M1 garands coming to USA ?

Unfortunately the c***sucker in chief won't allow them citing all the gang bangers will use them for drive by's ect

like Maninblue says, there is an executive order disallowing the re-import of exported US produced arms. For this to change, we would need a president willing to revoke that EO. Seeing as Bush didn't revoke any of Clinton's anti import EO, my guess is that Obama's EO will remain in perpetuity.

One point of clarification: Any of these guns, if reimported, will almost certainly go through an importer like Blue Sky or CAI. You will NOT see these guns come back in through the CMP. For the guns to go back through the CMP, the DOD would have to bring them back and not a private entity.

One point of clarification: Any of these guns, if reimported, will almost certainly go through an importer like Blue Sky or CAI. You will NOT see these guns come back in through the CMP. For the guns to go back through the CMP, the DOD would have to bring them back and not a private entity.

It's like he's trying to speak to me, I know it!

What does that mean? CMP would make it cheaper on the end buyer or something?

On the CMP note - given the executive order, these are more likely to end up in the US through the CMP than any other route. There is still a chance that the DOD brings them back for the CMP (not a great one though), where the importer route is barred.

CMP would likely sell them for 2/3 or half what the importers would be asking.

On the CMP note - given the executive order, these are more likely to end up in the US through the CMP than any other route.
And you know this how exactly?

Remember, CAI had already struck a deal to bring them back, buying them from the Korean government for $30 million. The Obama administration under political pressure scuttled the approval that had been given by the State Department, DOD, and DOJ.

You think the Koreans are gonna say "**** it, instead of making $30 million, we'll just GIVE them back to the DOD." Really?

I think it's likely the approval simply gets reversed in a subsequent administration. The leg work has already been done.

Last edited:
It would be great if the Korean Garands and carbines made their way back home but most likely they're in sewer pipe condition and have been that way for 50+ years.

On the CMP note - given the executive order, these are more likely to end up in the US through the CMP than any other route. There is still a chance that the DOD brings them back for the CMP (not a great one though), where the importer route is barred.

CMP would likely sell them for 2/3 or half what the importers would be asking.

The current COO of the CMP said that there's no chance of the CMP getting them.

From what I've heard these are pretty beat up anyway.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=24537
Orest Michaels said:
The rumors, reports, articles about Korea "selling" Garands and carbines have been circulating for at least ten years. About nine months ago the Korea Times once again reported that they would be selling Garands and carbines to a US importer. The CMP is not a firearms importer and we would not have any involvement of any kind in anything that may happen with these Korean rifles and carbines if they were “sold” to an importer.

The only way any rifle or carbine from any country can find its way to the CMP is if the country returns “loaned” rifles back to the US Army - at no cost to the US. When that happens, the CMP "may" possibly receive some of those rifles. According to the recent articles, Korea did not plan on returning (transferring) any rifles to the US Army, but planned to “sell” these rifles to an importer. We do not have any standing to investigate the reports from Korea or any actions the US government may have taken as a result of those rumors.

I (speaking for myself) do not know for a fact if the sale is being blocked, and more importantly why it is being blocked (if true). It may simply be a question of current ownership.

Thanks for understanding that we do not have any first-hand knowledge and why CMP will not get involved in this in any way. This issue will get sorted out in good time.

Last edited:
The current director of the CMP said that there's no chance of the CMP getting them.

From what I've heard these are pretty beat up anyway.

Yes, I have read what Orest said about them. Legally, it is still a possibility. It would be nice to get the receivers back in the country, since nobody will be making more of those, even if the bores are trashed.

Yes, I have read what Orest said about them. Legally, it is still a possibility. It would be nice to get the receivers back in the country, since nobody will be making more of those, even if the bores are trashed.

Actually I don't think it is a possibility legally because the CMP is not an importer. (And if they were they'd be hitting the same roadblock that all of the other importers are hitting.)

Actually I don't think it is a possibility legally because the CMP is not an importer. (And if they were they'd be hitting the same roadblock that all of the other importers are hitting.)

The DOD can do whatever they want. They won't want to import the M1s, but they could, because the EO expressly allows them to. Hence why it is legally possible, just highly improbable.

The DOD can do whatever they want. They won't want to import the M1s, but they could, because the EO expressly allows them to. Hence why it is legally possible, just highly improbable.

I think the piece that you're missing is that these are not lend/lease guns like the rest of the guns that the CMP gets from the DOD. Korea actually owns these ones - the DOD doesn't and therefore can't just take them back. I guess in theory the DOD could buy them and then give them to the CMP, but in real life that's just not going to happen.

Anyway, this whole Korean Garand thing comes up every six months or so. Nothing ever changes. Hell, for all we know they could have been melted down already.

I think the piece that you're missing is that these are not lend/lease guns like the rest of the guns that the CMP gets from the DOD. Korea actually owns these ones - the DOD doesn't and therefore can't just take them back. I guess in theory the DOD could buy them and then give them to the CMP, but in real life that's just not going to happen.

Anyway, this whole Korean Garand thing comes up every six months or so. Nothing ever changes. Hell, for all we know they could have been melted down already.

Yup. Still possible. :D I sure hope they haven't melted them.

if the ones left are anything like the few M1 s that did come in through before the EO they where rough and 600$. Same for the Israeli M1 carbines. I'm doubt full anyone new president or Congress will do anything to make the EO vanish.
as much as I would like to see them the new billboards for inportmarks are awful.....so I would need to see some low prices....if they come in. We might see parts kits?

You'd think with a hostile neighbor to the north the Garands would have already been distributed to the people of S. Korea. But no.

I guess an armed population is too dangerous a thing for the S. Korean .gov.

You'd think with a hostile neighbor to the north the Garands would have already been distributed to the people of S. Korea. But no.

I guess an armed population is too dangerous a thing for the S. Korean .gov.

with the amount of K series weapons Daewoo and M16s by license they produce they could probably easily arm up the civilians. Even if so Im doubtful the the S. koreans could stop N. Korea if they decide to step over the boarder? K14.jpg

K14 sniper( reported as 1moa @ 300m accuracy.),,,,maybe plenty of these fine women up in some of them sky scrapers?

Maybe someone has a matching rack number.? garands.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom