• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2018 fishing tread

I’m down the Cape (Falmouth), looking for an area to go fishing with my daughter. Preferably easy access, no crowds, saltwater. Any suggestions? Thanks.

You could try old silver beach in the evening, during the day it’s pretty crowded but at evening it clears out. You could try the rocks around Nobska point, but that spot requires balance and some heavy gear. It can get hairy at times and is somewhat dangerous. You could try around the mouth of trunk river, but beware of the private beaches to the left. My final recommendation is the stone pier in woods hole. Directions to the stone pier are Take Route 28 south toward Falmouth and follow the signs to Woods Hole. Proceed through the village, over the drawbridge, and park in any available space along Water Street. At night, striped bass are drawn to feed around the shadow lines of the parking lot lights, and bigger bass can be tempted out of deepwater lairs with a live eel. You might want to bring a rod with 12-14 lb fluorocarbon and something like a hogy lures epoxy minnow or a deadly dick Incase of false albacore during the day. Bass are best at night and evening but can be caught in day

Nice work. Any fish is good fish. (Except pickerel. Those things look. . . and act. . . prehistoric. I avoided them all season this year successfully.).

Next week it'll be cooler. I suspect the lakes will give up some decent energy over the next few weeks of 60-degree nights. At some point, I'm going to learn how to late-summer/early-fall fish the lake. Once the lillies die, I'm totally lost. Too much lake to be searching in my crappy little boat. LOL
I can’t wait until the vegetation starts dying off. It opens up options significantly. Start with something fast to cover some water and find the fish. Also, very subtle indicators of cover become really major things. A slight variation in the shape of the bank or a tree that barely hangs over the water can be the thing that draws bass in

Plus, frog fishing is infuriating.

I fished almost all day yesterday. I caught a nice 2.3lb bass within 10 minutes of getting there and then nothing for the next 7 hours. Easily missed 15 frog blow ups and a couple of hits on subsurface baits that just didn’t stick for some reason. If I had converted on even 1/3 of strikes it would have been a great day.

Thanks. Good advice. Sadly, the Lillies are not that thick. Like sporadic, at best, throughout 1/3 of the lake. If they were thick in areas (that aren't in 6" of water, that is), it would be PRIME Larry territory.

I'm grabbing the electronics when down this weekend. I've realized the "problem" with the lake is the immense # of herring in it. It just messes with the bass habits. Was reading an article in BASS mag earlier this year about southern herring lakes and how you have to change your focus to finding the bait almost exclusively. So I figure I'm gonna troll around and see what I can see. I also have a few spots where I wanna see if it's grassy on the bottom or just barren wasteland. Might just blow a few gallons of gas and drive around. Teh day I get my pontoon, I'm getting one of those charting-as-you-go fish finders.

I've been there with multi-hours with nada. I'm not much into it now. I'm good for 2 hours even if I'm doing well. Maybe I just need a 10 min break. But because the weather can change so fast (14' boat in a huge body of water with a 10mph wind isn't fun), I rarely consider a break at all.

Thanks. Good advice. Sadly, the Lillies are not that thick. Like sporadic, at best, throughout 1/3 of the lake. If they were thick in areas (that aren't in 6" of water, that is), it would be PRIME Larry territory.

I'm grabbing the electronics when down this weekend. I've realized the "problem" with the lake is the immense # of herring in it. It just messes with the bass habits. Was reading an article in BASS mag earlier this year about southern herring lakes and how you have to change your focus to finding the bait almost exclusively. So I figure I'm gonna troll around and see what I can see. I also have a few spots where I wanna see if it's grassy on the bottom or just barren wasteland. Might just blow a few gallons of gas and drive around. Teh day I get my pontoon, I'm getting one of those charting-as-you-go fish finders.

I've been there with multi-hours with nada. I'm not much into it now. I'm good for 2 hours even if I'm doing well. Maybe I just need a 10 min break. But because the weather can change so fast (14' boat in a huge body of water with a 10mph wind isn't fun), I rarely consider a break at all.

Been doing ok on the lake. Pretty much gotta mix it up see what they want that day. Heat has not helped. I was up on a fly in Flin Flon Manatoba a month ago for northern pike and walleye. Pretty wild. Unexpected guest for our last fish fry.
IMG_3436.JPG IMG_3440.JPG IMG_3441.JPG DSCF1020.JPG IMG_3329.JPG IMG_3388.JPG

Pike teeth get me all hot and bothered. I wish I lived somewhere that had just a bit more access to colder water species like pike, trout, and smallmouth.

No I didn't Cath it......but fresh wild caught samlon.....brined in kosher salt and brown sugar for 12 hours.....will smoke for 4 hours at 170 degrees with apple wood. Maple syrup glaze will go on for the last 2 hours.

Attachments

• IMG_20180902_160347436_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180902_160347436_HDR.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 20
I had my alarm set for 7am yesterday. Was gonna get up, make breakfast and me and the Missus were going to head to the lake to catch some Larry's. I found where they were staging last week and caught a mess of them. Hoping to get back a couple more times before I pull the boat.

Alarm went off at 7. Window was open. 46 degrees out. 58 in. Wife went to shower. She came back. Crawled back into bed. Slept until 9.

Oh well. At least I caught a bunch last week. LOL. Maybe it'll be still on Friday afternoon and/or maybe we'll get to the lake next weekend. I hope so on both counts. Because the boat's gotta come out soon. :(

I was planning to knock off at noon tomorrow to squeeze in a few hours. Now it's supposed to rain. :( Weather is very unpredictable in the Fall. Hoping I can get some time on Sat afternoon and Sunday early before we pull the boat for the season.

Last day was Saturday. Got out on the lake. Headed to my "spot. Nailed 2 smallish Larry's and a nasty angry pick. Then realized why the boat was "sluggish" in the weeds. Trolling motor battery was weak. I'm not sure if it's the battery or the charger. I wonder if it's the charger. Gonna swap them over the winter and see.

Without a trolling motor, I just headed in. Had a nice hour fishing. pulled the boat and roller-ramp Sunday morning. Next year.

Finally got out fishing after a long while. I put on a 4" white Kieteck swim bait with an underspin. After a few hit and misses I got a good one 50 feet from where I put the kayak in, a nice 5.2 lb 22 1/2' large mouth. I was so pumped trying to weigh and measure it and wanting to get back in the water I didn't get any good pictures. I caught 3 more 1/2-2 lb and a pickerel. Good day

Lets see...cold-check, windy and rough-check, no wheeling birds,spraying bait or busting fish from Stage Harbor to Bass River-check. Hung a lobster pot on the engine 3 miles off Dennis,and by the time I got it off the boat was stern to and half full of water, ruining my last pair of clean undies-check, Monomoy Point, ugly as only that place can be-check, back at the ramp some a$$hole has his giant POS tied up in the middle of the courtesy float so none else can tie up, and is nowhere to be found- check .First trip of 2018 that resulted in no fish of any sort hitting the deck-check.

Although I've no doubt there is still some good fishing left around here, I'm pretty sure the fat lady has sung for 2018 for me. Time to call the shrinkwrap guy and go look for Bambi.

fat lady.jpg

I feel'ya. Wish I could get out one or two more times. I'm not a big fan of canoe/kayak fishing.

BUT. . . . I've been watching a few 603Bass videos on YewToob lately. He did a video last March at a lake up in NH. 40 degree water. They pulled out a considerable # of bass. "What we are keying in on is this big rock pile. In cold water warm-up, find the rock piles. Especially rock piles on the north side of a lake."

WTF,O??? That describes the water right out in front of my cabin! Guess I'll be dropping the canoe in early next season. LOL

Typical... Drag out gear, dig hole, bait trap, set trap, repeat until no more traps. Wait for no flags and get cold. Drink from a flask, repeat.

Reverse, pack it all up and go home with maybe a fish or two.

Got out yesterday. My friend got 5 small perch. I had a couple hits but didn’t pull anything up. Guy next to us scored a nice 16” rainbow on a shiner.

Typical... Drag out gear, dig hole, bait trap, set trap, repeat until no more traps. Wait for no flags and get cold. Drink from a flask, repeat.

Reverse, pack it all up and go home with maybe a fish or two.
I have a day like that every now and then.....but last year I found some honey holes. Flag after flag after flag......couple trips at one point we stopped putting tip ups back in because we we're too tired to keep up with the action. Lots of big pickerel

didn’t get as much snow as expected so I’m heading back out to use up bait from yesterday. Hoping it’s busy out there.
I just bought shiners for tomorrow.....Donny up at Merrimac bait And tackle is almost sold out

Great for him, I’ve known him for a long time. Good guy, hope he keeps getting a lot of business.
He's been the only place for me to get live bait for 20 plus years. Great guy

He's donating the bait for the country pond fish and game club ice fishing derby on Feb 3rd.

Back
Top Bottom