$150k per arrest

Probably would have been better to spend that money on additional officers. I'm not terribly comfortable with the idea that the BPD can potentially listen in on anything happening near one of those sensors. And have video in some locations.

"I will say that people aren't shooting anymore and staying in the area to assassinate people," he said. "They're getting out of the area as fast as they can."

Really, what more can be said here?

bottle.jpg

potato.jpg

pillow.jpg

[smile]

"There's a knee-jerk reaction when looking at the technology to focus on the arrests, but that's not the real value," Beldock said in a phone interview. His Mountain View, Calif., company has sold the sensors to 30 police departments across the United States, from Oakland, Calif., to Nassau County, N.Y., since 1995. "The primary focus is getting a better picture of what's going on.

So they admit that they don't care if they make an arrest. They only want to know what's going on.[rolleyes]

Typical of the 10 arrests ShotSpotter contributed to was an event the night of May 28. Sensors recorded an 18-year-old male firing a .38-caliber revolver twice near Franklin Park, said a police report. An officer nearby also heard the shots and the suspect or his companion exclaim, "That [epithet] was loud, pow, pow!" The officer arrested the suspect and found the gun in a trash can.

Funny they pick an example where the system was not even needed. What am I missing here?

I'm not terribly comfortable with the idea that the BPD can potentially listen in on anything happening near one of those sensors. And have video in some locations.

Where's George Orwell?

We're slowly turning to a society where "the man" is going to be able to see and hear everything. The excuses are that it's public space, it's gonna reduce crime and we're looking out for the children. They're gonna start in crime ridden areas and once they've got those covered, they'll start in on everyone else.

God bless america, the land of the free??

Too bad someone doesen't invent a BS detector.We could put one in Boston City Hall and a couple at the State House.

My money says that stabbing incidents will be on the rise. I wonder how much a knife swing detection system will be to put it?

I can hear the Mayor now, "Be deed to ghet thees iwwegal kniwes owf da stweets. Wess kniwes wiw eqwaul wes cwime. Awubeda numba weewee.'

"Not everyone in Boston likes the new technology.

The Boston Police Superior Officers Federation filed a complaint with the state Labor Relations Commission in January alleging that ShotSpotter has increased the workload of supervisors of dispatchers, violating the union's contract."

Heaven f-ing forbid a cop has to investigate a few more instances in order to ensure public safety. Unions like that are what give the rest a bad rap.

Too bad someone doesen't invent a BS detector.We could put one in Boston City Hall and a couple at the State House.

They did. Both units overloaded and burst into flames within seconds of being activated. Fire regulations prevented any attempt to try it again.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom