1903a3 out for a test ride with the new CMP stock

mac1911

NES Member
Well after going through the 1903a3 finding the headspace to be good to go and replacing the stock with a fresh CMP new one.

I shot like blahhh. Im so used to the garand I just could not settle behind this well the first time out.

I did how ever get the gent with all the tools and gauges to check my muzzle wear and throat erosion Muzzle a tad over zero woohoo, thoat was just under one!

I had a chance to crony my loads though and running average 2598 fps high was 2643 low was 2591 the rest held right in there hovering around 2600 I had a lot of problems in the bright sun and only got 18 out of the 30 rounds I sent over the crony to register.

she still shoots a tad low so a shorter front sight to come.

I've got an original proofed Semi-C stock on hold for my 1931 barreled 1919 RIA receiver. The original is cracked behind the tang. Hope to get it in action the end of the month.

MS

As you did, mac, I also had a little trouble adjusting to the sight picture with mine. I think a little more quality time behind the irons may help this situation.

I also must admit I got a little recoil drunk....twards the last 15 rounds or so I was feeling it a bit. Also the trigger is so different from the Garand. All in all it was a good start. Now I just wish someone made a replacement recoil pad much like the mosin offering. ?

I also must admit I got a little recoil drunk....twards the last 15 rounds or so I was feeling it a bit. Also the trigger is so different from the Garand. All in all it was a good start. Now I just wish someone made a replacement recoil pad much like the mosin offering. ?

Ive gotten spoiled spending more time with the AR..... I went out with my Lend-Lease remington M1917 the other day, ouch! If forgot how much a pain that thing was after 30 rounds!

There's something about the 1903 stock that makes it transfer energy more sharply than the garand. I feel like I can shoot the garand all day, but the 1903 feels like a nagant to me.

There's something about the 1903 stock that makes it transfer energy more sharply than the garand. I feel like I can shoot the garand all day, but the 1903 feels like a nagant to me.

I would say, not so much the stock on the 03 but the almost 2lbs weight and the semi auto operating system on the Garand is what your feeling ( or not feeling )

Last edited:
I will be adding lead tape where ever I can to weight the 03 down a bit. I also will at some point add a recoil pad. I will also play with reloads and shoot some lighter slower rounds to ease recoil a bit.

I generally shoot only surplus in my rifles. 60 rounds is the max my shoulder will take with the steel butt plates, either Mauser or Springfield. Until the stock cracked it was my best shooter, consistant 4" groups at 100 yards.

I have 70 rounds of Greek and American surplus '57-'66 to break in the new stock; now that didn't sound right, did it?[slap]

MS

Last edited:
Pilgram, happen to know the make and model of the slip on pad ? I have 3 that just wont fit and all local sources have what I have.

I can't believe how little I have shot this gun over the years.
I have since moved on to shooting cast loads through it for 12 cents per round.
I will be shooting a match with it next weekend...
I have to remember to ask the target puller to take some pictures of my targets.

My 03A3 load is 46.0 imr4064 under a nosler (usually second/blem) 155. With a shooting jacket on it's a very comfortable and accurate load, at least out to 200yards. I remember shooting HXP through this rifle a while back and it was torture.

How do you like that CMP stock? Did you have to do any additional fitting? I've been thinking of getting one.

it just took a little getting used to and finding that sweet spot in my shoulder pocket. I use a shooting jacket in the matches but not so much when just going to the range.
Before I went full cast with this rifle I was loading 44 grains varget with a 168 noslers and was getting 1.5" groups from the rifle rest.

Mac, by "sweet spot" you mean that area where you have killed off all nerve endings by relentless pursuit of recoil?

Pretty much....
I find the shape of the stock plays a lot in how it feels. The 1903a3 C stock I have tends to favor the edge vs sitting flat so I need to get it more to the inside of my shoulder vs the M1 or Mauser

I'm,going to try and sneak out tomorrow for a quick zero check and try my 200 grain cast load out. If all goes well I should be about 9" high at 100 yards and hope to be 3" or less. That will be 10 ring at 200.

I get on better with the 03 than the 03A3 even with the more complicated sights. I have been using the DEN 42 and LC 53 brass loaded by book to 2650 fps 4895 for the M1 using M2 pulled bullets.

DSCF9061a1_zpsce2040b0.jpg

03A3
DSCF9060a1_zps7de96354.jpg

DSCF0074_zpsc87c7252.jpg

I still have trouble with the thin front sight blade at 200 yards so these are pistol targets at 112 yards. They no longer allow the military half body targets that seem easier to score on at 200 yards.

Good luck

DSCF0019_zpsd30df19c.jpg

I get on better with the 03 than the 03A3 even with the more complicated sights. I have been using the DEN 42 and LC 53 brass loaded by book to 2650 fps 4895 for the M1 using M2 pulled bullets.

DSCF9061a1_zpsce2040b0.jpg

03A3
DSCF9060a1_zps7de96354.jpg

DSCF0074_zpsc87c7252.jpg

I still have trouble with the thin front sight blade at 200 yards so these are pistol targets at 112 yards. They no longer allow the military half body targets that seem easier to score on at 200 yards.

Good luck

DSCF0019_zpsd30df19c.jpg

I use the fat .100" USMC front sight blade and a SR target at 200 yards. I use a center hold.
nice shooting and nice guns
Also to help a little target shooting. The larger USMC front sight hood/protector works well with the SR black bull and I also opened up my rear aperture to .045"

Last edited:
Made me want to take my Remington out again. First 3 were high with the rear sight at 200. Also added one left click back to the witness mark. 30 rounds 71/78 HXP at 100; best yet - 8.89 points/round average. Really getting the hang of the 03A3 now - I no longer use the front sight cover.

T

Made me want to take my Remington out again. First 3 were high with the rear sight at 200. Also added one left click back to the witness mark. 30 rounds 71/78 HXP at 100; best yet - 8.89 points/round average. Really getting the hang of the 03A3 now - I no longer use the front sight cover.

T

The C stock really helps for me target shooting. I don't think I posted this yet. Last year spring field match with my cast loads. My 5 sighters where high. My remaining 20 shots where in the black. Another Springfield match on the 7th and I hope to get a personal high score with this rifle and cast loads.

Last edited:
well ran out today on my lunch break.... typical mad minute test. Forgot to set my sight so 1st shot was LOW. Remembered my setting (on 700 for this load) banged out 9 rounds. Zero check is good and happy with this
5 shots with 165gn cast flat nose, tumble lube design, gas checked, 16 grains 2400 and wolf LR primers random HXP cases. 5 shots with 200 grain 314299 sized to .310" its not easy to see but thr 165 holes are the 4 clean holes in the upper group vs the more torn holes of the 200 grain byullets.
100 yards , gi loop sling elbows on bench.

Last edited:
Just thought a up date was in order.
Here is the bore of my rescued a3

I shot a 279/300 @ the vintage match.
All time best for this rifle in a match.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another Springfield match.
I'm shooting the match with the current 165gn flat nose and 16 grains 2400. I hope to run a quick batch test of the 200 grain bullet I have.

fzMfIBt.jpg

Last edited:
This will be interesting to see, since the Garand didn't like the Ranch Dogs...

I never tried running the ranch dogs fast and I think the alloy and size was/is wrong for the velocity I was running them at in the M1.
in the 1903a3 they are powder puffs... might be 1500 fps or so. Even the 200 grain bullet will be.

The M1 I am using has done prettu good with some light 30 cal cast bullets I have for the M1 carbine but those are mouse farts. about 1100fps. no gas check plin base design. They don't even cause the op rod spring to vibrate. they are silly and only good for 100 yard plinking. Im sure I can shoot them at 200 yards

Last edited:
Fun with the 03 today
Slow fire prone took me 3 shots to find the 10 ring IF only I could see my shots better through the scope I would have gave it another Minute to the right
A7hU9Sy.jpg

Same rifle same sight setting slow fire prone but with a different bullet. Need to work up a load a little better for this bullet
wK39UVu.jpg

Back
Top Bottom