• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

10mm ammo choice for a woods gun

kalash

NES Member
Heading up into North Maine Woods this summer. Who knows what's up there, breeding bears, starled moose, coyotes, hillbillies*, etc. I feel like a long gun would spend all day in the car or propped up against a tree so I'd rather bring my G20 that'll stay with me at all times.

Anyways, hot 10mm is seemingly impossible to find. Target doesn't have any, local stores don't have any. Anyone know a source for Buffalo Bore or Underwood?

* I know someone whose car got smashed up while he was hiking Greylock in MA. So yeah, two-legged preditors are a thing in the woods.

Heading up into North Maine Woods this summer. Who knows what's up there, breeding bears, starled moose, coyotes, hillbillies*, etc. I feel like a long gun would spend all day in the car or propped up against a tree so I'd rather bring my G20 that'll stay with me at all times.

Anyways, hot 10mm is seemingly impossible to find. Target doesn't have any, local stores don't have any. Anyone know a source for Buffalo Bore or Underwood?

Underwood ships to outside MA addresses no problem even with MA billing... best thing to do is find an NH friend that will do you a kindness and let you buy it that
way with a dump point there.

-Mike

To echo what Mike said, a lot of regular commercial 10mm loads are about as powerful as a .40 round, which defeats the purpose. Hot 10mm performs much better.

Last edited:
To echo what Mike said, a lot of regular commercial 10mm loads are about as powerful as a .40 round, which defeats the purpose. Hot 10mm performs much better.
right. i ended up reloading for my g20 but since i don't have a replacement barrel, well...i stay away from lead, using a 180 gr. xtp. i'm playing around with blue bullets right now. if they work for me i'll get their 180 & 200gr. .40/10mm rnfp's. and work up a nice load. with the coating they use they say shooting in glocks are ok.

i picked up some buffalo bore at bass pro in manchester a while back. 180 jhp's. pretty stout, power was there, and grouped really well out of the 20. wish i chrono'd them. i never followed up on them cause of cost. i think they were 34 bucks/box.

OP you're asking for a source for underwood...just order it from underwood. please don't ask me if they'll ship to XYZ, i wouldn't be suggesting it otherwise. their ammo is far better value than buffalo bore, which is hyped up and retardedly overpriced.

FWIW, the Sig Sauer 180gr FMJ ammo is loaded correctly. it will chrono over 1250 from a G20 which is warm and where 10mm should be. it's going to be a lot cheaper than anything from underwood or buffalo bore.

i'm playing around with blue bullets right now. if they work for me i'll get their 180 & 200gr. .40/10mm rnfp's. and work up a nice load. with the coating they use they say shooting in glocks are ok.
Is their coating different than Ibejiheads? Because those are just fine in my Glock 19.

FWIW, the Sig Sauer 180gr FMJ ammo is loaded correctly. it will chrono over 1250 from a G20 which is warm and where 10mm should be. it's going to be a lot cheaper than anything from underwood or buffalo bore.
Good to know!

Ktp has buffalo bore in 10
Yup. On my way up to the north Maine woods I usually stop at KTP for my BB 10mm. And anything else I forgot after leaving home. Can’t wait for our annual trek up to Katahdin country this year. I’ve Been camping Up there for almost 30 years now. And for the first year i’m comfortable bringing all the kids. Have a great time Kalash!

Like JTR said a 115 bullet at 1700 fps will f***shit up . If it was just the hillbillies or maybe even the yotes ide be good to go . If I'm were there might be something with heavy fur and big bones that might want to stomp on or eat me ide use a heavier bullet.

Underwood has sales every now and then. Usually 10% off. Also when I was up in NH there was a store that was basically just ammo and they had lots of different kinds Underwood included. If I remember correctly it was around N. Conway and I believe on Rt. 16. Enjoy your trip!

Yup. On my way up to the north Maine woods I usually stop at KTP for my BB 10mm. And anything else I forgot after leaving home. Can’t wait for our annual trek up to Katahdin country this year. I’ve Been camping Up there for almost 30 years now. And for the first year i’m comfortable bringing all the kids. Have a great time Kalash!
Any tips from your 30 years going up there? We've got a pretty big group going, doing some camping and off-roading, and we're all comfortable in the woods unsupported. Anything specific to the area we should know?

I love the area above Baxter State Park. Mount chase/shin pond area. Way too many people in the park for me. If you’re leaving the pavement and heading down the logging roads be aware you may/will lose cell phone service. Sat phone is nice. I carry the number of the closest emergency stations with me. I would also bring a chainsaw, tow straps things of that like. Water Depths may not be what they are printed on the Maps. Make sure your boats can take the rocks. You must have a fire permit to have a fire going. Cost nothing just let them know. If you don’t you might look at a fine. They patrol the big woods by plane. Depending on where you are help can be quite a ways away so play it safe. Bugs can be brutal depending on when you’re there. We always go in the end of summer. Should be great. Always is up there.

Any tips from your 30 years going up there? We've got a pretty big group going, doing some camping and off-roading, and we're all comfortable in the woods unsupported. Anything specific to the area we should know?
The ATV trails up there are everywhere and never ending. I’m always on foot or in a boat with GPS. I would imagine you would definitely want one in that spiderweb of trails.

I could be wrong, but I believe mere possession of a firearm is not allowed in Baxter State Park.
You can pass through with them but you cannot have access to them. Locked up. At least that’s my understanding of it last time I looked.

Company ships
OP you're asking for a source for underwood...just order it from underwood. please don't ask me if they'll ship to XYZ, i wouldn't be suggesting it otherwise. their ammo is far better value than buffalo bore, which is hyped up and retardedly overpriced.

I find that 180gr Underwood and Sig 10mm is comparable in price, but Underwood is loaded a little hotter. On ammoseek, Sig prices range from $17.60 to $28.99/20 rds, while Underwood is $15.02 to $23.95/20 rds. The prices for both brands do not include shipping cost. However, Target Sports USA sells Sig 180 gr. for $189.90 for 200 rds or $18.99/20 rds with free shipping, which is a very good deal.

Back
Top Bottom