• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How to Build a PVC Hand Pump

There was another thread here about hand well pumps. I thought it would be cool to know how to build a PVC pump on the cheap and have a fun weekend project with the kids that could prove itself very useful. Top video is building the pump. Bottom video is for the one-way check valve.

Last edited by a moderator:
pvc leaches phenols which are very not good for your health. it's a reason why it's used strictly for sewage and drinking water supply comes through either iron/steel or copper pipe

I think for the purposes of a pump it wouldn't matter. Water sits in house plumbing waiting for you to turn on the tap. Just passing thru isn't going to be a problem.

pvc leaches phenols which are very not good for your health. it's a reason why it's used strictly for sewage and drinking water supply comes through either iron/steel or copper pipe

Not true, you can use PVC for drinking water. It is called CPVC or Flow Gold. They use it all of the time down South. Not much in Massachusetts.

Nice video. I will have to try it....

I've used Flowguard Gold on many occasions. Wouldn't hesitate to use it for such a project.

Schedule 80 cpvc on the other hand, is very heavy and best suited for a spud launcher.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Last edited:
There are also plastic pipes rated for potable water, for example Flowguard.

One of the things I have been wanting to try is constructing my own shallow well with pump. Does anyone have land in NH they want a pump in a remote location?

Back
Top Bottom