3 Y/O S.C. Boy Killed After Mistaking Pink Handgun For Toy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to disagree a bit. It is sad. It's tragic! But these parents deserve the sorrow they are feeling right now and then some. They deserve to go to jail for being F%$#ing idiots and leaving a loaded pistol where their children could get a hold of it!

100% the fault of whomever left the loaded gun within reach of a 7 year old. I assume it was a parent. I'm not sure I agree with jail. Do they deserve more punishment than losing a child? Will it 'rehabilitate' them? Will it deter the next one?

I would take their guns and put them on probation for a very long time. Jail costs too much, and I seriously don't see jail accomplishing anything in this case.

I was at GFA last week with my wife as she bought her first gun (a Walther PK380). As we were waiting for the paperwork, I pointed to a pink Walther P22 under the counter, and suggested we buy that one as well for cheap practice. Her response was that it made her uncomfortable because it looked like a toy gun.

I too believe that the primary issue is one of unsafe storage and improper training. My kids (4 and 7) have been drilled from the time they could talk on what to do if they see a real gun (at home or at a friends). 1. Don't touch it, 2. Tell a grown up. The problem I see here is being able to tell a real gun from a fake gun. I don't think that gun colors should be legislated, people should be able to buy whatever the heck floats their boat, but as a parent, one of my duties is to make sure that my kids can tell the real guns from their toy guns! Even though I am anal about proper storage, I know I'm not perfect, and want to do everything in my power to make sure that my kids make safe decisions if I ever slip up.

This is sad as hell. It should have had an eleven pound trigger. /sarc

Who the **** leaves a loaded pistol where a three year-old can get it?

We "gun people" need to police ourselves better, or the .gov will try to do it for us.

This! Why the hell are you guys talking about the color of the gun as the problem instead of the fact that some jack ass left a loaded gun where their kids could get it?!?!

...I suppose the libtard infection is polluting everything; I'm pretty sure the big argument right now is that some guns should be banned because they are scary looking...now you want to argue about banning others for their paint job? So, now we cannot have black, pink, blue, orange... only stainless or some version thereof? Wait until they figure out how to work it so they can rule "the plumber thought the rifle was a pipe and handed it to his friend, when it fired, killing his friend instantly" and silver colored guns will be on the chopping block as well.

THE COLOR DOES NOT MATTER, blame the jack ass gun owner, not the color of the gun, numbnuts.

Clarification edit: Not directed at you, StevieP. You figured this out quick [laugh]

Last edited:
What scarecrow said. And what does a toy gun look like anyway? I am not that old, and I remember having silver and black toy guns when I was little. Super soakers were bright colors, but most of the toy guns were "normal"gun gun colors. I have never seen a pink toy gun....

The pink epoxy paint finish on the gun had nothing to do with it, it just makes for a good media head-line and deflects the blame from the parents to the gun industry. When Glocks first became popular in the US, there were reports of kids who shot themselves with glocks, claiming that they thought it was toy because it was made from plastic.

Why was a loaded pistol left were a 3 year old and 7 year old had easy access to it?
Why didn't the 7 year old know how to safetly handle the handgun?
Why didn't the 7 year old know that there was a gun in the house and exactly what it looked like (my 5 year old knows which guns are mine and not to to play with them)
Why were the 7 year old and 3 year old pointing a toy gun at close range at the 3 year old's head?

Anti-gun ownership and gun control advocates aversion to exposing children to the dangers and safe handling of firearms places children in more danger. If these kids had been exposed to firearms and properly trained in safe handling, this young life may not have been lost.

I started gun safety lessons for my then 3-yr old before I even bought my first gun. I always believed I could make a mistake and leave the gun unattended, and the only sure way to keep my children safe is to teach them gun safety early and often.

By the time I took them to gun range the first time, they both earned praises of their muzzle and trigger dicipline from RO's.

Right said. In my opinion, by the time they are ~5-7, they should have fired enough rounds so that the "thrill" of playing with guns is gone, and respect for the basic safety rules is instilled. Even if you have your guns secured, there is no telling what they might find at a friend's house or on the street.

Of course...good luck fininding a range where you can bring a 5 y.o. to to shoot nowadays!

My dad started me off young...

three_loan_wolves_-_baby_gun_1_t500x375.jpg

( from the three stooges )

Serious though, color or not who the **** leaves a loaded gun laying around with children in the home, my god people its almost like we deserve our beatings.

Just saying

It's not even April 1st and you all fell for a fake story. No dead kid, no pink gun, no tragedy, no Zappa actually vetting something before he posted it.

They won't let us have scary looking AR's ... and now they're probably not going to let us have "cute" guns either .. what are we to do! #confused

It's not even April 1st and you all fell for a fake story. No dead kid, no pink gun, no tragedy, no Zappa actually vetting something before he posted it.

The story is real, and has been covered by local news. There was a retraction of an error in the manufacturer of the gun in question.

The funeral service for the boy is being held today.

The story is real, and has been covered by local news. There was a retraction of an error in the manufacturer of the gun in question.

The funeral service for the boy is being held today.

Can you point me to a story that is not a blog repost, not on a forum, not on a parody site? I can find a story for a child killed by an accidental gun shot, but not one that shows an original source or one that says that it involved a pink handgun. Maybe my internet search skills are weak today, but it seems that someone might have taken an original story and fraudulently added the whole pink gun thing.

Can you point me to a story that is not a blog repost, not on a forum, not on a parody site? I can find a story for a child killed by an accidental gun shot, but not one that shows an original source or one that says that it involved a pink handgun. Maybe my internet search skills are weak today, but it seems that someone might have taken an original story and fraudulently added the whole pink gun thing.

Here you go:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/art...-police-say-toddler-shooting-death-accidental

Gary,

Next time, take 10 seconds to run a google search before you call something out as being faked. There at least a dozen different local news outlets with articles up on their websites about it. Zappa posted the one I linked in the other thread that someone started with the same comments.

Let's see:
Huffinton Post: Tmorej Smith, 3, Killed After Reportedly Mistaking Pink Handgun For Toy
Sanfransciso Gate: Greenville boy killed by gunshot was with sister - SFGate
WSPA News 7 (CBS) 3-year-old Shot In The Head, Killed While Playing With Gun | WSPA
The Examiner Three-year-old dead after mistaking pink handgun for toy - National Crime & Courts | Examiner.com
KPHO CBS News 5 in AZ Police: Boy playing with gun when killed - CBS 5 - KPHO
WBTV 3 News Greenville boy killed by gunshot was with sister - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC
The Associated Press News from The Associated Press
WSMV Channel 4 Nashville Pink gun mistaken for toy; 3-year-old killed - WSMV Channel 4
WYFF Channel 4 Greensville GPD: Pink gun mistaken for toy; 3-year-old killed | Greenville News - WYFF Home

Is that enough "reputable" news sources?

Gary,

Next time, take 10 seconds to run a google search before you call something out as being faked. There at least a dozen different local news outlets with articles up on their websites about it. Zappa posted the one I linked in the other thread that someone started with the same comments.

Let's see:
Huffinton Post: Tmorej Smith, 3, Killed After Reportedly Mistaking Pink Handgun For Toy
Sanfransciso Gate: Greenville boy killed by gunshot was with sister - SFGate
WSPA News 7 (CBS) 3-year-old Shot In The Head, Killed While Playing With Gun | WSPA
The Examiner Three-year-old dead after mistaking pink handgun for toy - National Crime & Courts | Examiner.com
KPHO CBS News 5 in AZ Police: Boy playing with gun when killed - CBS 5 - KPHO
WBTV 3 News Greenville boy killed by gunshot was with sister - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC
The Associated Press News from The Associated Press
WSMV Channel 4 Nashville Pink gun mistaken for toy; 3-year-old killed - WSMV Channel 4
WYFF Channel 4 Greensville GPD: Pink gun mistaken for toy; 3-year-old killed | Greenville News - WYFF Home

Is that enough "reputable" news sources?

Easy boy, easy...
Maybe my internet search skills are weak today...

Oh, so this wouldn't have happened if the gun that the parent(s) let the child play with was black or stainless?

This. FWIW, and I am not advocating more laws. But having a "fun colored gun" is just stupid AND toy guns should all have orange muzzle shrouds to there is NO CONFUSION.

Kid's should know. If it's orange, it's ok to play with . Any other color, leave it the hell alone.
No, kids should know not to point the frigging thing at their heads. And unless you actually SEE a Nerf dart sticking out of the muzzle, don't point it at anyone else's head, either.

IMO, guns should NOT be pink, or any other colors besides variations of black, grey, or stainless.

While it's a tragic occurrence, it's one that could have been [easily] avoided. If you have kids, don't leave your firearms where they can get to them. Also start teaching them gun safety from a very early age.

I think pink guns are ugly, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't exist. Teach... your children well... [/Crosby, Stills, Nash, Young, Dewey, Cheatem & Howe]

Nope. No quote from the police about a pink gun. Just the reporter's say so and it's likely he just took it off the Internet. I want one of the police officers being directly quoted that it was a pink gun. If it were true, it would be all over CNN, MSNBC, and some politician would go on the record with it. In fact, based on some of his previous statements about Cerakoting guns, I'd expect Bloomberg himself to jump on this.

I remain skeptical.

No, kids should know not to point the frigging thing at their heads. And unless you actually SEE a Nerf dart sticking out of the muzzle, don't point it at anyone else's head, either.

But yet, it's ok for an airsoft gun to be shot at other players?

What I am getting at is that this isn't like the magazine or AWB issue. A pink gun shoots no differently than a black, blued, or stainless gun. So why is is pink? "To look cute."

Sorry, but there is no reason for a gun to be pink ever and in my eyes if you paint your gun pink, you don't deserve a gun. Flip side is that there is no reason to NOT have an orange muzzle on a toy gun.

If you are ****ing stupid you can either have kids or firearms.. Not both...

Just restoring balance to the Force.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom