2022 Cast Bullet Seminar Sign Up Thread

38ExtraSpecial

NES Member
It’s time for hot lead again!!

This is the perfect time to learn to cast bullets. Don’t rely on the local shop and don’t wait weeks and weeks for your bullet order to show. This is a great way to spend less on your bullets and more on your primers and powder. You won’t save money but you’ll shoot a lot more for the same amount.

Please please please ask if you are on the fence about this. There is a lot of misinformation out there that is perpetuated by poorly sized commercial bullets, poorly informed FUDDs/Tactical Timmies and poorly loaded commercial ammo.

If you’re a pistol shooter this will handle pretty much anything you load. If you’re a magnum rifle shooter you can load reduced and get trigger time at a fraction of the cost and recoil. If you’re shooting regular rifle loads you might be pretty impressed with what a gas checked Bullet can do.
Old rifles? Mil surps? Obsolete? There’s no better fit than a cast Bullet.
We have the same commercial coating available to us that the big casting companies use. We have more sizing options/gas checks/ bullet designs/hollow bases/hollow points/ than you're going to find at all the manufacturers added together. If you shoot there's a cast bullet for you.

Cost $35 Via PayPal friends and family. [email protected]
Please put your full name and your NES handle in the notes.
This $35 gets you damn close to 100 years of bullet casting experience, breakfast, lunch and all the bullets you can cast while you're at the event.

If you have a firearm that you want to bring to slug the bore to see what size bullet you need to use please bring it with you. NO LIVE AMMO

If you have an odd cartridge or you're set on making a specific bullet please ask ahead of time and we can try to get the mould you need. If you know you shoot a ton of 38 and want the best wadcutter for the job just let us know. If you're dying to get your granddad's 351 WSL up and running let us know.

This is also a discussion thread! Please ask questions. If you're on the fence but have heard horror stories about casting please ask all of your questions here. If you don't think it will work for your firearms or style of shooting please ask here. If you don't think they have the performance needed please ask here. If you're worried about cost of startup or savings over time please ask here. If you're worried about health hazards please ask here.
This is a very rewarding hobby that can drop the cost of your reloading significantly and allow you to be the guy that shows up at the range with 1000 rounds to blow through every week.
If you wanna argue about how cast bullets are useless and have zero performance or how lead will kill you by seeping through your pores into your brain please post here so we can laugh at you. ;)

Lots of info here from guys like @pastera @Artie @BFDX7 @ffej ruedorb That cut their teeth at the seminar and guys like @1919FAN and @mac1911 that have been casting since the mold tappers were made of dinosaur femurs. All who have been major contributors to the knowledge base on the forum.
You can see some info on just about all aspects of casting/loading in this thread. From ARs to shotguns and everything in between. Bullet Casting & Coating MegaThread

Date October 16th 2022

8:00 - 8:30 - Arrival and Set Up of Equipment for organizers
8:30 - 9:00 - Arrival and Registration for workshop participants. Donuts and Coffee
9:30 - Workshop begins
9:30 - 12:00 - First round of mini workshops - see below for explanation
12:00 - 1:00 - Lunch
1:00 - 3:30 - Second Round of mini workshops

Seminar Topics
Molten Lead Safety
Casting Terminology
Alloys, Hardness, and Uses
Smelting
Fluxing
Mold Preparation
Casting Techniques
Boolit to Gun Fit
Lubing & Sizing & Gas Checks - Tools & Techniques
Hi-Tek Coating
Further Study: Paper Patching, list of resources

We will discuss each section and move at the rate of the class answering the questions and as soon as any eyes start to glaze over we're off to the race casting and coating/sizing lubing/slugging

Last year we had a lot of people want to spend time on smelting and reclaiming lead. I will score some wheel weights to process so we can see how it’s done but if eyes start to glaze over we will get through it fast.

Yard Sale/Swap Meet: Feel free to bring any casting related supplies to buy/sell/trade. This is your one reminder that all local laws will be followed and there is a zero tolerance policy for violation of those laws. You will be told to leave if found in violation of the law.

I hope this goes without saying, but just in case... No alcohol of any kind during the seminar.

Host
pastea

Attendees
Artie PAID
JAY77 +2 PAID
ffej ruedorb PAID
named pipes PAID
yanquidog PAID
Broc PAID
ddeck22 PAID
Chaparral66 PAID
Steve - PAID
Cody - PAID
road_clam PAID
captq - PAID
section-9 PAID
1919FAN - PAID
Pettypace PAID
john380. PAID

Last edited:
45 anyone? TWO WORLD WARS!!

F3132340-0B51-48E5-964A-CDBC4D2B6BE3.jpeg

9MM coated? COMPS? Not a problem

253FFD3C-40A1-4E74-97F0-1DBE28C52EB0.jpeg

Paper patched 45/70? Buffalo? Not a problem

15FFF898-40D0-49F7-A801-9C8C0D383CE6.jpeg

300 Blackout? DI upper? Not a problem. Thousands of rounds without needing to clean it.

E2E43A71-7376-47BC-AA8D-A05E65F13FFD.jpeg

2 legged critters? Snub/4"/18" barrels. Not a problem!

E07CC6F6-300E-40A7-80BE-812D8F4D423B.jpeg

NB: Cast outside in Barbecue area which has power. And do seminar and sizing and coating inside.

That would be sweet. Do we have a bench to screw some stuff down to? Picnic tables outside right?

Just got around to buying a pot, dipper, and mold for bars. So now I'm obviously of the mind to start working on this skill.
Since I've mastered the art of reloading with my 150 rnds of 9mm. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Some people think you should wait to learn another skill. I don’t think it matters. You might get frustrated but if you enjoy learning then go for it.

Basic casting is not hard. It’s when you mess around with the specialty stuff and the high velocity that it gets more in depth.

That would be sweet. Do we have a bench to screw some stuff down to? Picnic tables outside right?

Some people think you should wait to learn another skill. I don’t think it matters. You might get frustrated but if you enjoy learning then go for it.

Basic casting is not hard. It’s when you mess around with the specialty stuff and the high velocity that it gets more in depth.
Picnic Tables outside. Inside we could setup something too.

I am going to make a effort to show up even if its just to deliver some donations myself. Then I might just sit and eat donuts and drink coffee while I watch everyone else!

Just finished of my bucket of indoor range scrap 53lbs of lead/jackets/debris gave me 33lbs 12oz of nice lead. 3B492640-83B6-41BE-947F-87C71E783096.jpeg
I am down to my last bucket of wheel weights. I have not been aggressively searching out more in some time. I take what little my shop generates and the rest are coming in from old traders. I found a new guy who will trade me my Zinc WW for his lead but thats small amounts as far as lead goes.2B02A012-5520-4C11-8721-E16E9E4CE8AD.jpeg

I am going to make a effort to show up even if its just to deliver some donations myself. Then I might just sit and eat donuts and drink coffee while I watch everyone else!

Just finished of my bucket of indoor range scrap 53lbs of lead/jackets/debris gave me 33lbs 12oz of nice lead. View attachment 610305
I am down to my last bucket of wheel weights. I have not been aggressively searching out more in some time. I take what little my shop generates and the rest are coming in from old traders. I found a new guy who will trade me my Zinc WW for his lead but thats small amounts as far as lead goes.View attachment 610308
You better be there!

So .... decided to try out the pot. 20lb Lee.
Took some smaller strips from my pile of salvaged lead sheet and had at it.
Got 3 sets out of that little Lee combo ingot mold.
No issues with the exception of the bits of plywood that were contact cemented to the lead not burning off and making a bit of a mess.

So .... decided to try out the pot. 20lb Lee.
Took some smaller strips from my pile of salvaged lead sheet and had at it.
Got 3 sets out of that little Lee combo ingot mold.
No issues with the exception of the bits of plywood that were contact cemented to the lead not burning off and making a bit of a mess.
Don’t smelt in your casting pot! You’ll make a mess a clog her up.

if anybody technologically blessed could make a recording - i would pay a $10 or so to have a copy.
as stuff like that is what you always do think of, but never have actual time to do or get into.
If you dont mind Iphone 3 recordings
Or I can up the quality and shoot it with my 1st gen Cannon One Shot

go ahead but make sure to pre-order the burial plot for yourself before that.
This is a good time to note; be sure you have a little info on buying cast cook ware: it “can “ be “worth” something

Although these days its not often you come by anything worth anything that is not already tagged at a higher price.

Back
Top Bottom