What pepper spray is safe to store in a car? Can withstand extreme heat/cold...

I do the same but change the spray every year
I do the same but change the spray every year
Wife and I keep one can of Sabre (large model, intended for uniformed police) in the console of our SUV and another in our night table, next to the bed. We replace them when they expire and use the expired ones for practice. Never had a problem with heat or cold. Sabre and Fox are definitely among the best OC brands on the market. BTW, some guy down in South Carolina managed to breed the world's hottest pepper. Something like millions of heat units! Will be interesting to see if his product finds its way into OC cans. That would make for some ultra-bad-ass self defense spray!

THAT is a good question. I used to store a big can of bear spray under the seat....then though better of it, especially during the summer. If it let loose, would you have to total the car???

A car can get to 140F on a bad day
The smell will eventually go away, we had cans go off in vehicles over the years, not explode, but trigger gets hit. Windows down for a while, it's good. Every training class had that guy who would put his OC in the holder backwards and give us an exposure.

Keep it in a low and dark place. Under the seat or under the dash
how do you get to it if needed.

I have a couple of large cans of pepper spray in my pickup truck, one in each door pocket for the last 3 years, so i or the wife can get to it in bear country up north.
I guess I'm rethinking that, reading these posts. The truck sits in the direct sun and doesn't get much use. no issues yet. i hate to have one go off.
I would assume the heat would break down the spray over time.

I have saber its been in my car for 3 years no problem at all.
I had 2 Sabres in my truck from like 2010 until a year or two ago. Forgot they were there. Long expired. Took them out, emptied them into the yard. Worked fine. Effective? I don't know.
I typically don't garage my truck in winter, keeps the rust away.... so these saw maybe 10 years of -10 to 120+ whatever temp swings are in the cab.

how do you get to it if needed.

I have a couple of large cans of pepper spray in my pickup truck, one in each door pocket for the last 3 years, so i or the wife can get to it in bear country up north.
I guess I'm rethinking that, reading these posts. The truck sits in the direct sun and doesn't get much use. no issues yet. i hate to have one go off.
I would assume the heat would break down the spray over time.
I use quality velcro stick on. It has yet to unglue. If your vehicle has a good low door pocket that would work as well.

Wife and I keep one can of Sabre (large model, intended for uniformed police) in the console of our SUV and another in our night table, next to the bed. We replace them when they expire and use the expired ones for practice. Never had a problem with heat or cold. Sabre and Fox are definitely among the best OC brands on the market. BTW, some guy down in South Carolina managed to breed the world's hottest pepper. Something like millions of heat units! Will be interesting to see if his product finds its way into OC cans. That would make for some ultra-bad-ass self defense spray!
this is even better as a backup in case you get a ftf from the pepper spray

Attachments

• OIP-3.jpg
    OIP-3.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 16
I've had a can a pepper spray in the center console of my truck for four or five years, parked outside 24x7x365 the whole time. If you'd like to test it's potency we can make arrangements to do so. Could make for a fun thread.
It does expire

Alot of you guy's have sprays that are a couple years old. I thought you were suppose to replace yearly due to the chemicals breaking down?
Had a couple work cans in AZ. Tried them out after a few years, and the spray just dribbled out. I always believed in NOT test firing them first, since once you crack the seal they will eventually lose propellant. However, some officers had brand new cans that wouldn't fire. The button was locked, so after that I would test fire first.
Nothing is legal in MA!

This phrase on Kimber's website may raise that question.

If it isn't an aerosol spray, how does it launch the charge? If it "fires" like a cartridge (my suspicion based on the quote), then MGL would probably categorize the cartridges as ammunition and maybe even the device = firearm (not 100% on that). That said, with a LTC it should not be an issue. With an FID, maybe and maybe not. Without an FID or LTC, it smells like trouble!

Are the cartridges replaceable? I can't find info on Kimber's website. I've seen it at Riley's but never really looked closely at it.

ETA: Just read the Q&A on Cabela's website. Seems to be single-use (2 shot, each .21 oz) and then trash. Expensive for that purpose ($40). BTW, Kimber claims 4 year shelf life and that nothing else has that long a shelf life. Lie! Just replaced my Sabre Red and it has a 4 year shelf life and is ~4 oz for ~1/3 the cost of the Kimber.
The PepperBlasters use a primer to propel the water based liquid. I carry one of those since it is always windy, and they seem to have lasted in a hot/cold car. As someone else mentioned, it does suck that it's $40 for 2 shots, and you can't test fire them.

Just picked up a replacement for my 2nd Kimber PepperBlaster. I noticed this one has an expiration date listed. I also looked at the included brochure. Recommended temperatures listed. It does mention "pyrotechnic" fired, and IIRC I read that this was shotgun primers.

Attachments

• IMG_20231124_170826295.jpg
    IMG_20231124_170826295.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20231124_170739443.jpg
    IMG_20231124_170739443.jpg
    657.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20231124_170801478.jpg
    IMG_20231124_170801478.jpg
    806.5 KB · Views: 7
Just picked up a replacement for my 2nd Kimber PepperBlaster. I noticed this one has an expiration date listed. I also looked at the included brochure. Recommended temperatures listed. It does mention "pyrotechnic" fired, and IIRC I read that this was shotgun primers.
If it uses primers, your car will never get hot enough to ignite them. If your car gets that hot, it is on fire. Primers ignite around 650 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom