• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2014 Hunting Megathread

Got one today! My first deer ever. Actually the first deer I've ever seen while hunting them. It was a 5 pointer but dressed out it had to be about 150#. The shot wasn't the greatest, he was about 35 to 40 yards away on a steep downward angle so the shot went high and I spine shot him. Managed a quick reload and put him down. 1" higher and I would have missed, couple inches lower and I would have just wounded him and probably wouldn't have found him in the thick swampy area he was in. I now appreciate the saying that after the shot the real work begins. I'm sure I'll have a hard time walking tomorrow.

Awesome!

Got one today! My first deer ever. Actually the first deer I've ever seen while hunting them. It was a 5 pointer but dressed out it had to be about 150#. The shot wasn't the greatest, he was about 35 to 40 yards away on a steep downward angle so the shot went high and I spine shot him. Managed a quick reload and put him down. 1" higher and I would have missed, couple inches lower and I would have just wounded him and probably wouldn't have found him in the thick swampy area he was in. I now appreciate the saying that after the shot the real work begins. I'm sure I'll have a hard time walking tomorrow.

Congratulations. Very nice.

Bob

Sounds like a nice buck man. I didn't make it out Saturday. The woods I hunt in just became too crowded, it was warm, or whatever other excuse I can muster up. Funny how the woods I hunt were empty last year but packed this year. Going to have to find a few more spots for next season. Hopefully on some private land.

Congratulations ace7644! Indeed the fun really starts after the shot! [smile]

BTW: I spent Saturday dark-to-dark in a tree...saw 1 red and 2 gray squirrels... [grin] Oh well...again it was a nice day to be in the woods!

Nothing this morning. Pulled a card that had been out for a month and got nothing but coons, foxes, rabbits and some type of bird.

Trying to decide if I will give if one more go tomorrow morning but right now my back is absolutely killing me.

Congratulations ace7644! Indeed the fun really starts after the shot! [smile]

BTW: I spent Saturday dark-to-dark in a tree...saw 1 red and 2 gray squirrels... [grin] Oh well...again it was a nice day to be in the woods!

It's pretty funny because I thought it was going to be such a crappy day because on the warm weather that I almost didn't go. Got to my spot sweating around noon and when I say my spot I mean a big rock that I sat up against. The whole time I was there I kept thinking that I wish I brought a book to read then 3:30 the deer shows up. So all in all a great day, minus the fact that the day after I found a tick in my back and I'm still too sore to bend over and put my shoes on.

Well I had planned on one last sit tomorrow morning and just looked at the weather conditions. As much as I enjoy hunting I just cannot sit out there at this point in single digit temps. So my season for deer is now over.

Had a fun season with some ups and downs and hope to improve things for next year.

Last day out for me....wiffed on a doe. Oh well. Got one in the freezer so life ain't that bad and saw a ton of deer this season in comparison to how little I got out. Good luck to all on the last day and congrats to everyone this year, especially the first timers learning what a great experience it is!

Struck out today. Bumped 2 but didn't get a shot with the bow. Next year I need a muzzle loader. I could have gotten a shot at 2 deer this year if I had one but they were out of reach for the bow.
Oh well. Got a deer in the freezer so life is good. Would like to find some private land next year. I'll start knocking on doors in the spring.

Nice shot JGreen. Freezing my arse of this afternoon. Overslept this am. Missed my damn alarm. My season ends Friday in RI...unless I get extremely lucky here's to next year. Cheers and Happy New Year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gray Squirrel Zones 1–9 Sept. 8 – Jan. 2, 2015

Why can I hunt rabbits until 2/28/15 but I cant hunt squirrels after New Years?
That and no Sunday hunting....So much BS

Managed to have a good year. 3 bucks (although one was a button buck so that was a doe tag) the largest of which was a six-pointer. Went out this morning for about two hours hoping to use another doe tag, heard movement but never saw anything. All in all - very happy with this season!

Nice job on all the last minute deer! For those of you that bring these guys to a butcher, do you need to tip them on top of what they charge or is everything included in the price they quote? If you tip, how much?

Congrats to everyone that filled tags this season! Good to see they're still being taken by solo hunters all the way to the end of primitive season. This is my 2nd year never having fired a shot at a deer. No biggy. I learn something new every year.

I shot a Merganser at last light yesterday and I think I'll save it for coyote bait. Never been coyote hunting before. Think I'll try it out after duck season ends.

Back
Top Bottom