• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2008 USPSA Area 7 Championship, June 7 & 8, Harvard Sportsmen's Club.

You need to go to uspsa.com then to major matches, then to area 7

The scores are up there
Major matches use uspsa.org (uspsa.com also works) as the primary area for posting results.

What an awesome match! I also want to express my thanks to all of the volunteers. You guys stuck it out in the heat and put together a great match that was well run.

Mike post 'em up!

Had a great time shooting with you guys today.

Matt Major Congrats to you!!!! Not only did you get married on Friday but to finish 9th in your division is AWESOME!!!! Plus, you're first C Limited as well... Great job! I think you are now a B shooter but I could be wrong...

Congrats Mike on your B win as well!!!! Great job you deserve it.

Pete

Thanks Pete. You did pretty well yourself!

I shot with Steve, Mike, Scott, Matt and Chris. I enjoyed shooting with them. They all made some awesome runs.

Chris and I seemed to be chasing each other back and fourth all day through the stages. We had a lot of fun. In the end he beat me by a couple of points to take 8th (awesome job Chris!). He shot a LOT of "A's"

During stage one I had that gun malfunction. I finished the stage but I needed to take it apart to repair it. I couldn't seem to get it functioning properly again.[shocked] I was starting to panic a bit at that point [crying] but Gary B. helped me get it up and running and off I went to the football stage.[grin] It ran perfectly for the rest of the day.[smile]

Thanks Dan- I certainly felt like I had sand bags tied around my ankles a few times yesterday!

Last edited:
Chris and I seemed to be chasing each other back and fourth all day through the stages. We had a lot of fun. In the end he beat me by a couple of points to take 8th (awesome job Chris!). He shot a LOT of "A's"

Yea that was a lot of fun shooting with you. Looks like I JUST squeezed by you for the top C shooter. Though it says i'm unclassified for some reason.

Yea that was a lot of fun shooting with you. Looks like I JUST squeezed by you for the top C shooter. Though it says i'm unclassified for some reason.

Chris, the software autmatically connects you to your classification as recorded in the USPSA records. It looks as though perhaps you recently changed to a Lifetime membership and got a new USPSA number, which isn't yet connected to your data. Send an e-mail to Gary Barna and give him your old USPSA number so that you can be properly classified for the match and get your High-C recognition.

Take care,
- Dan

Chris, the software autmatically connects you to your classification as recorded in the USPSA records. It looks as though perhaps you recently changed to a Lifetime membership and got a new USPSA number, which isn't yet connected to your data. Send an e-mail to Gary Barna and give him your old USPSA number so that you can be properly classified for the match and get your High-C recognition.

Take care,
- Dan

Thanks, Will do. I did just get a new number so that sounds about right.

No problemo... I may have handed it to you in picture mode a couple of times by accident. A couple of the "videos" were actually snapshots! [grin]

Matt Major Congrats to you!!!! Not only did you get married on Friday but to finish 9th in your division is AWESOME!!!! Plus, you're first C Limited as well... Great job!

Pete

Pete- Chris actually took first in C the results mistakenly indicated that he was unclassified. He deserves the congrats on the win for the C's.

Chris- lets squad together again sometime. I think we can have some great fun figuring out how to work through stages together.

Chris actually took first in C the results mistakenly indicated that he was unclassified.
The stats director is currently verifying his membership status which was shown as "expired" on the USPSA web site. Since the web site is updated only monthly, HQ will have more up to date information. (or, he can join by Wed is he has not done so, since we should have verified this before letting him shoot the match as USPSA rules require membership for Area Championship level matches).

Hi All - want to say that I had a great time shooting/working the match. What a great bunch of shooters. And what a great match, although I shot it like it was my fist time holding a gun :-(. Please don't look at my scores. Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed Stage 8 featuring Ray and the ladies. As hot as it was and as hard as you all were working, we wanted to try to keep a smile on your faces. Here's a link to my pictures - I think they came out pretty good -

http://picasaweb.google.com/deehmah/Area7June2008?authkey=KkvcMcGsT88

donna

I'm still trying to figure this all out so please bear with me if I could ask a couple questions:

1) Where any of the stages classifier stages at this match? (I hope not)
2) If I'm shooting single stack- I have two options- minor with 10 rnd mags or major with 8 rnd mags- it almost seems that shooting minor would be beneficial in a match with long stages since you only lose a point for minor in B/C zone. Am I way off on this assumption?
3) One last one that is unrelated to the match. What is the best way to figure out shooting steel? I swear I see my sights and I can't understand why I can't hit an 8" plate at 25 feet with any consistency! I'm sure match pressure is hosing me as well.

Thanks!

There were no classifiers at the Area match.
Shoot Major, others have tried the minor scoring in Limited and Single Stack. You think you can go faster because of the reduced recoil. The problem is, if you slap the trigger on a Major gun, you'll most likely slap the trigger on the Minor gun.
As for the steel, I think you were watching the plate, not the front sight.

I'm still trying to figure this all out so please bear with me if I could ask a couple questions:

1) Where any of the stages classifier stages at this match? (I hope not)
2) If I'm shooting single stack- I have two options- minor with 10 rnd mags or major with 8 rnd mags- it almost seems that shooting minor would be beneficial in a match with long stages since you only lose a point for minor in B/C zone. Am I way off on this assumption?
3) One last one that is unrelated to the match. What is the best way to figure out shooting steel? I swear I see my sights and I can't understand why I can't hit an 8" plate at 25 feet with any consistency! I'm sure match pressure is hosing me as well.

Thanks!

1.) There weren't any classifiers at this match
2.) Shooting Minor might give you confidence in having extra rounds but shooting C's will hurt you a lot more. Another option is to shoot Limited 10 with the .45 in major. Keep in mind that shooting 9mm is cheaper than .45 ACP though.
3.) Steel is a love hate relationship. Many people will take a good sight picture on steel but right before pulling the trigger they look OVER their sights to see the steel fall. Forget about the steel falling and get a sight picture and watch the front sight lift out of the notch. The instant that sight lifts you should know if you hit the steel or not. Don't wait to see the steel fall. That takes too long. Another possibility of missing steel is you're getting a good enough sight picture but are jerking the trigger before the shot fires.

Will you be able to make Harvard tomorrow night? Let me know and I'll bring some limited guns for you to try. Obviously, you can try my open gun as well.

If there are enough GMs in your division, the match itself can count as a classifier. For instance, last year there were 3 Limited GMs at the A7 in VT, and people shooting Limited had that match show up as a classifier with the percentage being their percentage finish in the match.

You'll sometimes hear of people that make Master or Grandmaster by going to big matches. They're the real deal.

1.) There weren't any classifiers at this match
2.) Shooting Minor might give you confidence in having extra rounds but shooting C's will hurt you a lot more. Another option is to shoot Limited 10 with the .45 in major. Keep in mind that shooting 9mm is cheaper than .45 ACP though.
3.) Steel is a love hate relationship. Many people will take a good sight picture on steel but right before pulling the trigger they look OVER their sights to see the steel fall. Forget about the steel falling and get a sight picture and watch the front sight lift out of the notch. The instant that sight lifts you should know if you hit the steel or not. Don't wait to see the steel fall. That takes too long. Another possibility of missing steel is you're getting a good enough sight picture but are jerking the trigger before the shot fires.

Will you be able to make Harvard tomorrow night? Let me know and I'll bring some limited guns for you to try. Obviously, you can try my open gun as well.

Thanks Dan/Pete for the info! You guys are great.

Pete- I plan on going to Harvard tomorrow- if I can I might get there a tad early. I would be curious as to how a limited gun compares to a plain S&W 1911.

Lugnut-

Check out some of the steel plate matches at MRA. They are rather informal and quite fun. Above all they are great practice and there are a bunch of awesome steel shooters who can share pointers. I know I have learned a bunch from them!

The schedule is posted in the competition forum.

Donna- Thanks for sharing these pictures. The action photos are pretty cool! You guys did a good job running that stage.

Last edited:
Thanks Dan/Pete for the info! You guys are great.

Pete- I plan on going to Harvard tomorrow- if I can I might get there a tad early. I would be curious as to how a limited gun compares to a plain S&W 1911.

The custom built guns are night and day compared to an S&W 1911. They are balanced so much differently and all the components are better. Plus, being a .40 the recoil impulse is different. I do have a doublestack .45 that I'll bring as well. What time are you planning on going down there tomorrow? I gave my notice and am currently unemployed so I can go whenever.

Pete

Chris- lets squad together again sometime. I think we can have some great fun figuring out how to work through stages together.

Absolutely

The stats director is currently verifying his membership status which was shown as "expired" on the USPSA web site. Since the web site is updated only monthly, HQ will have more up to date information. (or, he can join by Wed is he has not done so, since we should have verified this before letting him shoot the match as USPSA rules require membership for Area Championship level matches).

The problem was that i recently got my new number for a life membership and my stats have not been moved over yet.

The custom built guns are night and day compared to an S&W 1911. They are balanced so much differently and all the components are better. Plus, being a .40 the recoil impulse is different. I do have a doublestack .45 that I'll bring as well. What time are you planning on going down there tomorrow? I gave my notice and am currently unemployed so I can go whenever.

Pete

I can sneak out early too. PM incoming.

Thanks!

You might be seeing your sights, but are they on the target when the trigger breaks. I sometimes see the dot on the plate, but by the time I break the trigger, I am already starting to transition off the plate, you need visual patience and good follow through. you will shoot much faster if you take the time to hit the plate the first time. think about the shot you are taking not the one you are going to take. .

Now, can anyone tell me how I can miss a fullsize IPSC target at less than a yard.[thinking] riddle me that.

In that picture, I'm just about to break the 2nd shot on the 2nd target, it was the first target that have the perfect double. Looking at the video in slow motion, I still can't tell wear the first shot on the first target, you can see dirt fly behind the target, but the angle makes it impossible to know where it hit. It wouldn't have been the first time I missed a super close target, but it sure as hell will be the last

Last edited:
What I noticed about the difference between the GM's and us is that they ALWAYS shoot A's. Their times are a little faster than us but their hits are MUCH better. Watching Dave Sevigny shoot production was interesting. He shot quickly but almost every target had 2 A's.

Mike don't feel bad as I had 2 Misses on stage 6 on the same easy target. I will go to the grave saying this "but I know I called 2 perfect shots on that target" and totally feel someone taped them and didn't say anything. I could be wrong but I ran an awesome run on that stage and there is no way I missed 2 shots on one target that was about 6 feet away when I wasn't moving. Although, stranger things have happened.

Now it's time to refocus on accuracy.

Pete

I’m really happy that folks enjoyed the match and it’s great to see everyone talking about how they shot and how they finished. 180 shooters in three days. But now it’s time for me to put-in a quick word of thanks to the army of competitors who sacrificed their best performances so that the match could come together. There were a huge number of guys and gals who realized that giving back into the game is critical to keeping it alive. You just plain cannot run the match and shoot the way you normally can shoot. It’s barely possible to list them all, but quite a few of them are regular NEShooters contributors.

Pistol Pete, Kimmie1911, 10mmdave, Ipscdrl, Pyano, Maineshootah, Ariel, and a bunch of others shot in cold, wet conditions on Friday and then worked for two straight days of scorching 90 degree heat.

Supermoto, Scottb, and 38supermatt were blast-fired in the vortex of Hell at Stage 7 for a grueling 8 hour day, and then tried to recover in time to shoot on Sunday, when PMD and Ethan were doing their own penance in the vortex all day. GTOshooter spent Saturday at his own personal hell on Stage 9 and still went down to the vortex to lend support when he could.

And Rob Boudrie, well … he just did it all.

You had to see the burned, haggard faces on these guys as they worked to keep the match moving smoothly and professionally in the sweltering conditions. Please thank them when you see them. If not for their sacrifice, who knows where they might have finished.

Back
Top Bottom