• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

About to buy a hand crank radio....Eton FRX5?

MaxStravinsky

NES Member
I've decided to get a hand crank radio, and after a few hours of research I'm thinking it's going to be the Eton FRX5.

Its' features:
  • Receives AM/FM/NOAA Weatherband to keep you informed and entertained
  • S.A.M.E. and NOAA Weather Alerts so you know what's coming your way
  • Digital tuner and display
  • Rechargeable lithium battery with enough power to fully charge most smartphones
  • 5V 2.1A USB output provides extra fast charging for smartphones and also charges tablets
  • Four power options: Rechargeable lithium battery, solar panel, hand crank and AAA batteries (not included)
  • High efficiency solar panel recharges the internal battery in about 5 hours
  • Hand crank power - a little elbow grease can go a long way

Also looking at the Midland 300 because it takes AA batteries as a backup.

Anyone on here have some experience with these models, or maybe an other model that they like?
Thanks!

Last edited:
I have the Ambient Weather Adventurer, which has most of the things you are looking for. I use it mostly for weather NOAA forecasts/alerts. It has worked very well. I use it every morning for the morning forecast. The battery last a very long time and the solar charger works well.

Everyone should own an emergency radio. In a real SHTF event, you need to have access to the outside world to know what's coming your way.

It sits on the nightstand and goes into the top of the "go bag" in a seconds.

http://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-Emergency-Flashlight-Certified/dp/B0071BTJPI

Jay

Last edited:
I have the Ambient Weather WR-335 ADVENTURER2 Emergency Solar Hand Crank AM/FM/SW/WB Weather Alert Radio, Flashlight, Siren, Smart Phone Charger.
It sounds a lot like what you are looking at but in a smaller package. I keep it plugged in on my desk. If the power goes out, it makes noise and the flashlight flashes.
I have not needed to use it but it's good to know that it's there if I do.
[h=1][/h]

I have the KA600 http://amzn.to/1NBcwN4

Its a good unit...reception with a long piece of wire is very good on SW and AM. I have a SHTF book reader with a line out for podcasts and it plugs right in and works great.

The solar charger needs to be in direct sun all day to do any real charging...thats a bit weak IMO. The reading light is a really nice feature as is the temperature and RH.

I have the KA600 http://amzn.to/1NBcwN4

Its a good unit...reception with a long piece of wire is very good on SW and AM. I have a SHTF book reader with a line out for podcasts and it plugs right in and works great.

The solar charger needs to be in direct sun all day to do any real charging...thats a bit weak IMO. The reading light is a really nice feature as is the temperature and RH.

That is a nice unit. I agree about the solar charger. The panel on mine and others just seems small. It will work, but as you say "bit weak". I was thinking about getting a larger charging solar panel / pad. I just haven't figured out what to purchase yet.

They pretty much all suck. The trick is finding one that sucks less than the others. I bought 2 for $50 each thinking they would be good in an emergency. They looked like $5 pieces of junk. Don't remember if they were eton or Red Cross radios.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom