What pepper spray is safe to store in a car? Can withstand extreme heat/cold...

Hey folks,

I want to buy pepper spray which I can keep in the door panel in my car. Can someone recommend which one to buy which can be stored in extreme hot/cold temperature? All the ones I've found online say not to keep in a car.

Thanks,

I've kept a can of Fox Labs 5.3 stream in my center console for a long ass time and it hasn't blown up. Probably a different story if we lived in like TX or one of those hot as **** places where the car temps cause the dashboards to blister... [laugh]

-Mike

I've had a can a pepper spray in the center console of my truck for four or five years, parked outside 24x7x365 the whole time. If you'd like to test it's potency we can make arrangements to do so. Could make for a fun thread.

Dollar Tree used to sell (maybe still does) a small Air Horn.

Having kept other Pressurized Cans in my cars all my life (Windshield De-Icer, Cleaner, Tire Inflation Cans, etc), I did not think twice about it.

I was in the habit of storing it on my dash, as I wanted quick access to frighten some obnoxious MockingBirds (I guess it worked; they are gone).

It was a day in late May when I went out to my car at lunch and could not believe my eyes; the Air Horn had exploded and imbedded itself halfway into my Windshield.

After several polite but firm phone calls Dollar Tree paid for a new windshield (it was an older vehicle, and I had no Comprehensive Insurance on it).

More to the point, I've kept Kimber II in my Glove Box for 3 years now. No explosions yet.

Aeresolized incapaciting agent under pressure in a moving vehicle,what could go wrong

Many years ago, there was at least one brand marketed for keeping in your car, but haven't seen it lately. I think it was from the makers of "The Club"

I have had a can of Defense Technologies MK3 in my door panel for like 7 years now. Same can. I take it out every once in a while and give it a test spray.

The can says it is safe to 120 degrees, so that means it's probably not going to burst until it hits 140 or higher.

Dollar Tree used to sell (maybe still does) a small Air Horn.

Having kept other Pressurized Cans in my cars all my life (Windshield De-Icer, Cleaner, Tire Inflation Cans, etc), I did not think twice about it.

I was in the habit of storing it on my dash, as I wanted quick access to frighten some obnoxious MockingBirds (I guess it worked; they are gone).

It was a day in late May when I went out to my car at lunch and could not believe my eyes; the Air Horn had exploded and imbedded itself halfway into my Windshield.

After several polite but firm phone calls Dollar Tree paid for a new windshield (it was an older vehicle, and I had no Comprehensive Insurance on it).

More to the point, I've kept Kimber II in my Glove Box for 3 years now. No explosions yet.

So you did something stupid (leaving a pressurized container of (whatever) in exposure to direct sunlight, and you managed to con them into paying for your window? That's serious skinflint street cred points right there... [rofl]

-Mike

i'm odd man out again, a few years back i picked up 3 purse sized sprays for some of the ladies in work. threw them in the console of my bronco. couple hours later, i'm opening the tailgate to go shooting and i start to choke and gag. all 3 canisters, still in the blister pacs, exploded in the console. this was mid morning and far from 120 degrees in the truck. only thing that made it not quite so bad was they were still in the blister pacs and in a plastic bag the store put them in. all told it still took an hour or two for the truck to be de-gassed. forget the brand, maybe out under the smith and wesson name. the bottoms of each can blew off. just relating a story is all.

I keep the Fox 5.3 in my vehicle. I contacted the company with this exact question and I forget the numbers but the rated operating temperatures were well outside what I would ever expect to see in my vehicle.

So you did something stupid (leaving a pressurized container of (whatever) in exposure to direct sunlight, and you managed to con them into paying for your window? That's serious skinflint street cred points right there... [rofl]

-Mike

Actually, I prefer to believe I gave them a cheap HEADS UP that their product was bad news. [rofl]

As you said, in Texas it probably would explode like a grenade ANYWHERE in a car. While people were in it.

When it went off, it was actually a day like today - not very hot at all.

Anyhow, thanks for the crap - to be honest if more people gave me crap beforehand for some of the really stupid things I've done I'd be far better off today.

THAT is a good question. I used to store a big can of bear spray under the seat....then though better of it, especially during the summer. If it let loose, would you have to total the car???

A car can get to 140F on a bad day

Kind of off topic but, if you use this against someone standing next to your window, you're probably going to get some on your own face.

I've kept it in my car where it's gotten HOT and never been a problem. Carried it in the freezing cold and it wasn't a problem.

You should really try it. Heat it, freeze it, then spray yourself in the face - on video to be posted here, of course!

I found the e-mail response from Fox Labs. 120 is actually not unheard of inside a car but I imagine there's a factor of safety there. I drive a Wrangler and it doesn't get very hot, but YMMV.

I just noticed she says she hopes she answered all of my brother's questions. I bet this is a canned response :)

[FONT=&quot]Mr. ToddDubya,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thank you for taking the time to make your inquiry. It would be my pleasure to further assist you. Should you plan on keeping your unit in your vehicle I recommend that you don’t keep the product in direct sunlight. We advise that you place the unit(s) on the side door panel or the center console. This keeps it away from direct sunlight. The units should not be kept or exposed to temperatures that may exceed 120°F (indicated on the label), as extended exposure to these temperatures may cause the unit to discharge. Now, storing them in your trunk would also keep them out of direct sunlight, and although we have had people tell us they keep them in their trunks, you might want to take the extra measure of putting a thermometer in there to make sure it doesn't get too hot, for if it did, it could blow the top off, as a way for the increased pressure to be released. Just a word of caution. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]You will be pleased to know that our products do not freeze so keeping them even in extreme temperatures is possible. Although, in extremely low temperatures these products may lose a couple of feet however, the effectiveness will not diminish. The attacker will still feel the same effects if it were 80° degree weather. I have personally kept my 2oz. FIVE POINT THREE® unit in my vehicle the entire winter this past winter and temperatures reached well below -10°, and I can say that after giving my unit a quick half second burst, it worked. I depend on these products to keep me and my family safe in the winter as well as the summer time. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I hope I have answered all of your brothers questions. If not please feel free to contact me directly at 1-800-FOXLABS (369-5227).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Kindest Regards,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cinthia Velazquez[/FONT]

ToddDubya, thanks for sharing their e-mail response. The direct sunlight is not a problem but 120 degrees can easily be exceeded on a hot summer day especially if your interior is all black which my truck is.

Last edited:
I keep a can of sabre in my car 24/7 and have never had a problem. However, it's not sitting in my console, which may get more sunlight than the storage area, which has one of those pull out covers. It's also in my Get Home Bag wrapped in a couple of layers of zip locks. If it does happen to explode, I'm hoping the mess is limited to inside the pack.

Alot of you guy's have sprays that are a couple years old. I thought you were suppose to replace yearly due to the chemicals breaking down?

Alot of you guy's have sprays that are a couple years old. I thought you were suppose to replace yearly due to the chemicals breaking down?

Some last a few years, pee the mfg label. Fox Labs recommends every 3 years with testing every 6 months, IIRC.

Related question: Is the Kimber PepperBlaster II now legal in MA? I know there was some question on that a while back. [thinking]

Nothing is legal in MA!

This phrase on Kimber's website may raise that question.

Because it’s not pressurized like an aerosol spray, there’s no way it can lose pressure over time.

If it isn't an aerosol spray, how does it launch the charge? If it "fires" like a cartridge (my suspicion based on the quote), then MGL would probably categorize the cartridges as ammunition and maybe even the device = firearm (not 100% on that). That said, with a LTC it should not be an issue. With an FID, maybe and maybe not. Without an FID or LTC, it smells like trouble!

Are the cartridges replaceable? I can't find info on Kimber's website. I've seen it at Riley's but never really looked closely at it.

ETA: Just read the Q&A on Cabela's website. Seems to be single-use (2 shot, each .21 oz) and then trash. Expensive for that purpose ($40). BTW, Kimber claims 4 year shelf life and that nothing else has that long a shelf life. Lie! Just replaced my Sabre Red and it has a 4 year shelf life and is ~4 oz for ~1/3 the cost of the Kimber.

Last edited:
BLM riots don’t happen when it’s cold (funny how that works….🤔) so don’t worry about keeping bear spray in the side pocket in winter.

Summer time, crack yer window, at least one extra large can on each side.

I've had a can a pepper spray in the center console of my truck for four or five years, parked outside 24x7x365 the whole time. If you'd like to test it's potency we can make arrangements to do so. Could make for a fun thread.
I do the same but change the spray every year

Back
Top Bottom