'17 NH Constitutional Carry, SB12 is law & U can carry if U can own, including MA res

Never pass up the opportnity to slant the coverage to your personal view.

Here's a news headline that caught my eye, from The Laconia Daily Sun:

Post-SB12, Sanbornton police warn travelers to pack pistol permits

I wondered what the Sanborton PD would be warning travelers about, so I check out the article. First paragraph:

After Gov. Chris Sununu signed Senate Bill 12, Constitutional Carry legislation, into law Wednesday, area law enforcement officials cautioned the public that they still will need a concealed carry permit if they plan to travel with a firearm into reciprocating states.

But if you read what the Sandborton PD actually said, it's far from "warning" and the tone is actually helpful.

"Residents that would like to continue to have concealed carry permits can still get them from the Sanbornton Police Department," Sanbornton Police Chief Steve Hankard wrote on Facebook Wednesday. "Maintaining a permit will allow holders to carry in the other states that have reciprocity with New Hampshire. The list of applicable states can be found on the NH State Police website, under the Permits and Licensing section."

and later

Sanbornton Police Chief Steve Hankard said his office issued 140 concealed carry permits last year. While he expected that number to drop based on the new law, Hankard said he still anticipates some residents will request permits.
"The permits will still be issued as requested," he said.

I guess "Sanbornton police offers helpful advice to concealed carrier while traveling" doesn't make a good headline.

As I understand it, and I am not an expert, the fish and game statute only applies to ATV/UTV/Snowmobile. I have always CCed on boats and believe they are treated like regular vehicles/cars.

Boats and Aircraft are included also.
I was going to say the same thing in an earlier post but the only RSA I could find only mentioned rifles and shotguns, not hand guns...where is the RSA specifying handguns as well? You're probably right but if I am asked the same question by friends/acquaintances, it would be good to point them to the law as written.

So, Channel 7 dedicated a quick minute to this story and injected no propaganda or spin just stated the facts that Governer Sununu signed the legislation that allows citizens to carry a concealed weapon if they are not prohibited by state or federal law from owning a firearm.

Call me surprised.

One other point that was brought up in a different discussion...

In NH, there's no law prohibiting firearm carry on school grounds, but the federal GFSZA Act still applies.... UNLESS you have a permit/licensed issued by the State or political entity that the school is in.

So: a Resident OR Non-Resident NH PRL allows school carry. Beyond reciprocity, that's another reason to keep/renew them.

My research tells me this is true; however "a license qualifies as an exception only if the law of the State or political subdivision requires law enforcement authorities to verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license." I guess that means that if someone like your town selectman issues licenses, that wouldn't be good enough. Not sure if we have any towns like that in NH.

What I don't know is if a NH state/city police officer has the authority to enforce the federal gun free school zone law (or would they care to try). I thought I read somewhere that they didn't have the authority.

Hi All,

Looking for a quick and simple answer (if there is one). I am looking within the 75 pages of this thread and didn't see it exactly..

Does this eliminate the NH Non-Res? I.E. If i am unrestricted in MA I can carry in NH?

Thanks

Hi All,

Looking for a quick and simple answer (if there is one). I am looking within the 75 pages of this thread and didn't see it exactly..

Does this eliminate the NH Non-Res? I.E. If i am unrestricted in MA I can carry in NH?

Thanks

On long threads I tend to forgive repeted questions but this is getting out of hand. If you're going through the entire thread this is definitely covered.

But here we go again; The non-res has not been eliminated, but it is no longer required.

There may be advantages to keeping/getting your non-res, CC at schools being one.

Please read the thread.

My research tells me this is true; however "a license qualifies as an exception only if the law of the State or political subdivision requires law enforcement authorities to verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license." I guess that means that if someone like your town selectman issues licenses, that wouldn't be good enough. Not sure if we have any towns like that in NH.

What I don't know is if a NH state/city police officer has the authority to enforce the federal gun free school zone law (or would they care to try). I thought I read somewhere that they didn't have the authority.

Yes, unfortunately this tortured interpretation lives on, even though the NH AG has stated the license exempts you from the GFZA. Why people cling to this (or ever came up with it in the first place) is beyond me.

Hi All,

Thanks

On long threads I tend to forgive repeted questions but this is getting out of hand. If you're going through the entire thread this is definitely covered.

But here we go again; The non-res has not been eliminated, but it is no longer required.

There may be advantages to keeping/getting your non-res, CC at schools being one.

Please read the thread.

And also for not the first time, your MA carry license has no relevance at all to the subject, it has no bearing in NH, period.

Hi All,

Thanks

Really. This is a one question test.

AM I A PROHIBITED PERSON?

If yes, I may not carry concealed in NH

If no, I may carry concealed in NH.

Note there is no second question about residence, whether or not you have another LTC, whether or not you own property, or are just traveling through, or know Steve from Blue's Clues, etc.

One question test.

I have a question that I haven't seen answered: Does this remove the "loaded in vehicle" restriction that was previously written into NH law?

Please read the thread.

I don't know if this has been asked before or not but does this new law pertain to non NH residents?[emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

During the elections, several entities (fbi, atf, nh ag, nh sp) all issued press releases or were quoted that a prl met the requirements for the exemption.

Non res absolutely does as it is only issued by the nh sp.

I was going to say the same thing in an earlier post but the only RSA I could find only mentioned rifles and shotguns, not hand guns...where is the RSA specifying handguns as well? You're probably right but if I am asked the same question by friends/acquaintances, it would be good to point them to the law as written.

The two statutes that deal with handguns are on OHRV'S and snowmobiles. Boats and aircraft are not included. You are correct, the statute that includes those deals with long guns and crossbows.

Boats and Aircraft are included also.

For handguns? Which statute? Because its not

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xviii/215-a/215-a-20.htm

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XVIII/215-C/215-C-35.htm

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xviii/207/207-7.htm

The two statutes that deal with handguns are on OHRV'S and snowmobiles. Boats and aircraft are not included. You are correct, the statute that includes those deals with long guns and crossbows.

For handguns? Which statute? Because its not

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xviii/215-a/215-a-20.htm

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XVIII/215-C/215-C-35.htm

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xviii/207/207-7.htm

Came back to update, I looked at the statutes and I agree.

The state defines OHRV basically as something that goes on land. Loaded rifles/shotguns are prohibited from all OHRVs, boats, and aircraft. Pistol permit required to carry loaded handgun on OHRV, but not a boat.

The federal Gun Free School Zones Act of 1996 made it against federal law for an adult who is not a member of law enforcement to carry a weapon within 1,000 feet of public, parochial or private schools.

But to be enforced here, there must be a state gun-free school zone law — something the state Legislature has repeatedly rejected.

That makes no sense to me.

That would be like saying that just because there's a federal law against murder, unless every state also has a law against murder, you could go there and kill someone, no problem.

That's absurd.

Could our legal system be THAT broken?

Back
Top Bottom