.308 at 1700 yards

Just came back from a rifle class with Todd Hodnett at Accuracy 1st in TX.

Hit 16 inch plates at 1600 meters (1 mile) with .308s! It was awesome!

hodnett.jpg

Last edited:
Targets of that size are not visible to the naked eye at that distance.

- - - Updated - - -

I was using an LaRue Tactical OBR with Bushnell Elite Tactical 3.5x21 scope.

I believe that OBRs are 1:11. Todd's personal OBR has a custom barrel with 1:7. Was using Hornady Superformance 178s.

You are right, once bullets go subsonic, they loose BC continually. Not being able to shoot past subsonic is a common myth. The instructor for my last long range class, a Marine Scout Sniper, said that 1200 is the limit for 308s as they are not controllable in subsonic flight--Not true!

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Look at all that beautiful freedom.

+1 It killed me to come back

Re: .308 at 1600 yards

Put a Porsche out there, you wont hit a damn thing.

Kidding. That's really cool you did that. Not many people can say that.

How much is the class that's something I'd like to do.

Don't know as I took the class for a Guns and Ammo magazine article.

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome indeed - great picts - looked like a good day for shooting.

Could you hear the hits on the plates or too far away?

Not from 1600. We heard plates from surprising long distances, but I don't remember the limit.

Yes, I have been writing for Guns and Ammo for since 2006. Much of my current work is for the specialty publications: Combat Arms, Book of the AR15, Book of the AK, Book of the 1911, etc. Many of my articles are posted at my site: ARMED RESPONSE TRAINING - DVDs & Books. I have not posted for the last few years though due to lack of time to pdf them all.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, really? I think you need your sense of humor calibrated.

LOL considering that 1000 yards is common with a 5.56 AR, I thought he was serious about iron sights!

Last edited:
The Primary thrust of the article will be about Todd's TReMoR II drop down mil reticle that is produced by Horus Vision. Using Horus is MUCH faster than dialing turrets and just as accurate.

Very cool and not asking away from this feat but 1 mile = 1760 yards.

then again, it is Texas and texans will tell you things are bigger in Texas so it stands to reason a yard is bigger in Texas. If that someone's yard in the picture, that yard is a shitload bigger than my yard.

Last edited:

then again, it is Texas and texans will tell you things are bigger in Texas so it stands to reason a yard is bigger in Texas. If that someone's yard in the picture, that yard is a shitload bigger than my yard.

Darn, I never did the math myself, but you are right. It must be that yards are bigger in TX, he was using "new math" or rounding up!. The drink cups at the restaurants were the biggest that I have ever seen. LOL

Thinking back, it was probably meters, not yards and I miss remembered. Text amended.

Last edited:
Re: .308 at 1600 yards

Right. A mile is 1600 meters. 1609 to be exact. Knew that from high school track...

What elevation were you at when shooting at that distance? I don't see that same shot being done at sea level... also, I assume the scope was mounted on an angled scope base, elevation adjustment was maxed and you still had to use a holdover?

Last edited:
Yes, I have been writing for Guns and Ammo for since 2006. Much of my current work is for the specialty publications: Combat Arms, Book of the AR15, Book of the AK, Book of the 1911, etc. Many of my articles are posted at my site: ARMED RESPONSE TRAINING - DVDs & Books. I have not posted for the last few years though due to lack of time to pdf them all.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL considering that 1000 yards is common with a 5.56 AR, I thought he was serious about iron sights!

I have done 1000 yards with irons but an optic would have made it that much easier, hell 72" target at 1000 yards is tiny to the naked eye. I was just hoping to get some gear specs to be reaching out to 1600, I was always under the assumption that the .308 isn't worth much after 1k but stretching it out to 1.6k is excellent. Not that we have the means to go that far out here in N.E.

I have done 1000 yards with irons but an optic would have made it that much easier, hell 72" target at 1000 yards is tiny to the naked eye. I was just hoping to get some gear specs to be reaching out to 1600, I was always under the assumption that the .308 isn't worth much after 1k but stretching it out to 1.6k is excellent. Not that we have the means to go that far out here in N.E.

72" with the eye is tiny. We were shooting 16" plates at 1600. The assumption that .308 is useless after 1k is common--almost universal, but wrong. Not only hits can be made, it has the force of approx a .45acp at point blank range I believe

Just came back from a rifle class with Todd Hodnett at Accuracy 1st in TX.

Hit 16 inch plates at 1600 yards (nearly 1 mile) with .308s! It was awesome!

View attachment 62627
Awesome. [smile]

I've shot out to 550, but not beyond, and only with 5.56. It was a windy day, but it was gusting, so I could wait for the pause between gusts to squeeze off the shot. I'd love to get some trigger time behind something bigger, at greater distance, and in worse conditions, but time and lack of facilities (or money to travel to said facilities) has limited me.

David, I'm curious, how many MOA of come-up did you have cranked in at 1,600y? I've never bothered to generate come-up tables that far out but the bullet must have been coming down at a pretty steep angle.

Wicked jealous.

Back
Top Bottom