• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

'17 NH Constitutional Carry, SB12 is law & U can carry if U can own, including MA res

That makes no sense to me.

That would be like saying that just because there's a federal law against murder, unless every state also has a law against murder, you could go there and kill someone, no problem.

That's absurd.

Could our legal system be THAT broken?
Well, it can be enforced here, by federal authorities. SO what it means: Just because there is a federal law against something does not necessarily mean a state is empowered (or required) to enforce it.

That would be like saying that just because there's a federal law against murder, unless every state also has a law against murder, you could go there and kill someone, no problem.

That's absurd.

Definitions of murder vary widely by state. It's not a bug, it's a feature. A murder in one state might be lawful defensive homicide in another. Or a protected medical procedure (not saying the a-word).

“We’ve never opposed keeping guns from the prohibited person as long as he or she gets due process,” Rice said. “This is what the chiefs didn’t want to surrender, the right to just say no without any valid reason.”
Yep.

Came back to update, I looked at the statutes and I agree.

The state defines OHRV basically as something that goes on land. Loaded rifles/shotguns are prohibited from all OHRVs, boats, and aircraft. Pistol permit required to carry loaded handgun on OHRV, but not a boat.
OHRVs being snowmobiles, atvs, tractors, lawnmower?

[FONT=&quot]VI. “Off highway recreational vehicle” means any mechanically propelled vehicle used for pleasure or recreational purposes running on rubber tires, tracks, or cushion of air and dependent on the ground or surface for travel, or other unimproved terrain whether covered by ice or snow or not, where the operator sits in or on the vehicle. All legally registered motorized vehicles when used for off highway recreational purposes shall fall within the meaning of this definition; provided that, when said motor vehicle is being used for transportation purposes only, it shall be deemed that said motor vehicle is not being used for recreational purposes. For purposes of this chapter “off highway recreational vehicle” shall be abbreviated as OHRV. OHRVs shall not include snowmobiles as defined in RSA 215-C.

[/FONT]
http://nhohva.org/about/new-hampshire-ohrv-laws/

Raises the question of someone that works their own farm, hauling feed or wood with an ATV or a mechanic working on cars in the garage or parking lot... Are they in violation if they carry on their own property?

And did the open carry only without license apply to private property?

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xviii/215-a/215-a-mrg.htm
VI. "Off highway recreational vehicle'' means any mechanically propelled vehicle used for pleasure or recreational purposes running on rubber tires, tracks, or cushion of air and dependent on the ground or surface for travel, or other unimproved terrain whether covered by ice or snow or not, where the operator sits in or on the vehicle. All legally registered motorized vehicles when used for off highway recreational purposes shall fall within the meaning of this definition; provided that, when said motor vehicle is being used for transportation purposes only, it shall be deemed that said motor vehicle is not being used for recreational purposes. For purposes of this chapter "off highway recreational vehicle'' shall be abbreviated as OHRV. OHRVs shall include utility terrain vehicles and shall not include snowmobiles as defined in RSA 215-C.

Snowmobiles are thus called out separately...

Last edited:
[FONT="]VI. “Off highway recreational vehicle” means any mechanically propelled vehicle [COLOR="#000000"]used for pleasure or recreational purposes running on rubber tires, tracks, or cushion of air and dependent on the ground or surface for travel, or other unimproved terrain whether covered by ice or snow or not, where the operator sits in or on the vehicle. All legally registered motorized vehicles when used for off highway recreational purposes shall fall within the meaning of this definition; provided that, when said motor vehicle is being used for transportation purposes only, it shall be deemed that said motor vehicle is not being used for recreational purposes. For purposes of this chapter “off highway recreational vehicle” shall be abbreviated as OHRV. OHRVs shall not include snowmobiles as defined in RSA 215-C.

[/FONT][/COLOR]http://nhohva.org/about/new-hampshire-ohrv-laws/

I doubt working your land falls under pleasure or recreation.

If you're on your own private property wouldn't you be exempt from any RSA regarding carry & OHRVs? with or without permit?

Ho ho ho. Can O WORMS and part of the continuing reason these RSAs need to go and you should hang onto your NH res/non-res P&RLs.

"215-C:35 Loaded Firearms Forbidden. – No person shall carry on a snowmobile, or a trailer towed by same, any firearms unless said firearm is unloaded. This section shall not apply to law enforcement officers carrying firearms in the course of duty or to pistols carried under a permit issued pursuant to the authority of RSA 159."

"215-A:20 Loaded Firearms Forbidden. – No person shall carry on an OHRV, or a trailer towed by same, any firearms unless said firearm is unloaded. This section shall not apply to law enforcement officers carrying firearms in the course of duty or to pistols carried under a permit issued pursuant to the authority of RSA 159."

Show me the exceptions with regard to OHRVs and snowmobiles for "on your own private property." Yes, it's that dopey - but remember, this is a FISH AND GAME law - its roots are all about hunting from vehicles, not about general recreation. Thus it appears intended to cover carry on your own land or not.

Ho ho ho. Can O WORMS and part of the continuing reason these RSAs need to go and you should hang onto your NH res/non-res P&RLs.

"215-C:35 Loaded Firearms Forbidden. – No person shall carry on a snowmobile, or a trailer towed by same, any firearms unless said firearm is unloaded. This section shall not apply to law enforcement officers carrying firearms in the course of duty or to pistols carried under a permit issued pursuant to the authority of RSA 159."

"215-A:20 Loaded Firearms Forbidden. – No person shall carry on an OHRV, or a trailer towed by same, any firearms unless said firearm is unloaded. This section shall not apply to law enforcement officers carrying firearms in the course of duty or to pistols carried under a permit issued pursuant to the authority of RSA 159."

Show me the exceptions with regard to OHRVs and snowmobiles for "on your own private property." Yes, it's that dopey - but remember, this is a FISH AND GAME law - its roots are all about hunting from vehicles, not about general recreation. Thus it appears intended to cover carry on your own land or not.

God damn it, we need to strip this garbage out next go around.

More importantly show us how these RSA's actually apply to any of the above on private property

They dont and never have....its no different than you not having to register/insure any sort of vehicle/atv/etc that remains on your own private property

What? Show me where they apply on Thursday.

They flat out say what can and can not be done with an OHRV, where-ever in the state. Edit: They actually talk about private property, owned property of the operator and make no exception about firearms.

Last edited:
It makes specific exceptions for registration. It makes zero exceptions for firearms. It states nothing in the entire chapter that it applies only on public trails/roads. Quite the opposite.

It needs to be changed. Not have fantasy versions of it stated. People are being harassed on their own land using OHRVs in parts of the state. This is just one more way to jam them up that needs to go.

I totally agree that a LOT of the 215 section of the RSA needs to be changed but I also dont agree that it applies specifically to use on private property and have not yet seen a court case upheld that fits those specific conditions

F&G "Officers" also need to be stripped of power to play police officer......I could go on and on.....
Agreed. But until then, people should be aware that SB12 did not change 215-A:20 (or its equivalent for snowmobiles) and that a res or non-res P&RL remains necessary to carry legally on OHRVs and snowmobiles on any property. The plain, black letter law flat out requires it. There's no ambiguity just because it feels wrong.

Reading through all this, it seems clear that the law re atvs etc DOES apply to private property and should be a target of repeal at the next opportunity.

sent from my chimney using smoke signals

Nope, choosing to run with your tail between your legs is a prison. Standing your ground and refusing to "Run to the hills" (thought you would like that given your avatar) and fighting the good fight, live or die, is truly freeing.....
Wait wait wait wait wait... Do I get this right? You think that you're fighting the good fight? How do you do that? Look at other countries. People riot, set shit on fire, throw Molotov's favorite long drink, hurl rocks and bricks at cops, and so on. I don't condone it, but that's fighting. What you do, is donating twenty buxx to GOAL and stand in front of an empty state house in your church clothes, and hold up some sort of "boo, I'm angry" sign. That's not fighting, that's wining.
just in case you haven't noticed, your AG made you her little bitch. Didn't see any "live or die" fighting whatsoever. Not from you, not from anyone else. You're probably one of those guys who love to hear themselves talk, and go back and re-read your own posts. You people wouldn't act up if Maura bitchslapped you into the next decade. Live or die... Mickey Mouse bullshit.

That's absurd.

Yes, yes it is. Evil feds won't let states enforce the immigration laws that they're ignoring. Hopefully Donald is going to be fixing this.

Also, under what conditions would any LEO be giving any Fs about what you are or aren't carrying on your own property? If they are on your property, it under your permission, subject to review at any moment, unless they have any probably cause.

Last edited:
Yes, yes it is. Evil feds won't let states enforce the immigration laws that they're ignoring. Hopefully Donald is going to be fixing this.

Also, under what conditions would any LEO be giving any Fs about what you are or aren't carrying on your own property? If they are on your property, it under your permission, subject to review at any moment, unless they have any probably cause.

Not necessarily, if we are talking trout troopers.

Not necessarily, if we are talking trout troopers.

You also may get in an accident and die if you don't wear your seat belt, but I don't worry about that either.

You're really trying to split hairs that have already been split!

Back
Top Bottom