't done it before.

You have to watch out what you see on T.V. as a lot of it is BS. Bear and Les are no Ray Mears, not even close, why either of them have their own show is beyond me.

I saw Bear in Costa Rica trying to do bow/drill and it was totally faked. He wasn't even positioned correctly.

If you are taught correctly how to do bow/drill, you never forget. Hand drill is a bit different. The way my hands are right now, I'd destroy them in the process and be lucky to get an ember. Bow/drill, even w/o the ideal woods wouldn't be an issue.

If you are taught correctly how to do bow/drill, you never forget.

After learning how to make fire with a bow and drill, I made darn sure to never forget my lighters, matches, or ferrocerium rod when traveling in the back country.

After learning how to make fire with a bow and drill, I made darn sure to never forget my lighters, matches, or ferrocerium rod when traveling in the back country.

I wouldn't consider bow/drill to be a primary and no way would I ever leave behind matches/lighter/etc; that said, bow/drill, is EASY to do and can be done with minimal effort provided you know what you're doing.

Now, when a BS artist like Bear is the instructor, well, don't expect ideal results...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x95Z4hFQuCc

Look at his fireboard/notch... His bow is just wrong... and hard wood drill?! No wonder why he has a hard time keeping the drill up right/work the bow... his drilling position (RH legs, LH drill, huh?)... he's working his ass off, wonder why?! That whole thing is a laugh.

I'll second that.

See my post above yours.

Respectfully, the instructor that taught you how to do bow/drill must not know what they are doing if you guys were having that hard of a time.

I'd be more than willing to do demo on Bow/drill this summer to show how easy it is when done right... for anyone interested.

Back
Top Bottom