• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

3/27/23 Nashville School Shooting

NYT finally comes through with an editorial opinion:

“A person who accepts the immense challenges of teaching children shouldn’t be obliged to accept the responsibility of shielding them from bullets, too. And yet every teacher does exactly that. Every single one of them scans every classroom they enter, looking for the hiding places, testing the locks on doors.

There’s nothing they can do to keep their students, or their own children, from being next. But you could, Governor Lee, if you wanted to. You may be the only one in this entire state who could do something to protect our children. You could do it, if you wanted to.

You could support legislation that would ban assault weapons. I’m not so naïve as to believe that banning assault weapons would prevent all school shootings, but it would prevent many, many deaths. It would slow the rampage. It would give police officers — who even more than teachers are called to put their lives on the line to protect us — a fighting chance. Weapons of war do not belong in the hands of civilians. We all know that. You know that.“

Yeah, banning “assault weapons” would work at least as well as banning illegal opioids, with 110k deaths and ~$1/2 billion spent on enforcement. In the Nashville shooting, police could hardly have been expected to have done better if the perp only had a pistol and 10rd mags.

Because the Safe Act worked so well.................

This country is in really sad shape. We are living in an era where the vast majority refuses to take responsibly for their actions, whether they are small or large and society condones it.

They get a speeding ticket they lie to get out of it instead of taking responsibility, paying the ticket, and hopefully learning something in the process.

Someone has an accident while driving drunk and they blame it on the alcohol, or the bar, or the bartender. News flash, no one forced you to drink those drinks.

Or it’s because of their skin color, or their ethnicity, or their upbringing, or their lack of money. I could go on and on.

Someone shoots someone and it’s the guns fault. Nope, some dipshit pulled the trigger and is responsible for their actions.

I grew up with guns in the closet and ammunition on the shelf. I had open access to guns and ammo (The horror😆) and neither I nor my brothers used them to harm people.

Most today seem to have no respect for law enforcement, or the legal system as they mostly get a slap on the wrist and sent in their way. It seems common for repeat offenders to 20,30,40, or even more than a hundred arrests and/or arraignments.

It wasn’t this way when I grew up. Society has shifted in a major way and until it shifts back, unfortunately, this is they way it will be.

This country is in really sad shape. We are living in an era where the vast majority refuses to take responsibly for their actions, whether they are small or large and society condones it.

They get a speeding ticket they lie to get out of it instead of taking responsibility, paying the ticket, and hopefully learning something in the process.

Someone has an accident while driving drunk and they blame it on the alcohol, or the bar, or the bartender. News flash, no one forced you to drink those drinks.

Or it’s because of their skin color, or their ethnicity, or their upbringing, or their lack of money. I could go on and on.

Someone shoots someone and it’s the guns fault. Nope, some dipshit pulled the trigger and is responsible for their actions.

I grew up with guns in the closet and ammunition on the shelf. I had open access to guns and ammo (The horror😆) and neither I nor my brothers used them to harm people.

Most today seem to have no respect for law enforcement, or the legal system as they mostly get a slap on the wrist and sent in their way. It seems common for repeat offenders to 20,30,40, or even more than a hundred arrests and/or arraignments.

It wasn’t this way when I grew up. Society has shifted in a major way and until it shifts back, unfortunately, this is they way it will be.
Stop making sense! They Dindu Nuffin!

I've been saying this to people for a long time, When I was a kid almost every house had guns and ammo hanging on a wall or behind a door or stuffed in a closet and this was not in the countryside either, its not the f***ing guns!!

progressive liberalism is a mental illness

I've been saying this to people for a long time, When I was a kid almost every house had guns and ammo hanging on a wall or behind a door or stuffed in a closet and this was not in the countryside either, its not the f***ing guns!!
the good 'ol days

schoolkids-learning-firearm-safety-in-indiana-1956-3.jpg

I'm going with she/he was bullied in school and that hatred sat deep in her brain. When she transitioned to a male I'm sure she started getting bullied again and all that childhood crap came to the front. Mix it all together and the hate/rage was probably strong in her. She wanted to lash out and she did in a very traumatic way. I'm betting there are a lot more people like this just waiting in the wings for their lid to blow off and wanting to make a mark on society. Honestly, with that amount of rage he/she was having I'm surprised there were only 6 that were killed.

I'm going with she/he was bullied in school and that hatred sat deep in her brain. When she transitioned to a male I'm sure she started getting bullied again and all that childhood crap came to the front. Mix it all together and the hate/rage was probably strong in her. She wanted to lash out and she did in a very traumatic way. I'm betting there are a lot more people like this just waiting in the wings for their lid to blow off and wanting to make a mark on society. Honestly, with that amount of rage he/she was having I'm surprised there were only 6 that were killed.
Shotties/gasoline/poisoning reservoirs aren't (yet) hip and trendy.

The statistics on deaths from accidental discharge have been collected over half a century. The data shows that the number of deaths has continuously declined. This is good. Well, it also means there used to be many more deaths resulting from AD's. The data does not put children into separate buckets, but it is reasonable to assume that children under 18 are evenly represented in the data. This means that children died from guns(by AD) a lot more in the past than today. The significant difference between households of 30-40 years ago and today is the secured storage of firearms in a home. so the claim that lack of secure firearm storage in the past did not result in increased deaths of children is not supported by the data.

P.S. I do not claim that secure storage is the primary reason for a decrease in the deaths of children. The popularity of firearm training has been on the rise for several decades now. The # of firearm instructors in the US has increased 6x since 1980, according to NRA. The reason so many instructors can make a living is because Americans train! Firearm owners today are better trained than ever before. As with aviation(or any other potentially dangerous endeavor), safety can be achieved through proficiency, which can only be achieved through training.

San Bernardino. But that exception kind of proves the rule of lone wolves.

It's like you've actually read the Final Report of the Safe Schools Initiative. That makes two of us...

I read it as upset in the other direction. Wanted to go elsewhere. Didn't want to attack that school. Felt like that choice was taken away.

Obviously, a lot of this is complicated, and most can't be known. But much of it seems to align with my readings of the (above-noted) Final Report.

This thread includes a link to the report...

Interesting that the link in your post from 2018 is dead - I havent gone looking, but I wonder why the disappeared

All of what you said is quite plausible. The fact remains though that our education system has been grooming our children in this direction for decades. In this sector of our institutions, the fix has been in for a long time. Now all the other, major institutions (medical, big business, government, even most churches) have just followed suit. It is the "long march through the institutions" Italian communist Antonio Gramsci spoke of. It's pretty much complete!

Mental illness is now simply being socially and medically PROMOTED, let alone accepted.

Did you know most these hormone-blocking drugs doctors are using on American teenagers who think they want to "transition", aren't even FDA-approved?

Jesus is coming soon, I'm pretty certain!

Yes. Mostly because, apparently, the classroom doors were barricaded and the kids inside were out of the line of fire.

Doesn't adding a simple lock on the inside of each door seem like a reasonable, low cost, non-controversial step that may not reduce the number of these attacks but at least save a bunch of lives when one occurs?

Whether its tranny wannabe GI Joe or COD obsessed psychos, I doubt any of them have the patience to fiddle around too long with locked doors (assuming police respond faster than those Uvalde cowards). Maybe I'm missing some safety reason not to have them?

Not feeling great about the FBI injecting itself in the middle of this. Could be scrubbing any hints at alphabet agency nudging.

"“The manifesto is going to be released. It’s just a matter of when. There are some incredibly brilliant psychological minds and psychological analysts combing through her entire life,” added Swope, who is a member of the city council’s Public Safety, Beer and Regulated Beverages Committee."

Well then. Now I'm at ease.

Doesn't adding a simple lock on the inside of each door seem like a reasonable, low cost, non-controversial step that may not reduce the number of these attacks but at least save a bunch of lives when one occurs?

Classroom doors already have locks. Are you talking about a separate one? It's not low-cost once you consider the number of doors in an entire district and the price of a locksmith to do the work.

Classrooms already have tables and desks to block doorways. We're trained every year on how to do it, and it works. Any school that's not doing similar training is behind the eight-ball.

The assumption is that the shooter will shoot out the windows in the classroom doors, then will NOT be able to gain easy entry through them. So he'll move on in hopes of finding an un-barricaded room. If that happens enough times, well, that's how you buy time for the cavalry to arrive. And if every classroom does its part and constructs the barricade properly, opportunities to kill kids shrink very dramatically.

The issues are variables like substitutes and teachers on preps who leave their doors unlocked. Some do.

"“The manifesto is going to be released. It’s just a matter of when. There are some incredibly brilliant psychological minds and psychological analysts combing through her entire life,” added Swope, who is a member of the city council’s Public Safety, Beer and Regulated Beverages Committee."
Wait, what!? Whose "brilliant" idea was to have a member of the "Beer and Safety Committee" speak about the investigation!? Beer. Beer Committee. How sober was that mothe$#^@er?!

The two images were taken by two different cameras in two different areas
The security camera image is from a high aspect therefore vertical spacing is going to be compressed.
The shoe subtends a very small part of the image therefore the color details (that's all there is except the stripe) are spread across a very small number of pixels. This will cause problems from the Bayer matrix sub sampling in the chromo and reduced resolution for features of similar luminance but different chroma - in other words the details simply go away.

The body cam image is from a small angle and much closer putting a lot more pixels on the shoe so the sub sampling still allows reproduction of the similarly bright but differently colored areas.
Either @pastera is an AMAZIN BS artist or he might know what he's talking about.

That's the big question for me- who/what made her a school shooter? Whatever it was, no doubt she was motivated enough to shoot her way into a locked facility then apparently seek specific targets. The head of the school, the custodian, and a pastor's kid were very specific targets. Even if mentally ill, what drives a person to commit such crimes?

I'm sure there will be the usual cadre of religion haters who will assume the school was an oppressive Christian freak show environment and was 'asking for it'. IMHO it is unlikely that the school had any unusual issues such as excessive bullying that would have made it a trigger. Our neighbor kid attended that school at exactly the same time as the shooter. Our neighbor was a very cute kid, but in more of a Wednesday Addams way than some blonde Stepford child way. She was slightly quiet and introverted, intelligent, and a bit mature for her years- exactly the type to be picked on if there had been a negative dynamic like that. She really liked her school. We knew this because her home life was absolute shit and she was at our place a lot to escape that and hang out with my wife and I. Also my wife's office was literally ~200 yards from that school and some of her coworkers' kids attended. They were all happy with the school. While we don't know them personally, the deceased principal and the pastor's family who lost the little girl are friends of friends. No rumors that there was any specific revenge in play.

It's sickening, no matter the motivation.
if you get the wrong anti depressants it f******s your mind up.

I'm not saying its an excuse to go shoot kids. But that stuff has some serious side effects

I Have a person i used to be friends with have severe depression...my advice was dont marry a gold digging whore... but hey whatever he went another route.

Anywho he gets real bad and cycles through several of these until he hits the one that bounces him back to normalish

But in between that one and the beginning he hit some dark and weird places and say what you want about his bitch of a wife.

But to quote another crazy person

She aint messing with no broke n word

So she would be like nope go back to the doc get on other shit. Lot of people think its one size fits all and docs push to keep you on one drug and not bounce around

Careful with that standard.

You've read some of the posts here by our glowier members. It would be pretty easy to take those posts and call NES a "terrorist organization" under that rubric, if one of us ever went off the reservation.
With all due respect my friend, I am pretty sure that is exactly how we are viewed. Especially you and I, due to military experience.
In fact, I suspect they consider anyone that has a paid membership to a gun forum, a terrorist or potential terrorist.

And I just can't figure out why people look at gun owners that way. I can't think of many other groups that you know have not commited a serious crime, including a DUI, have never been convicted felony, and are subject to a background check. But we are the problem.
🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom