2008 USPSA Area 7 Championship, June 7 & 8, Harvard Sportsmen's Club.

Cuz

NES Member
Ok, who's going? And what Division are you shooting?

I'm shooting on Sunday, in Production division. Does anyone know if they will post the stages like they did last year? They were a big help to me.
-Cuz.

I'll be shootin Limited. I'm sure PistolPete, GTO, Supermoto, PMD will be shooting Open. Plus a bunch of others on this board shooting in various divisions.

I am psyched Harvard is hosting the Area match this year. They do an awesome job with the big matches and put in a huge effort so all the shooters can have a great time.

I would bet Dan H. will have the stages up as soon as they have them figured out.

Bring back Jac Jac, Dan! - Break him out of the concrete!

I'm shooting on Sunday in Open, hopefully doing better than last year. I still cringe when I think about the "turret gunner" stage.

That was a quite a challenge. Especially with those fast moving swingers that never seemed to slow down.[sad2]

I think we ended up calling it the "Millennium Falcon Stage"

I'm shooting on Sunday in Open, hopefully doing better than last year. I still cringe when I think about the "turret gunner" stage.

Gaaaawwwwwwwwwwd, yes! A lot of people blew that one, myself included. Even AFTER being warned about the "back against the chair" requirement. [rolleyes]

Fine for the long-legged, but the rest of us needed to lean forward to get enough traverse.

Stages have been NROI approved and we'll post them on the official 2008 Area 7 website (www.harvardactionshooters.com) as soon as possible. Don't wait any longer to sign-up for this bargain price match ($60 for a 10 stage Level III Area Championship). There are only 31 slots left out of 144 paying positions and we're still 2-1/2 months away. Competitors must be USPSA members for a Level III event, so if you're not yet a member simply head to www.uspsa.org with your credit card number.

We're going to need a ton of RO support or we'll be in danger. You don't need to be NROI certified to work a stage and it's a surprising amount of fun with no heavy lifting. You'll also learn an amazing amount about shooting during a very short time. If you can help on both Saturday and Sunday, you can shoot on Friday and save your match fee. You also don't need to worry about getting a slot when you're an RO. But I'm more than grateful if you can spare only 1 day and we'll still give you back $30 of the fee. If you're willing to give some time to help assure that this match will happen, please send me a PM or contact me at [email protected].

Dan thanks for the heads up. Application is going out today.

Let me know what I can do to help- no rebate is necessary.

Dan,

Scott, Matt, and I will be driving up to work a stage on Saturday.

I highly recommend not only shooting the match but working it as well. I worked my first major match at the Sectional last year and it was a lot of fun. Want to get some experience on fast forward? Come down and hang out for a day lending a hand. It helps a ton learning the scoring, rules, and ways to shoot (or not shoot) a stage.

You really only need to be a good listener and a willing helper because there is plently of experience down there to go around. Harvard utilizes cutting edge Palm pilot scoring that is a breeze to use. If you can navigate your way to the forum, you can score on the Palm.

See you there!

Steve

I would be more than happy to work a stage on Sat. If you need help with the stage set up, I should be available also.

This year, I'm not giving any tips to fellow shooters and then have them beat me the next day.

Last edited:
I would be more than happy to work a stage on Sat. If you need help with the stage set up, I should be available also.

This year, I'm not giving any tips to fellow shooters and then have them beat me the next day.

How about sharing tips with those who are not shooting in the same division as you?? [smile]

How about sharing tips with those who are not shooting in the same division as you??
People in this sport are generally happy to share tips from people in the same division as well (writing from the conference room in the embyronic megolopolis of greater Sedro Woolley)

People in this sport are generally happy to share tips from people in the same division as well (writing from the conference room in the embyronic megolopolis of greater Sedro Woolley)

Its a joke that goes back to the NE sectionals. I had a crappy day of shooting and the only stage that I did well one (had 1st place) I showed a certain shooters a different way to shoot it. This shooter will remain nameless, Let call him, S. Lyons. ...no wait that's to easy to know... we'll call this shooter Steve L. Well Steve L was nice enough to bump me out of 1st using my tip.

This shooter will remain nameless, Let call him, S. Lyons. ...no wait that's to easy to know... we'll call this shooter Steve L. Well Steve L was nice enough to bump me out of 1st using my tip.

Hmmm, lets see... That had to be Stage 8 am I right? I saw him shoot that on a video and I was pissed as soon as I saw it. It was done effortless and looked so easy. I couldn't believe how simple it looked watching that run. Before I saw that I could "see" a couple of ways to run the stage. After watching him run it I realized there really wasn't any other way to do it better. I thought I actually had a good plan which involved shooting wildly from left to right and back again (never a good idea). In my opinion that was the best run of any of the stages in the match that I saw.

-Cuz.

Hmmm, lets see... That had to be Stage 8 am I right? I saw him shoot that on a video and I was pissed as soon as I saw it. It was done effortless and looked so easy. I couldn't believe how simple it looked watching that run. Before I saw that I could "see" a couple of ways to run the stage. After watching him run it I realized there really wasn't any other way to do it better. I thought I actually had a good plan which involved shooting wildly from left to right and back again (never a good idea). In my opinion that was the best run of any of the stages in the match that I saw.

-Cuz.

Yep, stage 8

Refresh my memory. Which one was stage 8? Was that the one with all of the walls that were set up in a semi circle?

it was the speed shoot about 6sec with a static and swing on one side, same on the other, with 2 poppers and a steel plate in the middle, but you couldn't see the plate from the box.

The one in a half circle with the walls, I could have used a map. I got so lost, engaged some targets twice, I was basically wondering around shooting at any target I saw

Last edited:
O.K. I remember that one now. It was in the second pit on the road down to the 300 yd range. That was the one RGS was ROing.

If not for Chris M. I would have been totally lost on that stage too. He walked me through it a few times and voila the plan stuck in my head. Too bad for me he moved to PA. He was sharing some good stuff with me at the matches last year and it helped me excel.

Yeah, that was a good stage. Mike and Chris told me how they shot it, but it I was on the fence on whether Matt's plan was good for me until the last minute. Sometimes more than one plan can work out because everyone has different strengths. Matt was only .47 seconds behind me shooting a completely different plan.

Back on topic, that stage was designed by Chris of GT Targets and I heard that he designed another one for this year's match that sounds like even more fun. I think Dan said it was something like 16 pieces of steel and 16 rounds on paper. I'm looking forward to that one. Winning that stage last year was good but it was also worth the fewest points of the match.

Hi Guys - Looking forward to seeing you all at the match! Me, Evelyn and Jackie will be working both days and shooting on Friday. I'm shooting major limited 10. Me and the girls are on our way to Louisiana next week for the LadySmith Match and a class at Kay and Jerry Michuleks range, so hopefully some of what I learn there will help me with some of those wild and crazy stages Harvard is know for thinking up! Boy do I remember that semi-circle one! Almost broke the 180 on that and probably shot every target twice!!!!!

I shot stage 8 different than Matt and Steve and I was .45 slower than Steve. I shot Limited but that was one of those stages were there's not much difference between the two. Sometimes the time on a stage is more a function of being committed to your plan - and not somebody elses plan.

Last edited:
I am new to living in MA, but can someone clarify how people are shooting Open when almost all the high caps are banned in MA?? I had planned on shooting production on this one anyhow.

I am new to living in MA, but can someone clarify how people are shooting Open when almost all the high caps are banned in MA??

By obtaining PRE-ban mags, obviously. [rolleyes]

You could also shoot Limited-10 or Single-Stack, neither of which require pre-ban mags to be competitive.

I am new to living in MA, but can someone clarify how people are shooting Open when almost all the high caps are banned in MA?? I had planned on shooting production on this one anyhow.

Not everyone shooting open lives in Massachusetts, or didn't even start their shooting career in MA. Many of us came into the state with this stuff, and for out of staters there is no law that says you can't come into the state with the equipment to compete. Why would you even bother to ask a question like this?

Not everyone shooting open lives in Massachusetts, or didn't even start their shooting career in MA. Many of us came into the state with this stuff, and for out of staters there is no law that says you can't come into the state with the equipment to compete. Why would you even bother to ask a question like this?

I asked because the Area 7 will be in MA, MA doesnt allow post ban hi-cap mags, and most people at this match will be using them. I wanted clarification of the law. If I knew the law I wouldnt have asked.

Last edited:
I asked because the Area 7 will be in MA, MA doesnt allow post ban hi-cap mags, and most people at this match will be using them. I wanted clarification of the law. If I knew the law I wouldnt have asked.

Only preban hicaps are legal in MA... regardless of where the shooter's home is.

Back
Top Bottom