1911 in .380

I've handled one as well, I was very impressed with how it felt, but as Zappa said I wasn't crazy about the composite frame. It handles very nicely and it would carry well! I have not fired one, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at an opportunity. I'd snag one.

I have owned one weapon chambered in .380, bought it from a member here, sold it within weeks.... I don't even remember what it was, but I sold it to fund the purchase of a Sig P6 ( now that one I regret selling)....

I have never thought much of the .380's ballistics, especially penetrating power. If you are defending yourself against someone with a heavy jacket and a sweatshirt, you may find yourself wishing for something with a bit more penetrating power.

I have friends in the Southwest and Florida that swear by .380 guns..... small, light, easy to conceal under warn weather clothing.

If you are going to encounter people wearing light layers of clothing, then you are probably going to get the threat stopped with a couple of well placed rounds with a .380.

I suppose like the old Raven .25 I carried as a B.U.G. back in the day, it is better than having nothing, but I'll still take a Glock 26, S&W model 60 with +P's or something in 40 short & weak over the .380 around here.

Back in the dark days of POTUS 44, when the Military was making huge purchases of 9mm ammo to keep the production lines from making 9 for civilian use, the supply of 380 really dried up as it is made on the 9MM machinery and the manufacturers were unwilling to make 9mm JHP , forgt getting them to make .380.... the government money was too good to turn down.

I don't think JMB would be all to worried about the .380 .....JFK look at the history of his sub 45 cal offerings that lead to the 1911. Also IIRC JMB didn't even think about 45 cal until the army said make it bigger.
I think JMB would say todays 1911s are built wrong....to tight to fancy and such.

Its funny how many JMB designs are still used today being so out dated and all..... think about it there really has not been a huge design change in firearms or ammunition in close to 100 years. bullets have become a bit better.
I for one don't get the .380 1911 thing other than recoil reduction.

It supposedly a 7/8 scale. That's like comparing a Ruger Single Six to a Blackhawk. It's probably an accurate, pleasant shooting .380 but it's still a .380. I'd rather carry the extra weight and bulk of a full size 1911 in .45.

To the nay sayers, that poo poo the .380 round. let me ask you a question. Does your 9mm, or ,45acp ammo leave the barrel at 1275 fps? My Buffalo Bore .380,J.H.P. does. Assuming that you understand ballistics, you'd be hard pressed to deny that this .380 bullet penetrates very well. It's also very accurate out of my Colt, Gov. model .380. This handgun/ammo combination is a really good, summer carry combo.The only 9mm round that I know of that leaves the barrel at 1275 fps is the Winchester Ranger, 127 gr, +P+ round that I use in my 9mm handguns.

To the nay sayers, that poo poo the .380 round. let me ask you a question. Does your 9mm, or ,45acp ammo leave the barrel at 1275 fps? My Buffalo Bore .380,J.H.P. does. Assuming that you understand ballistics, you'd be hard pressed to deny that this .380 bullet penetrates very well. It's also very accurate out of my Colt, Gov. model .380. This handgun/ammo combination is a really good, summer carry combo.The only 9mm round that I know of that leaves the barrel at 1275 fps is the Winchester Ranger, 127 gr, +P+ round that I use in my 9mm handguns.

I'm actually kind of impressed if those numbers are real, not doubting you, but our 'hot' 155 gr 40's were at that velocity. We went to a slower 180 gr bullet for 'reasons'.

I doubt many people have seen actual gunshot wounds in real life. I'd rather a poke in the eye than shot with a .380, even wearing armor, it's going to hurt.

I don't know, a ~9mm hole is still a ~9mm hole.

Yes, this is true, and a valid point. And also why I carry a PM9 in the summer.

To each his own. I don't doubt that it is a sweet shooter. But aside from the recoil issue, if I am going to carry a gun that size, I would want it to pack more punch than 380.
I do see it's value as a training tool, especially for new or smaller shooters. But my thinking is, if I have to carry a small firearm for concealment, and I can get it chambered in 9mm vs 380, I am going to. Conversely, if attire allows for a big gun, I would prefer it chambered in something that starts with a four.

To each his own. I don't doubt that it is a sweet shooter. But aside from the recoil issue, if I am going to carry a gun that size, I would want it to pack more punch than 380.

Right, these are my thoughts. It’s not that I’ve got a big issue with .380; I’ve just got an issue with .380 in a nearly full-size gun. YMMV, but in a world where a gun the size of the p238 works just fine, I think this is a solution in search of a problem.

What bullet weight gets you 1275 fps in the .380? You can get that velocity and more with a 200 grain bullet in a full size 1911 in 10mm.

There was a video from a shop owner who was buying back one of the Browning 1911 380s because the purchaser was having issues and Browning refused to honor the warranty. I forget all the details, but it felt like Browning was hanging the lady out to dry.

I have the Browning 1911-22. It is smaller than the .380, 75% scale I think. I’ve put probably 1000 rounds through it. Everything from Golden Bullet (garbage) to CCI minimags and has never failed. IMO that gun makes much more sense than the .380. I’m looking forward to training my son on the 1911 platform with that little .22 some day.

Oh and the G42 was my Dead-of-summer carry gun until I got myself a P938.

For some people with severe arthritis, yes, it is.

Other problems as well. There is a woman I have taken shooting a few times who is considering a .22 as her condition makes even full sized metal framed 9mm too much for more than a couple shots and she wants to be able to practice and become proficient. Something like 1908 or a midsized pistol in .380 might be just right. Something with a 4" barrel to get what ever you can out of a .380 and preferably a modern lock breech instead of blowback would probably be as close to perfect for her.

Agree - there are some nice .380 personal defense loads, off-the-shelf, that are nothing to sneeze-at. At 50 feet or closer distances, it's a fine cartridge.

Back
Top Bottom