12GA mini Shells for skeet or trap

SDG

Anyone ever use the mini shells for skeet or trap. I have both the Aguilla 7.5 shot and some of the challenger brand. Have a trip to Peacedale tomorrow and wondering if these might do the trick for a bunch of new shooters.

If they are on the birds they will bust them.
5/8- 3/4oz so its like shooting 410 .
If you cant find standard target loads then sure why not.
Full choke might help?

back a few years when lead was tough to come by and reached $70/25 I started loading 3/4 oz loads for practice. Smashed them on 16 and i was able to get back to 22 yard line before i started doubting them.

Last edited:
If they are on the birds they will bust them.
5/8- 3/4oz so its like shooting 410 .
If you cant find standard target loads then sure why not.
Full choke might help?

back a few years when lead was tough to come by and reached $70/25 I started loading 3/4 oz loads for practice. Smashed them on 16 and i was able to get back to 22 yard line before i started doubting them.

perfect thanks. I’ll take your advice and go full choke.

If you're trying to get new shooters to "drink the orange kool-aid" shells with a smaller shot load would not be my recommendation. They'll like it better if the birds break, and, especially for newer shooters, fewer pellets will likely result in more misses.

That said, if it's all you got, roll with it.

Good luck with your new shooters.

If you're trying to get new shooters to "drink the orange kool-aid" shells with a smaller shot load would not be my recommendation. They'll like it better if the birds break, and, especially for newer shooters, fewer pellets will likely result in more misses.

That said, if it's all you got, roll with it.

Good luck with your new shooters.
Interesting. I hadn't thought about it like that. You could be right. At least one of them hasn't ever even fired a gun, so I was wondering about recoil management. I have very limited experience with sporting clays. I'm almost always shooting down or straight.

Anyone ever use the mini shells for skeet or trap. I have both the Aguilla 7.5 shot and some of the challenger brand. Have a trip to Peacedale tomorrow and wondering if these might do the trick for a bunch of new shooters.
Only if they're running a single or O/U, or a coach gun. Otherwise f that noise

Assuming you're shooting 12-gauge, just use 1oz birdshot loads. Mini-shells have less performance, especially at range, less payload, and need an adapter to work in anything other than a break action.

I've shot at Peacedale and I wouldn't waste my money and time trying to shoot Mini-Shells.

If you single load through the ejection port they're not so bad. If you try to use the magazine you're going to have a bad time.

I tend to agree with @MisterHappy that hits on target will be more important (emotionally) than fear of recoil. When I took his intro, another member brought his 12-yr old daughter and she had no problems running the 12GA with standard shells

Get in front and say that the shotgun packs a bit of a wallop, and that it's entirely manageable; but mostly, don't make it too big of a deal. For recoil mitigation, you can tell them to pull into the pocket of their shoulder with the primary hand, and to push forward on the forearm with the support hand like they're trying to pull it in half.

Last edited:
Dont even mention recoil.
Solid hold on the rifle/shotgun

Issues with recoil are usally from in correct pitch angle which allows the shotgun to ride up into your face. Also incorrect toe angle some times it will dig into your flesh just inside your armpit.

Assuming you're shooting 12-gauge, just use 1oz birdshot loads. Mini-shells have less performance, especially at range, less payload, and need an adapter to work in anything other than a break action.

I've shot at Peacedale and I wouldn't waste my money and time trying to shoot Mini-Shells.
Just keep in mind that recoil will be dependent on payload weight and Velocity.
In the end IF all you have is mini shells for the new shooters thats fine. Get them used to handling the shotgun , proper mechanics, the flow of the game at hand.
Your just burning up shells anyway.
For trap/skeet 5/8 should be fine, if they are "on"the targets they will bust some.

Sporting clays/5stand there are many more presentation angles and different size clays.
They use these small rollers at 5 stand near me.
What a pita those are for me. Especially tbe black ones.
Oh and those mini clays....ugh come out like lightning then slow like bumble bee, really messes with your rythem when those are tossed in randomly.

I have very limited experience with sporting clays. I'm almost always shooting down or straight.
shooting-tuna-fish-750x500.jpg

Issues with recoil are usally from in correct pitch angle which allows the shotgun to ride up into your face.
6a00d83451bbfa69e201053628ed2d970b-500wi

Last edited:
I was unaware that 7.5 shot in target rounds should hurt.
Even in High Brass configuration it’s like a little love tap on the shoulder.
1 1/8oz at 1150 fps can be much better than say 1350 fps.
As far as hurt goes, this is dependent of the gun fit, weight and the shooter.
My 250lb 6' tall friend has stupid delicate tissue and even a 22lr will leave him bruised on his shoulder pocket. He wears one of those shoulder patches. Forget trap....he does more than 25 rounds hes done for.

1 1/8oz at 1150 fps can be much better than say 1350 fps.
As far as hurt goes, this is dependent of the gun fit, weight and the shooter.
My 250lb 6' tall friend has stupid delicate tissue and even a 22lr will leave him bruised on his shoulder pocket. He wears one of those shoulder patches. Forget trap....he does more than 25 rounds hes done for.
I shot with some women who never complained on the line. Instead of a break open gun use an auto loader on the line but leave the murse in the car. 😂

I got kicked out of a match shooting HB loads. Who woulda thunk??

I shot with some women who never complained on the line. Instead of a break open gun use an auto loader on the line but leave the murse in the car. 😂

I got kicked out of a match shooting HB loads. Who woulda thunk??
Yeah my buddy is not happy about it. Growing up we would grab his arms and squeeze hard so we could see out finger marks a few hours later. Hes grown out of it some what but rifle shooting hes limitted.
Heavy guns make all the difference.
theres a reason why trap guns and match guns are heavy

Yeah my buddy is not happy about it. Growing up we would grab his arms and squeeze hard so we could see out finger marks a few hours later. Hes grown out of it some what but rifle shooting hes limitted.
Heavy guns make all the difference.
theres a reason why trap guns and match guns are heavy
Same as heavy handguns. .40 isn’t ‘snappy’ in a full sized metal gun. 😆

Thanks for all the advice guys it went great today. I started them out with mini shells and then quickly switched over to target loads in the 1150-1200 ballpark once they got the mechanics down. By the end of the day we were looking at about a 50% hit rate for even the newest shooter. Peacedale was an awesome place to shoot.

Thanks for all the advice guys it went great today. I started them out with mini shells and then quickly switched over to target loads in the 1150-1200 ballpark once they got the mechanics down. By the end of the day we were looking at about a 50% hit rate for even the newest shooter. Peacedale was an awesome place to shoot.
50% is very good

If i shoot sporting clays and break 50/100 thats a killer day, lol
We had some advantages. it seemed like a slow day there so we shot twice, sometime more, at each station. And a group of 5 so by time we were going through the second or 3rd time we had a pretty good read on them.

Last edited:
This. Aguila minis run like absolute garbage in even in my pump gun.
I have a Mossberg Maverick with the long tube and the pop in adapter that plugs in the bottom for minishells. The long tube holds like 14 of them or something stupid like that.

The only time I tried skeet with it was to test the adapter, during a break, I just told them to keep pulling doubles and I'll keep shooting til I run out.

It worked fine and had a few people who didn't know what I was doing with weird looks on their face wondering how I could shoot so many birds without reloading.

I now use that for my HD shotgun with minishell buckshot. With the buttstock cuff I stick minishells face to face and I get 14 in the tube, 10 in the buttstock and one in the pipe full
25 shots for a grab and go.

I have a Mossberg Maverick with the long tube and the pop in adapter that plugs in the bottom for minishells. The long tube holds like 14 of them or something stupid like that.

The only time I tried skeet with it was to test the adapter, during a break, I just told them to keep pulling doubles and I'll keep shooting til I run out.

It worked fine and had a few people who didn't know what I was doing with weird looks on their face wondering how I could shoot so many birds without reloading.

I now use that for my HD shotgun with minishell buckshot. With the buttstock cuff I stick minishells face to face and I get 14 in the tube, 10 in the buttstock and one in the pipe full
25 shots for a grab and go.
Must be a pretty laxed club every trap or skeet field I have been at only allows 2 shells load while its your turn on doubles
If tou had control of the field and house Thats different

everything has its limits. Not really sure why the mini shells came about. Only thing I see is you can get 2 or maybe 3 hulls worth of plastic vs a 5/8 oz 2 3/4” shell?

Not really sure why the mini shells came about.
if one is making reduced loads anyways, they might as well get rid of some of the extra material in the shell, it's just weight and volume taking up space in shipping containers and store shelves. Since we have shorter shells, we can fit more (about 2x) in tubular magazines. Now we can market them to the folks who are recoil averse and those who fetishize capacity at the same time. It's like a cartridge purpose-built for gamers and uninformed home-defense-snake-oil-drinkers.

At the end of the day, we can blame it on the Marketing team...again.

Back
Top Bottom