2014 Hunting Megathread

How many deer are you guys allowed down there?

You get two buck tags with your license. Doe tags are by lottery and it is dependant on which Managment zone you are in. In the eastern part of the state there are surplus doe tags and they sell the " over the counter". In the western part of the state the the deer herd is so depleted that the chance of getting a doe permit is less than 10% in some zones.

Bob

I have one more day with friends on Friday. I missed a buck last week on my first muzzle loader hunt. Swore I had everything lined up when I squeezed the trigger and he just ran away........no sign of a hit at all. SO.....I was thinking the sights got knocked off or something (I spent a good deal of time at the range with it pre season and swore it was dead on). Took it to the range yesterday to test it........first shot was in the red at 50 yards......damn.......that miss was all me. Frustrating.

I hit a doe with a slug (a bit far back) and she ran a while. No blood trail at all. No hair. Never acted like she was hit when she went bouncing off. I ended up following her tracks to her. Sometimes there is no evidence that you hit your mark when you connect. I'm sure you did all you could to find him - but man that must still be in the back of your mind...

I hit a doe with a slug (a bit far back) and she ran a while. No blood trail at all. No hair. Never acted like she was hit when she went bouncing off. I ended up following her tracks to her. Sometimes there is no evidence that you hit your mark when you connect. I'm sure you did all you could to find him - but man that must still be in the back of your mind...

We looked for blood and folloewed the scuff marks in the leaves for quite awhe till we lost the trail.....never saw blood and lost the trail. Web gave it our best

We looked for blood and folloewed the scuff marks in the leaves for quite awhe till we lost the trail.....never saw blood and lost the trail. Web gave it our best

Saw one doe or either a a spike with very short antlers. I was not wearing my glasses and she was about 75 yeads away.She did notice me so I just watched and wanted to see how she acted. She stomped a bit and when she was leaving I pulled up the MZ to see if it was a doe and she noticed and flipped out and started yelling to everyone in ear shot.Probably heading back out to the same place torrow if the wind is going to be the same.

Saw one doe or either a a spike with very short antlers. I was not wearing my glasses and she was about 75 yeads away.She did notice me so I just watched and wanted to see how she acted. She stomped a bit and when she was leaving I pulled up the MZ to see if it was a doe and she noticed and flipped out and started yelling to everyone in ear shot.Probably heading back out to the same place torrow if the wind is going to be the same.

Excellent. You might connect again before the season comes to a close.

Good luck,

Bob

I did not see any deer today. I did see fellow conscripts in the orange army though... I don't think that counts though....

Every entrance to the woods that I passed on the way home had at least one car there. One spot had 4 crammed into a very small parking area.

I did see 5 very nice sized and good looking Tom's on the way home. Each had at least about a 4 inch beard (guessing a bit here). Had to wait for them to cross the road since they did not care that I was coming through.

I bumped deer in heavy woods this pm. Saw some bodies legs and tails. Couldn't see any heads or headgear. Sat the rest of the day.
Actually kinda ready to switch to coyote.

So finally spoke to one of land owners that owns a section of the area I've been checking out.

It's within walking distance of my house, I've seen some, not much, but some good signs and I've never seen anyone up there scouting or hunting.

He flat out said no when I asked about permission to hunt. Stated their was some problems with a hunter before and it almost came to legal issues. Said the landowners didn't want anymore hunters on their land.

He was nice about it, said I could hike the area all I wanted ( was with a kid and Dog in the woods when I saw him) but no hunting.

Do you guys think it's even worth asking the other landowners or should I just forget about it?

I was really hoping to get started hunting here. I'm not a experienced hunter and was looking forward to learning this winter, trying to call in a couple coyotes.

My brother suggested talking to one of the other land owners and "playing" the vet card and seeing what happens?

Whats your guys experience with landowners and being turned down?

Spent the day pushing deer around zone 9 with some friends. Pushed out 3 big does but no clear shot. Had a damn good time..........the family bagged two deer this season.......a total success and the memories will last a lifetime.

So finally spoke to one of land owners that owns a section of the area I've been checking out.

It's within walking distance of my house, I've seen some, not much, but some good signs and I've never seen anyone up there scouting or hunting.

He flat out said no when I asked about permission to hunt. Stated their was some problems with a hunter before and it almost came to legal issues. Said the landowners didn't want anymore hunters on their land.

He was nice about it, said I could hike the area all I wanted ( was with a kid and Dog in the woods when I saw him) but no hunting.

Do you guys think it's even worth asking the other landowners or should I just forget about it?

I was really hoping to get started hunting here. I'm not a experienced hunter and was looking forward to learning this winter, trying to call in a couple coyotes.

My brother suggested talking to one of the other land owners and "playing" the vet card and seeing what happens?

Whats your guys experience with landowners and being turned down?

Unless you ask the other landowners in the company of the same guy, I'd say it's not very successful to go shopping for an answer in this kind of situation, vet card to play or not.

If you know that others are still hunting there, I'd ask for a meeting with him and a couple others. But "not being an experienced hunter" may not be an arrow in your quiver. You may have to find another private place that is friendlier.

When a landowner says no to me asking if I can hunt their property I leave well enough alone, respect their decision and look elsewhere. It sucks but thats how it goes. I've been turned down more then I've been granted permission.

RDG,

Next time you ask for permission I would have a copy of the below Mass law printed with you and also the link to the webpage so they can review it. It may or may not help but cannot hurt to have it.

Section 17C. (a) Any person having an interest in land including the structures, buildings, and equipment attached to the land, including without limitation, railroad and utility corridors, easements and rights of way, wetlands, rivers, streams, ponds, lakes, and other bodies of water, who lawfully permits the public to use such land for recreational, conservation, scientific, educational, environmental, ecological, research, religious, or charitable purposes without imposing a charge or fee therefor, or who leases such land for said purposes to the commonwealth or any political subdivision thereof or to any nonprofit corporation, trust or association, shall not be liable for personal injuries or property damage sustained by such members of the public, including without limitation a minor, while on said land in the absence of wilful, wanton, or reckless conduct by such person. Such permission shall not confer upon any member of the public using said land, including without limitation a minor, the status of an invitee or licensee to whom any duty would be owed by said person.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleII/Chapter21/Section17c

Found from here under landowner liability:
http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/laws-regulations/

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Guess I'll keep scouting the area anyway, maybe things will change. Plus the boy and the pup love being out in the woods, and being close to home makes this a easy, quick hike.

I can see the guys point of view, in our brief discussion he did mention he really didn't want dirt bikes/quads on his property that they were tearing thing up. Near the end of our walk, I saw two teens on dirt bikes headed to where he was chopping wood. Heard them quickly shut town near him, and then start back up in the opposite direction. Guess he asked them to leave.

Any good suggestions on finding land to hunt. I'm not in the eastern part of that state, and there's plenty of woods/Forrest where we are but it's so hard to tell who owns what and where I should be.

I plan on asking some property owners for access this off season. My approach will be to have in my possession the law posted by Exo showing them they are not liable (so long as they is no $ charge for my access). I'll also offer some services, like reporting the condition of their land. Are there illegal tree stands (remove if they request), what are the conditions of their postings (gaps, vandalism, etc and repair if they request.), presence of others without permission, etc. I'll offer to share some venison if it's harvested from their land as well. Promise to treat it better than my own, etc. If it works, great - if not there are more fish in the sea. But I'm going to knock on some doors and see what I can muster up. Worse case is they say no - which leaves me pretty much where I am now. On the over crowded WMAs.

Way I see it is that if someone is going to let me use their land - it's a small price. Most of the above would be information I would obtain during scouting that I would be doing anyway. So it's little extra work and a small price to pay. And it's probably something they would appreciate.

Last edited:
Some good news today... Turns out my neighbor knows someone that owns a good chunk of property near me that has been hunting coyotes regular with success. Guess he's trying to thin the pack and get some more deer in his area. My neighbors gonna see if he can talk to him about me either

1) taking me along on a few hunts on his property
2) letting me hunt his property

Neighbor said he'd try to get in touch with him over the week. If not, I guess ringing his doorbell and asking wouldn't be a bad idea huh.

Got one today! My first deer ever. Actually the first deer I've ever seen while hunting them. It was a 5 pointer but dressed out it had to be about 150#. The shot wasn't the greatest, he was about 35 to 40 yards away on a steep downward angle so the shot went high and I spine shot him. Managed a quick reload and put him down. 1" higher and I would have missed, couple inches lower and I would have just wounded him and probably wouldn't have found him in the thick swampy area he was in. I now appreciate the saying that after the shot the real work begins. I'm sure I'll have a hard time walking tomorrow.

Got one today! My first deer ever. Actually the first deer I've ever seen while hunting them. It was a 5 pointer but dressed out it had to be about 150#. The shot wasn't the greatest, he was about 35 to 40 yards away on a steep downward angle so the shot went high and I spine shot him. Managed a quick reload and put him down. 1" higher and I would have missed, couple inches lower and I would have just wounded him and probably wouldn't have found him in the thick swampy area he was in. I now appreciate the saying that after the shot the real work begins. I'm sure I'll have a hard time walking tomorrow.
AWESOME!

Back
Top Bottom