1911pd Blued Or Stainless

Does anyone have the SS version in 4 1/4" Also what do they mean "TRUE COMMADER STYLE" accepts all standard parts yada yada? The SS won't accept those?
Will the scandium frame hold up as well "Unblued" with a clear coat on it?

I looked at it on S&W web site it looks sharp.

PG

SS is just the metal it is made out of. The blued ones are carbon steel or aluminum alloy. For a working gun SS is a more practical finish as it doesn't suffer added corrosion when it wears and is fairly corrosion resistant without an extra applied finish.

True commander configuration refers to the setup of the frame and slide and whether they are just a cut down government frame/slide, or "true commander" configuration the way Colt makes commanders which have a few minor differences from the Government model. I think things like the ejector and some other small parts are different.

re S&W 1911 commander

I bought a S&W 1911Sc a few months ago. Very accurate. Light gun. Never owned a commander-sized 1911 before. Do notice the difference in recoil from the std 1911, but that is the 28 oz vs 39 oz. This even with target loads, not full metal jacket which would be MUCH more noticeable.

These are made to be carry guns, not target guns, hence smaller for better concealment, and lighter for long term carry.

All-in-all a very nice gun.

I don't have a daily carry sidearm that is SS anymore (unless you count my .44 Mag that I on ly carry in the woods), I would go back to one in a heart beat though.

I love (as much as a man can love a machine, and you guys know what I mean, sorry ladies) my Sc, but keeping up with oiling it everyday, though not unpleasant, could become tiresome if I didn't handle it just to hold it.

If it had a SS slide with the Sc frame it would be better, though I don't miss the extra weight of my P220ST now that I have the 1911.

I love (as much as a man can love a machine, and you guys know what I mean, sorry ladies) my Sc, but keeping up with oiling it everyday, though not unpleasant, could become tiresome if I didn't handle it just to hold it.

Why oil it every day?

I have a black sc, carry it daily and wipe it off about weekly with a dry cloth. Occasionally, I'll put a drop or two of oil on a cloth and wipe it over the gun.

Sometimes I just wipe it down with a silicone cloth.

I really don't do much more with it than I used to with the stainless SW I used to carry.

Ive been carrying the sc nearly daily for about a year and it still looks great.

I suppose this deserves a second post, not just an edit.

I haven’t put a “clear coat” on my Sc and I use a leather holster exclusively for both of my carry pieces. That said, after less than a year of nominal use (IDPA matches, practice nights, practice on my own, and both dry and live fire) my frames do show wear.

To me this is just “character” for the sidearm, just like a correctly used and loved tool from a craftsman. On average my carry pieces are holstered and drawn about four times a day. This includes the days where I just holster and draw to put them in the safe and during practice. After eight or nine months and six months, my 1911Sc and 642, respectively, show that they have been used by a human hand.

For me, I don’t like having trophy tools, and the same goes for my guns. If I haven’t used it in the past three months, it goes back on the market.

Why oil it every day?

I have a black sc, carry it daily and wipe it off about weekly with a dry cloth. Occasionally, I'll put a drop or two of oil on a cloth and wipe it over the gun.

Sometimes I just wipe it down with a silicone cloth.

I really don't do much more with it than I used to with the stainless SW I used to carry.

Ive been carrying the sc nearly daily for about a year and it still looks great.

I give off a lot of body heat, this combined with a leather IWB holster I have noticed that if I don't wipe it (the slide) down with oil it will start to "patina" on me. For me this has just become the daily part of life. Similar to getting rid of the empty coffee cups in my truck; if I let it run more than a couple of days, it starts to make more of a mess than what I am comfortable with.

I give off a lot of body heat, this combined with a leather IWB holster I have noticed that if I don't wipe it (the slide) down with oil it will start to "patina" on me. For me this has just become the daily part of life. Similar to getting rid of the empty coffee cups in my truck; if I let it run more than a couple of days, it starts to make more of a mess than what I am comfortable with.

[smile] Man what a good way of putting that!

hehhehehe

Arrr

-Weer'd Beard

I found a SS SC in stock and shes coming home next week!!
Thanks for the replys I'll try and post pics of my FIRST 1911!!!

I feel like a kid on his way to Disney! LOL!

PG

Back
Top Bottom