• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2021 NH SB141

The only way the Dems would even slightly consider this is if it would contain UBC's, super-restrictive licensing, insurance, and taxing schemes. To the point where only the uber-rich could afford it. With a carve-out for politicians, of course. And then we know the Reps would never go for it.

I think you missed the point of what I was talking about- which has absolutely nothing to deal with the federal government, or the US house or Senate, but rather the state governments of states that already have shall issue carry licenses or similar; an opt in program. Not rocket science. Does not require fags in US house or Senate to even be involved, AT ALL.

Can you point to US code that shows that states are POC solely at the discression of the feds?
State POCs exist as provided for in the CFRs which can be changed without congress. Just like ATF is now attempting to change the definition of a frame or receiver.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/28/25.2

POC (Point of Contact) means a state or local law enforcement agency serving as an intermediary between an FFL and the federal databases checked by the NICS. A POC will receive NICS background check requests from FFLs, check state or local record systems, perform NICS inquiries, determine whether matching records provide information demonstrating that an individual is disqualified from possessing a firearm under Federal or state law, and respond to FFLs with the results of a NICS background check. A POC will be an agency with express or implied authority to perform POC duties pursuant to state statute, regulation, or executive order.

and:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/28/25.6

(d) Access to the NICS through POCs. In states where a POC is designated to process background checks for the NICS, FFLs will contact the POC to initiate a NICS background check. Both ATF and the POC will notify FFLs in the POC's state of the means by which FFLs can contact the POC. The NICS will provide POCs with electronic access to the system virtually 24 hours each day through the NCIC communication network. Upon receiving a request for a background check from an FFL, a POC will:

(1) Verify the eligibility of the FFL either by verification of the FFL number or an alternative POC-verification system;

(2) Enter a purpose code indicating that the query of the system is for the purpose of performing a NICS background check in connection with the transfer of a firearm; and (3) Transmit the request for a background check via the NCIC interface to the NICS.

and with emphasis:

(e) Upon receiving a request for a NICS background check, POCs may also conduct a search of available files in state and local law enforcement and other relevant record systems, and may provide a unique State-Assigned Transaction Number (STN) to a valid inquiry for a background check.

Meaning a state can do a more extensive check which is exactly what the NH State police were doing and what Rep. Gathright (an anti gun democrat) wrote about in the house calendar when she advocated killing SB 141:

http://gencourt.state.nh.us/house/caljourns/calendars/2021/HC_26.pdf

SB 141-FN, relative to the procedure for conducting firearm background checks. MAJORITY: INEXPEDIENT TO LEGISLATE. MINORITY: OUGHT TO PASS.
Rep. Linda Harriott-Gathright for the Majority of Criminal Justice and Public Safety. This bill seeks to allow the FBI to conduct all National Instant Criminal Background Check System (“NICS”) searches concerning the purchase, sale, and transfer of firearms through Federal Firearm Licensed Dealers operating in the State of New Hampshire. This bill effectively repeals the state’s partial point of contact system for handguns, called the “gun line” allowing the authority to remain exclusively with the FBI. It also authorizes county sheriffs to conduct NICS background searches for the purpose of approving or denying the return of firearms to individuals who are subject to a protective order for domestic violence or stalking. We heard testimony from gun line users of past delays to access the system, however the calling system has been updated and appears to be working. More importantly we heard testimony from a lawyer, several dealers, and users of the valuable usage of the gun line. The gun line was able to resolve false issues in the NICS system. Specifically, the gun line gave clear directions, in the form of a letter, on how to resolve the issues, however, when issues occur while using NICS, they are non-specific about how to resolve the issues, resulting in additional costs to the buyer and additional delays. The New Hampshire gun line is an additional check beyond the NICS System, and we prefer to continue the extra measure of security check that the gun line provides. Vote 15-6.

Look at the sponsor list of SB 141 as well as the roll call votes and then try to convince us all here that it is anti gun.

You just can't let his go.... you are living in a world of dreams if you think that the state of NH can approve a sale that NICS denies. NICS is the final arbiter. And again, let me repeat, this is a 20 year old system that has never worked efficiently. If it is as good as you say it is how come no one ever pushed to have NH do the checks on rifle and shotgun sales? I'll answer my own question: The system is flawed and had they tried that there would have been a huge outcry of objectors.

You just can't let his go.... you are living in a world of dreams if you think that the state of NH can approve a sale that NICS denies. NICS is the final arbiter. And again, let me repeat, this is a 20 year old system that has never worked efficiently. If it is as good as you say it is how come no one ever pushed to have NH do the checks on rifle and shotgun sales? I'll answer my own question: The system is flawed and had they tried that there would have been a huge outcry of objectors.
The state POC actually runs queries on the 3 databases, and also on local databases, they don't just get a red/green light from NICS without any data around it.

Read the study I linked to above, where the specifically discuss the situations in which a state POC does approve sales which NICS would have denied -- the most obvious instance being in cases where NICS is missing final determinations.

We can't say for sure what the outcomes have been for our POC because there is very little public data for New Hampshire, but other state POCs absolutely do allow sales which a straight-up FFL-initiated query to NICS E-Check would've denied.

Thats all very nice but there are 21 POC states.....both Dem and Rep.......dont bet on the federal bureaucracy doing anything to kick over THAT cart and pissing off Dem AND Rep governors/legislatures alike by trying to make POC process "Go Away"

At the same time.....the Dem POC and non POC states would be PERFECTLY happy with massive delays from NICS.

The point being....why make it easier for your opponent by surrendering a tool they can use to beat your constituents over the head with

As I recall, Brady act provides for release of firearm if no proceed provided within 3 days

How many FFL's are going to do that? Not many

On the other hand....if the POC state cannot get access/response to inquiries about records for a NICS check and 3 days go by.....they can be instructed/required by the governor/legislature to provide proceed to the FFL in question

This is why 141 was/is/remains a dumb bill
wrong, there are 13 full point of contact states and 4 partial point of contact states. there are 3 states whose state permit exempts hand gun buyers from a NICS check and the dealer calls FBI for rifles or shotguns. See this map:

NICS Participation Map | Federal Bureau of Investigation

and they will most certainly be instructed by a democrat governor (we had 2 over 12 years before sununu) to wait for a reply from NICS. Meaning if Biden shuts down, NH is shut down. And to your point, it was the opposite for decades in NH. FBI was lighting fast and NH gun line was slow.

I thought that NH Gunline was supposed to be improved! I just filled out the 4473 at Runnings in Hinsdale for a revolver and was told that they have to FAX the info to Concord and will have an answer in 24 to 36 hrs. What kind of Bullshit is that. Plus ATF now requires ID with middle name spelled out.

I thought that NH Gunline was supposed to be improved! I just filled out the 4473 at Runnings in Hinsdale for a revolver and was told that they have to FAX the info to Concord and will have an answer in 24 to 36 hrs. What kind of Bullshit is that. Plus ATF now requires ID with middle name spelled out.
Pure BS, they didn’t just call the gun line? A week ago shops would just call them and do it on the phone….

Well you see, the GL improved when there was a threat that it would be eliminated. That threat has now passed.

The gun line's hold music tells folks to fax it in. Listened to it at Abe's for awhile a couple months back.

Well maybe they need to dial harder or something because the folks at the shop i was at got humans to do them live….

You can thank the organizations in Sununu's veto message of SB141 for your baked in waiting period.

veto for HB334.JPG

Well maybe they need to dial harder or something because the folks at the shop i was at got humans to do them live….

Oh they picked up after a good 15+ minutes on hold.

The NHGL has a ridiculous bottleneck and lord know how they are staffed, but from a purchaser's POV it isn't adequate for a normal day of buying pistols.

That is one of the biggest reasons I was pushing for the abolition of the GL. Runnings in Claremont, as well as Black Op Arms, and Bass Pro in Hooksett, continue to use fax for their handgun BG checks. That's why it used to to take 2-3 days (and 2-3 hours, when the pressure was on) to get a "Proceed".

With the Feds, it's phone or online.

Beats the fed line for a rifle xfer - oh, we got instant response... and they called back an hour later.

That was mid-week, no shows, nothing. Folks, anecdote is great.

The state line has issues - real issues they cure when under the spotlight, then let come back when not. No argument. But when the Dems have a federal bill to turn the OTHER option into a defacto 7-day waiting period, and we can never get the state line back once given up, it makes sense to hold action for a while.

Beats the fed line for a rifle xfer - oh, we got instant response... and they called back an hour later.

That was mid-week, no shows, nothing. Folks, anecdote is great.

The state line has issues - real issues they cure when under the spotlight, then let come back when not. No argument. But when the Dems have a federal bill to turn the OTHER option into a defacto 7-day waiting period, and we can never get the state line back once given up, it makes sense to hold action for a while.
What part do you people not get? If the Feds create a 7 day waiting period, the NH GL will be subject to the exact same delay! [banghead]

What part do you people not get? If the Feds create a 7 day waiting period, the NH GL will be subject to the exact same delay! [banghead]
That is literally not how it works. What part do you not get? The database does not issue the delay.

Yeah... DE FACTO waiting period. The kind where the FED gun line a) has the automatic proceed removed; and b) has an exec order to delay responses. That's out there. Right now. None of that would affect state-agency searches of the database.

That is literally not how it works. What part do you not get? The database does not issue the delay.
Of course the database does not issue the delay. But if the Feds require a waiting period, then having the NH GL will not allow it any sooner, either. It is not is own way around the Federal system.

If the feds create a waiting period we start shooting feds. What do you not get?
I'll be sure to send you a postcard after that. If you're lucky, you'll only end up in Berlin, so you are close to home. [smile]

Yeah... DE FACTO waiting period. The kind where the FED gun line a) has the automatic proceed removed; and b) has an exec order to delay responses. That's out there. Right now. None of that would affect state-agency searches of the database.
Listen, I respect you opinion, more than most on NES. But the idea that the Fed pushes through a waiting period for all Fed checks but they leave the POCs that do it faster alone, does not pass the stink test. POCs are created by an administrative action, basically a letter from the ATF (or maybe the FBI), and can be undone just as easily. The GL does not provide any protection and runs the same check the Feds do. Any perceived control it provides is a delusion. Stop wasting time and money on the GL and focus the fight on the Fed.

Isn't the default proceed on a Fed check in the law? That would mean it can't be changed by EO.

Listen, I respect you opinion, more than most on NES. But the idea that the Fed pushes through a waiting period for all Fed checks but they leave the POCs that do it faster alone, does not pass the stink test. POCs are created by an administrative action, basically a letter from the ATF (or maybe the FBI), and can be undone just as easily. The GL does not provide any protection and runs the same check the Feds do. Any perceived control it provides is a delusion. Stop wasting time and money on the GL and focus the fight on the Fed.

Isn't the default proceed on a Fed check in the law? That would mean it can't be changed by EO.
No, you are not getting it. There was an actual bill in the 2021 session to remove the automatic proceed, period.

All that is required after that is an EO that effectively slows the roll.

No, you are not getting it. There was an actual bill in the 2021 session to remove the automatic proceed, period.

All that is required after that is an EO that effectively slows the roll.
Well let's focus on that bill, what's the number?

What

Sure.

And while you "focus on that bill" (H.R.1446 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): Enhanced Background Checks Act of 2021), which passed the House but was stopped in the Senate, while this whole argument was going on, I will continue to assert that having the state line "out" is better than not having it, while that kind crap continues to be out there.
These bills change nothing as far as the GL goes. The GL doesn't have any default proceed now, and it will never have fewer requirements than the Fed. It's a waste of time and money. Do you really think if the Feds get a 10 day wait for an answer the state is going to do a 3 day default proceed? Come on man.

Plus ATF now requires ID with middle name spelled out.
Source please? The May 2020 Form 4473 which is the one currently in use has no such requirement in Section C - Question 26.a. of the instructions:

Question 26.a. Identification: Before a licensee may sell or deliver a firearm to a the person, the licensee must establish the identity, place of residence, and age of the transferee/buyer. The transferee/buyer must provide a valid government-issued photo identification document to the transferor/seller that contains the transferee’s/ buyer’s name, residence address, and date of birth. A driver’s license or an identification card issued by a State is acceptable. Social Security cards are not acceptable because no address, date of birth, or photograph is shown on the cards. Identification documents such as a driver’s license or identification card issued with binary, non-binary, or no sex designation may be used as an identification document. A combination of government-issued documents may be provided. See instructions for question 26.b. Supplemental Documentation.

If the transferee/buyer is a member of the Armed Forces on active duty acquiring a firearm in the State where his/her permanent duty station is located, but he/she has a driver’s license from another State, the transferor/seller must list the transferee’s military identification card in response to question 26.a., in addition to PCS orders as indicated in 26.c

Or is it just more dealer ignorance or making up their own rules to prevent a sale to someone they're nervous about?

These bills change nothing as far as the GL goes. The GL doesn't have any default proceed now, and it will never have fewer requirements than the Fed. It's a waste of time and money. Do you really think if the Feds get a 10 day wait for an answer the state is going to do a 3 day default proceed? Come on man.
What? Seriously. Read the bill you so asked me to provide.

Back
Top Bottom