• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Norinco-USA???

I know we'll never see any Norinco AK types here in Massachusetts[frown], but I'd like to see some new production SKS rifles by them.[grin]

US owned and American made ?

Supposedly. The scuttlebutt on the streets, (or make that the Net), is that Norinco-USA will begin production from the ground up on AK variants, (no kit builds) and various other firearms - including the M14 in 2009. They licensed the Norinco name and will be obtaining machinery from Norinco in China, but the builds will be 100% US. Apparently they have a booth set up for SHOT, so any NES-ers fortunate enough to go, should check it out. A few folks I know in the industry will be for sure.

What does this mean? Well, potentially not much - or potentially a lot. I think it will greatly depend on the next POTUS/House/Senate and Norinco's handling of the marketplace. I'm not an "AK Man", but I am an M1A/M14 fanatic. If Norinco endeavors to provide the American market with the same quality forged M14 receivers at the prices at or anywhere near the prices of our Canadian brethren, ($399.00 for a full build!!!), then they could set Springfield Armory, LRB, Fulton et-al on their collective ears. M1A/M14's are priced into the stratosphere - especially LRB's and Fultons basic rifles. If one could buy a forged spec receiver for the same cost as say an AR-15 receiver, then it's a whole new ball-game folks....

If Norinco endeavors to provide the American market with the same quality forged M14 receivers at the prices at or anywhere near the prices of our Canadian brethren, ($399.00 for a full build!!!), then they could set Springfield Armory, LRB, Fulton et-al on their collective ears. M1A/M14's are priced into the stratosphere - especially LRB's and Fultons basic rifles. If one could buy a forged spec receiver for the same cost as say an AR-15 receiver, then it's a whole new ball-game folks....

And I'll finally be able to afford to step up to the plate. [smile]

I'd hang on to the older norinco m14's or should i say the poly tech ones just incase the prices on the orginal imported ones may go thru the roof because they will be sought after by collectors.

Forged receivers thats awesome...I can't wait to get a few.

Some say they shoot great in there orginal condition and some say to upgrade the inners to the GI american stuff and you have a top shelf M14. Fulton Armory does this poly tech upgrade and rehardens the receiver to around 56c or 57c.(rockwell) They say the forged receiver is a tad soft.

Either way we end up with an affordable M14.....

I hope they offer the sks and the 1911's too.

Last edited:
A lot of the Chinese parts won't fit American guns and vice versa, but the receivers are supposed to be a good starting point.

A lot of the Chinese parts won't fit American guns and vice versa, but the receivers are supposed to be a good starting point.

The only parts that really needs to be changed is the sight assembly, the hammer, and maybe the bolt, because of hardness issues. I sent mine out to Smith Enterprises to have Ron check it out. He tested the receiver and said it didn't need to be heat treated. He did change out the bolt for a US one. I swapped out the sight assembly.
The finish is maybe a little on the crude side, but other than that, it's a pretty nice shooter.
If they start selling these again, they are going to put a hurt on Springfield, Armscorp, Fulton, LRB, etc..

It's so preliminary that nobody really knows what's going to happen with this. I'm sure folks going to SHOT will check out their booth and try to separate fantasy from reality. Suffice it to say that if Norinco-USA really does begin to manufacture good quality forged M-14 receivers at a price that's competitive with Canadian pricing, it could mean a whole new shift in the game for M-14 shooters. If it's true that NU purchased machine equipment from NC and if it's true that they really begin the process of machining receivers, then we'll all benefit in the end....Right now though, it seems a pipe dream, but sometimes those dreams come to fruition....

Back
Top Bottom