• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mountain Creek fishing

peterk123

NES Member
No pics unfortunately today because I was traveling light. We drove in about six miles on a forestry road to a mountain creek not too far from home. Figured it would be a good way to get away from the 95 degree temps and the shitshow that was definitely going to happen on the Yellowstone, being it's a Sunday.

Well, we were blessed with 76 degree temps up there and some great fishing. We are talking bushwacking up the creek, dealing with deadfall, middle of grizzlie territory, and mostly tiny pockets of water to fish. No casting, just dabbing and lobbing flies to cutthroats ranging from 3 to 8 inches. But, if you stumble on a knee deep pool or a longer run you will be rewarded with one closing in on twelve inches. Small gear, 3wt fiberglass rods. Had to have had a hundred hookups between me and my daughter. Probably a third of them landed. And the best thing? I knew everybody fishing that Creek today. And all the fish were native. No contamination by rainbows, browns or brookies. 100% pure gorgeous cutthroats. And boy, do they love dry flies!

Back
Top Bottom