• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2014 Hunting Megathread

Sept 15th can't get here soon enough. Plan on trying for a bear this year, wanted to last year but never had the time for scouting before the season. Also going to get my daughter a hunting rifle this year so i can get her out on youth weekend.

As a late addendum to this thread, I made "Oven Braised Venison Ragout" or as we call it in Maine "Deer Meat Rag-out". It took the better part of 2 hours, but holy **** was it good!
Image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

As a late addendum to this thread, I made "Oven Braised Venison Ragout" or as we call it in Maine "Deer Meat Rag-out". It took the better part of 2 hours, but holy **** was it good!
Image.jpg

+2 I am always looking for good new recipes.

Congrats to everyone who filled tags, especially all the posts about people shooting their first deer, that's always a special one. And now the long wait begins. [crying]

+2 I am always looking for good new recipes.

Congrats to everyone who filled tags, especially all the posts about people shooting their first deer, that's always a special one. And now the long wait begins. [crying]
Its ice fishing season now though........will be cooking up all that venison sausage and pots of venison chili out on the ice!!!!!!

View attachment 124509

- - - Updated - - -
Are you going to share the recipe or just show us a tasty looking picture?

O.K., my friend from, of all places, Brooklyn, NY sent me this from one of her cookbooks. Beware, it takes about 2-3 hours of prep and cook time, but it was worth it!
Image 3.jpg

If this file is too small to read, let me know via PM and I can maybe email it to you.

O.K., my friend from, of all places, Brooklyn, NY sent me this from one of her cookbooks. Beware, it takes about 2-3 hours of prep and cook time, but it was worth it!
View attachment 124714

If this file is too small to read, let me know via PM and I can maybe email it to you.

Pat,

Thanks for posting that. I did not see it for some reason until today.

Tomorrow I am going to try the recipe listed below (stew) and tonight I am going to try some hamburgers. For the burger I did mix in ground pork and ran it through the grinder twice just to make sure it was mixed well. I used two pounds of the pork but to be honest I did not weigh how much venison went with it. I may be looking at 60-40 or 65-35 mix of venison to pork. I had one of those 8"x12" pans full of venison. Hopefully I did not use to much pork but I will see.

http://www.familyfreshmeals.com/2013/10/best-crockpot-beef-stew.html

Well the burgers were not as good as I had hoped for but the stew was fantastic.

Next year if I get a deer I will mix 80% hamburger in instead of pork.

Deer meat makes for terrible hamburgers in my opinion, no matter how they are cut with other meats. I use it up in meat loafs, spaghetti sauces, chills, etc..

Deer meat makes for terrible hamburgers in my opinion, no matter how they are cut with other meats. I use it up in meat loafs, spaghetti sauces, chills, etc..

Well I had some at my sisters last year and they were great. I gave her a call after mine turned out as they did and she was using a higher fat hamburger to mix in.

The rest of my burger will be going in items like you mentioned.

Well the burgers were not as good as I had hoped for but the stew was fantastic.

Next year if I get a deer I will mix 80% hamburger in instead of pork.

Instead of mixing in hamburger you can just mix in some beef fat. It is a cheaper way to accomplish what you want. That's what I have my butcher do.

Another option is bacon.

I tend to do meat loafs with my burger as well. My wife really loves the venison meatloaf.

Happy wife happy life.[smile]

Bob

My fav recipe for venison chili. I sub ground for chunked Venison. I also don't add the sausage. but other than that I copy it pretty much down the line. It's delicious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWhELqrvD4k

For my venison chili in use ground venison and also diced venison steak.....like stew sized chunks.....brown the meat and add everything else per the usual Chile recipe. In fact I'll have a pot cooking Friday night to take on the ice Saturday! First hardwater fishing trip this weekend woobhoo

Well now that deer season is over I spent a little time yesterday processing some of it. This is 6lbs of snacking sticks in 2 different favors and 5lbs of summer sausage. It will be ready for the game tonight :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 48
Well now that deer season is over I spent a little time yesterday processing some of it. This is 6lbs of snacking sticks in 2 different favors and 5lbs of summer sausage. It will be ready for the game tonight :)

Nice! I cooked a fat venison steak on a cast iron skillet while ice fishing yesterday with my son! Boy was it good.......even better when you are cold and hungry!

Well ive been off the site for a while, everything take a back burner for me during hunting season. First time in 10 years that ive been hunting i filled all my tags. Bagged a doe with my bow second day of the season then a spike the last week of archary. Pulled out the muzzy this year after not pulling her out for two seasons. Didnt get a shotgun deer this year so i pulled her out for one day and bag a 150lb nine pointer! My biggest buck yet. Shot him at 10 feet! Had to yell at it to stop him from running me over then blasted him straight on and dropped him in his tracks. Boy oh boy what a season this year. My freezers are full.

Thanks, i had tapatalk but my son erassed it. Ill have to get it back tonight. Sometimes i think my two year old knows more about my phone than me

3896831ccc9307aa054e223d7055b0b4.jpg
68b4abac85860ee73630008ed0699463.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom