• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2018 fishing tread

Anyone want to catch a record carp? My buddy spent a week and caught the tournament winner last year, it's not hard. No tournament, just big friggin carp. They need to be fished out.

North shore, PM me for how and where.

Went out for the first time yesterday. Mill river through Williamsburg, Leeds, and Florence. Also hit cranberry pond in Sunderland. All were stocked with rainbows within the last week.

Caught nothing.

On a related note, got my license checked by an epo at cranberry. Literally the first I’ve ever seen while outside a cumbys or Dunkin. Thankfully I got a license this year!

This time of the year the fish like shinners in the pond behind my house. It's very shallow and weedy, by June it's almost unfishable a little later I use top water in the small pools. I caught this pickerel 3 times in the last week. IMG_3566.JPG

Last edited:
Anyone try for any schoolies yet? Hearing about some small fish with lice around as well as some holdover action. Thinking of trying something Saturday just not sure where yet. Probably the south coast/ Westport area.

Ya I am a member on a local fishing forum and the migratory fish are definitely here. Not keeper size yet obviously but it looks to have been a very productive weekend for a lot of people. Wasn’t able to get out today but will definitely get out this week and definitely next weekend. I have the itch like a crackhead looking for a fix.

Hearing reports of keepers in the canal and elsewhere... I am getting up early and going for a few hours in the morning and I don’t care if it means I am signing divorce papers instead of a card. I have my eye on a spot in Mattapoisett. No one else out yet?

Haven’t fished for stripers (rockfish) since moving here from TN. Used to get a few in tail waters below dams, along with white bass and some hybrids. Yes, there are some nice ones in fresh water.

Anyway, I’m gearing up for the canal and other hot spots. Already set for rod and reel but other than my old jigs I don’t have any lures. Any suggestions for essentials? Thx

I've caught lots of big pickerels over the last month, one was 24". Not so many bass but a few good ones. I have a friend who lives in TN. on Watts Bar. I visit him once or twice year and we've caught some "rock fish" at the dams, pretty good ones, better than I thought I'd find in fresh water. Ive heard the schoolies are in the harbors now . Hopefully I find a few this week.

Never caught a pickerel before, and I’d like to get one. Any tips?

I got this native brook trout earlier today - first I’ve ever been able to find! There were probably a dozen or more spread over 4-5 pools along the brook I was fishing. Got a lot of hits but most were a little too small to get the hook.

Attachments

• AF14C870-446F-4249-8C63-1A3F3661FB74.jpeg
    AF14C870-446F-4249-8C63-1A3F3661FB74.jpeg
    198.8 KB · Views: 59
If you fish for large or smallmouth bass you are likely to catch pickerel if they are there.

Catching native brookies is very impressive.

I’ve fished for largemouth my whole life and started fishing smallies last year. No luck for pickerel though. I usually use rapala hard baits or Texas rig worms of various colors. There are a few places the bass like slug-go style baits and top water stuff but I’ve not been able to entice any pickerel yet.

I’ll keep trying!

Last edited:
In TN we had a spring fed river by the house- good smallie territory. Used to do quite well with Rebel crawfish lures- small ones on an ultralight.

Back
Top Bottom