• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2022 Cast Bullet Seminar Sign Up Thread

Paper patched some 535 grain Lyman’s last night. I wanted some fun stuff for a range trip today with someone who hasn’t shot a lot of the obscure stuff.
I loaded some this morning and then realized I had dozens of these bullets already sized and patched on the bench. Ah well.
After hearing them slam the 200 yard steel I think I need to load some more.

Nice ! With my '74 Sharps im struggling a bit getting consistency with my PP loads. My Tennessee mould's 540 gr Silhouette greaser bullet and 65 gr of swiss 1.5F is my go to load im at about 3 moa at 200 meters.

Nice ! With my '74 Sharps im struggling a bit getting consistency with my PP loads. My Tennessee mould's 540 gr Silhouette greaser bullet and 65 gr of swiss 1.5F is my go to load im at about 3 moa at 200 meters.
That sounds respectable.
Are you seating it right up against the rifling? Is the throat set up for paper patch or for greasers?

That sounds respectable.
Are you seating it right up against the rifling? Is the throat set up for paper patch or for greasers?

The Pedersoli barrels are throated for using the 535+ gr Creedmoore / Postell / Lyman type bullets. I can only get about 65g of powder compressed with a . 030 poly wad and i can seat just enough to stay off the rifling. Im not sure about throated for pp bullets ? You will have to educate me on how to determine this .

I haven’t dug too deep into it. From what I remember the chamber has a gentler leade to help the bullet align in the bore without damaging the patch. It almost sets up so that a smooth sided bullet works like a bore rider IIRC.
A lot of greasers have a bore ride section to help alignment. The leade could be really short and sharp and it doesn’t matter much.

It also depends on if you’re running black or smokeless due to sizing. You run black smaller to leave room for fouling. I bet Shiloh has info on their chamber options online.

Huge thanks not only do they look great but they also pass both tests. This was two separate batches with three different bullet types. I cooked two pounds for 12 mins and five pounds for 13 at 200 degree Celsius.

View attachment 675626
View attachment 675627
They look great. I can’t wait for my new mould to show up. Ordered Monday. UPS says I’ll have it tomorrow. Not bad considering it’s coming from Slovenia.

MP 4 cavity 460-420 hollow point arrived yesterday.

Ordered on Saturday. Made it from Europe to my door on Wednesday.

That mold is so beautiful.

I just thought, my ladle won't be able to hold 1680 grains of lead. I guess it will force me to slow down.

There is always next year and going several times really helps. You learn something new every time and the guys are great.
Mix of complete noobs and experienced people. So you won't feel out of place no matter your experience level.

I'm on the "I have no idea about any of this" spectrum and it helped me understand it much better than I would have watching videos.

MP 4 cavity 460-420 hollow point arrived yesterday.

Ordered on Saturday. Made it from Europe to my door on Wednesday.

That mold is so beautiful.

I just thought, my ladle won't be able to hold 1680 grains of lead. I guess it will force me to slow down.
Bottom pouring 400 grains isn't going to give goods results unless your pot is glowing red.

No need to fire those bullets just throwing them will knock someone out.

I need to join the new mold club…….
MP or NOE for quality molds, you won't regret them. For aluminum or brass.

For cast iron BACO has some very nice molds.

Accurate for custom molds.

I am a big fan of brass and iron, they take a little longer to get hot, but once hot they drop amazing bullets.

Aluminum drops great bullets from the second or third casting, but gets hot fast. But the bullets look beautiful and the mold is light.

Bottom pouring 400 grains isn't going to give goods results unless your pot is glowing red.

No need to fire those bullets just throwing them will knock someone out.
I will ladle cast. I am thinking fill first 2, dip the ladle in lead, fill the other 2.

Then go in the opposite direction.

I should have thought of thst before ordering a 4 cavity. But I think it will be a good thing, it will force me to slow down a bit.

Now to pour and coat more and potentially pick up a new mold for the 380.
looks like you have a mix of 105 and 125 grain - the 105's run fine in both my bodyguard and 380EZ.
I know I load them with both 231 and silhouette so I'd need to check to see the loads (but I don't push them like I do with 9mm)

@pastera great eye on the different bullets. I coated the 125’s and a few 200gr to test my process with the copper Hi-Tek you sent me home with before I hosed the 100 grain from the class which I don’t have the mold for yet. Both bullets passed both test. I can’t thank you enough because I was getting a really frustrated. I’m going to pimp out my pot with that awesome cover and pour some more HP 45 from the MP mold I picked up in the spring. More pictures will be coming.

@pastera great eye on the different bullets. I coated the 125’s and a few 200gr to test my process with the copper Hi-Tek you sent me home with before I hosed the 100 grain from the class which I don’t have the mold for yet. Both bullets passed both test. I can’t thank you enough because I was getting a really frustrated. I’m going to pimp out my pot with that awesome cover and pour some more HP 45 from the MP mold I picked up in the spring. More pictures will be coming.
I should have a new 93gn mold soon
Welcome to stop by and cast some up.
Slave labor also Welcome

Back
Top Bottom