• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How do you handle an attack by a trained dog?

If I survived the attack the ass wipe who sent them after me for no reason would suffer for sure. Civil suit and a good beating to start with. Have dogs taken away from them, they obviously don't deserve to have them.

The fact that is most over looked here is a dog that is trained essentially will not care wtf you do to it. You can try and go for chest area, legs, sides but essentially it's a losing battle.

The previous GSD we had from the Czech Republic was 130# and went through two rounds of training. He clamped down on two guys at different times and let's just say that anything they did was futile. Keep in mind if they go through training for weapons they will attack the weapon or the general vicinity. This was the case with our previous who clamped down on the side of one guy who concealed a piston and came in the house. The other was a guy who was carrying a musket, knocked and walked in on his own and was clamped on the forearm of the carry arm.

Once our 90ish# 8mo old is old enough he will go away for the training also. There's nothing like a well trained dog. Training them in german is a joke because if it's trained properly that dog should not be accepting commands from anyone besides those that the dog considers family. Knowing the proper commands should not halt an attack by a properly trained dog.

Last edited:
Dogs can only attack after they index themselves, and once they do they will always attack. A dog never indexes itself with its prey and then aborts or changes its attack. Once its mind is made up, that's it.

If a dog indexes at you the best thing to do is move off of the line of attack. A lot of dogs can run 30-35mph so good luck with that.

If you have to be bit, get bit in the arm, and if you can manage it, cramming your arm down the dogs throat to the elbow is the only way to get it to release its bite without a command. Even if you manage to break its ribs by landing on it, or knocking it out by punching it in the skull between the ears, it will likely not let go.

i had a trained german shepard, one thing they will not do is to jump up, mine always stayed low, and was faster than the

human eye. he could bite and yu would never see hime do it. he was also trained to take to take commands form their master only/

he also took hand commands in the event his masters voice was disabled. as for their bite, was taught to bite with his back teeth,

if he did grab someone you had big problems.

my GSD is untrained and relatively small in size, only about 85lbs, and from experience roughhousing with him, if he was actually trying to hurt me i would not want to be involved lol

I can tell you from experience that a large German Shepard can crush your hand and wrist at the same time. It happened to me when I was 12 years old.

There is NO WAY you would be able to do anything when you are bitten and being shaken at the same time.

I was injured so badly that I was out of school for a month.

My GSD is 100 pounds and not protection trained. That being said, I do not recommend messing with his pack. We wrestle all the time and he week gently grab me by the arm, not even leaving a mark . However this guy can pop a tennis ball in his jaws without trying. I'm glad he's on my side.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and good luck yelling sit...[rofl]

Co2 fire extinguisher if you have one. They hate it. That's if you are not trying to hurt it. But I consider a trained dog a weapon. If it gets sicked d on me I raise the response level to eliminate the threat.

first off, dogs are awful forms of self protection. an alligator or turkey would be much better. dogs naturally gravitate to and respect human leadership, so honestly almost any human can win over a dog's trust.

rule +1 is not to run or move away. if human shows fear, result is predatory behavior in the dog. this is also true with human - human interactions. fear = prey.

if dog approaching there are 2 options:

1) nonconfrontational = turn around and make no eye contact with dog. eye contact signals conflict. if no eye contact, then no conflict. if dog bites just ignore and they will let go. once they see you are not responding, they will stop.

2) confrontational = move towards the dog and get as tall as possible, signaling with hand to the side/above as if to bite. keep moving towards them until dog has backed away. if dog bites then human bites back. keep neck protected. do not be afraid to bite a dog back...believe it or not your teeth are stronger. they will submit.

lethal force simply unnecessary on a dog. only indication in my book is if the dog is rabid (unlikely) or attacking a child/family member (more likely).

A friend of ours trains K9 dogs, typically German Shepherds.

If you were weaponless, you would be badly injured.

It is virtually impossible to fight the dog off once it clamps down on your arm or leg.

I have seen people in protective dog suits get attacked. It would not be a good ending.

You're kidding right? I wish we still had our old GSD for you. Soon enough my puppy can show you awful he is at defense. There is a reason that the military and police utilize them and it's not as a pick me up.

I think your troll meter is broken. Or he's retarded.

first off, dogs are awful forms of self protection. an alligator or turkey would be much better. dogs naturally gravitate to and respect human leadership, so honestly almost any human can win over a dog's trust.

rule +1 is not to run or move away. if human shows fear, result is predatory behavior in the dog. this is also true with human - human interactions. fear = prey.

if dog approaching there are 2 options:

1) nonconfrontational = turn around and make no eye contact with dog. eye contact signals conflict. if no eye contact, then no conflict. if dog bites just ignore and they will let go. once they see you are not responding, they will stop.

2) confrontational = move towards the dog and get as tall as possible, signaling with hand to the side/above as if to bite. keep moving towards them until dog has backed away. if dog bites then human bites back. keep neck protected. do not be afraid to bite a dog back...believe it or not your teeth are stronger. they will submit.

lethal force simply unnecessary on a dog. only indication in my book is if the dog is rabid (unlikely) or attacking a child/family member (more likely).

This is crap.

I saw a full grown male brindle pit charge one of my friend's father. Dog was notoriously vicious. As it lunged at him he grabbed it by the neck and did a WWE wrestling style back breaker to it. Acrobatic 180 flip of the dog in mid-air and all. That dog ran away as fast as it could. This man had no fear of dogs.

Me - I would have jumped up on a car or something...

Step 1 to confronting a trained dog - get over the fear and attack first. That's what I learned that day.

Anybody have any insight? Former dog handlers maybe?

Couple questions for you:

1) Do you speak of "real" professionally trained dogs or a dog trained by Julio, who lives down by the tracks?

2) Is your encounter a result of being somewhere you shouldn't be, as in breaking and entering, or someplace you do have a right to be, as in, at home or walking down the street?

If we assume you are not a criminal, and since you're reading/posting here you are most likely an armed citizen, aka domestic terrorist, your encounter is *probably* in the middle of the night, by a SWAT team and K-9's.

If this is the case, give up immediately. The dog is probably trained to stop you, not to kill you and if you manage to kill it, it is considered the same as killing a police officer (according to CSI Miami) and you'll get the needle.

If the dog is NOT an LEO, you are probably going to have to sacrifice something to the jaws. A jacket or purse is best but your "off" arm is better than losing a leg or a throat. Stuff that in the dog's mouth if needed and start kicking.

You need to accept that it is going to hurt and you're probably going to look a little "different" after this, and beat that puppy up.

Now, if you happen to BE an LEO, just shoot it.

Take none of this post as serious advice.

Most trained dogs are trained using Schutzhund commands. How is your German?

Sit is just "sits," but "aus" (drop / let go) is probably the word you want in that situation. (It won't work anyway, but it will give you something to think about while the dog is eating your face.)

Last edited:
Feed the dog your left fist and push it as far down his throat as you can while your other hand slides a pencil in his eye and scrambles his brain.

When a large dog bites down on you, and starts shaking, you won't be able to do anything yell and hope someone helps you.

I have been bitten badly twice, both my German Shepherds.

The pain is so great that you will be borderline to passing out.

1) Do you speak of "real" professionally trained dogs or a dog trained by Julio, who lives down by the tracks?

2) Is your encounter a result of being somewhere you shouldn't be, as in breaking and entering, or someplace you do have a right to be, as in, at home or walking down the street?

If we assume you are not a criminal, and since you're reading/posting here you are most likely an armed citizen, aka domestic terrorist, your encounter is *probably* in the middle of the night, by a SWAT team and K-9's.

If this is the case, give up immediately. The dog is probably trained to stop you, not to kill you and if you manage to kill it, it is considered the same as killing a police officer (according to CSI Miami) and you'll get the needle.

If the dog is NOT an LEO, you are probably going to have to sacrifice something to the jaws. A jacket or purse is best but your "off" arm is better than losing a leg or a throat. Stuff that in the dog's mouth if needed and start kicking.

You need to accept that it is going to hurt and you're probably going to look a little "different" after this, and beat that puppy up.

Now, if you happen to BE an LEO, just shoot it.

Take none of this post as serious advice.

Post of the day +1 to you.
I'm still lol'ing

I probably should not have included the "Trained" qualifier in the thread title. Unfortunately, this thread had already taken off by the time I had come back to check on it.... Who could have guessed? Anyway, I am more interested in the differences between a trained dog, versus a dog acting on instinct. What instincts are reinforced through training, and what instincts do trainers suppress? By trainers, I would include everything from government trainers to drug cartel trainers. Some good info has popped up so far.... Along with some info that, well, sucks.

I think you are the only person I have ever hear say dogs are awful for self protection.

As for dogs naturally gravitating to and respecting human leadership, that I find just strange. With my Dobermann, I had to show and prove that I was the alpha male. He just did not accept it until he was trained to do so. Even through out his life he tried to "become" the alpha again until he was shown otherwise.

Maybe the breed you have-had was different though.

Back
Top Bottom