• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Impulse buy on Norinco SKS. How did I do?

This was definitely an impulse buy. I know very little on SKS's so I'm trying to get your opinions on how I did.

$500

Norinco SKS with bayonet
810 rounds of Wolf
30 round pro-mag
Seems like it's an Advanced Technologies stock (missing cheekrest)
Has a scope mount mounted as well (not sure if it's original or not)

So...tell me. Good or bad?

1e11km.jpg

30agemu.jpg

29dbyqg.jpg

2q0lhc9.jpg

to me but just my opinion, an sks needs to be stock. but that's just me.you did good as the ammo is about 200 bucks worth.
This is mine I refinished after I bought it loaded in cosmoline.
it's one of my FAV shooters. never an issue.

Last edited:
to me but just my opinion, an sks needs to be stock. but that's just me.you did good as the ammo is about 200 bucks worth.
This is mine I refinished after I bought it loaded in cosmoline.
it's one of my FAV shooters. never an issue.

Yes I agree. I don't like the stock. I would prefer original wood but yeah....this was an impulse buy.
I'm considering trading this for an AK or something.

Yes I agree. I don't like the stock. I would prefer original wood but yeah....this was an impulse buy.
you can get an sks wood stock very cheap, 35-60 bucks. refinish costs maybe 20 bucks.
return it back to wood and put it away. prices will only go up

Last edited:

Shoot it before you do anything. I love my SKS, prefer it over an AK having shot both.

I never cared for those stocks. They always felt kinda flimsy and awkward.

A new stock set can be found for fairly cheap money. If the gas tube wood was screwed with, it's a PITA to replace and you can get a factory receiver cover for about $25.

The ammo is worth about $200 and the rifle in original stock would be about $350.

The mag is a different story. Some people like them, most don't.

I agree, it was a decent deal. That is about $200 worth of ammo, and the mag is worth about $20ish. You could probably sell that stock for about what you would pay for a replacement wood stock.

I hadn't shot my SKSs in a while, but today I took one to the range with a couple of AKs. The SKS is much more enjoyable to shoot and gives better groups. Shooting an AK from the bench is like getting punched in the face repeatedly.

Definitely shoot it before you decide to get rid of it. They really are nice rifles to shoot. Practice your fast-reloading with the stripper clips. You might just decide you don't need an AK at all.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Is the scope mount aftermarket? I glanced at it but couldn't find mounting screws.

It's probably machined into the dust cover, and I assume it is aftermarket. To get rid of it you would have to buy another dust cover.

Does it interfere with your sight picture?

It's probably machined into the dust cover, and I assume it is aftermarket. To get rid of it you would have to buy another dust cover.

Does it interfere with your sight picture?

Yes it does. I'm glad you guys know this stuff...

I'm keeping the gun.

Bought a Timber Smith stock. I had an option to buy an original stock but it wasn't going to be matching numbers to my gun...so I said F it.

I had to modify the heat shield because it was too long to fit in between the metal keepers. It as about 3/16 too long. It was def a pain to get it to fit.

Then I cut a channel for the Bayonet.

An original dust cover is coming in the mail so I can get rid of that ugly scope mount.

2wembue.jpg

Back
Top Bottom