$100 at spend, what to buy??

seanc

NES Member
Question for those of you that know about this stuff..
I got one of those supercitificates for $100. I can use it at either Cabelas/ BassPro or Dicks..

Starting out thinking of all this survival stuff. Where to start? What makes the most sense to buy? I really have not much of anything.

Would this be best spent on something in the way of a knife? A machete? Folding shovel (glock)?

I have things like folding knives/ leather man. But nothing that would really qualify as a shtf tool..
Help??

I got one of those supercitificates for $100. I can use it at either Cabelas/ BassPro or Dicks..

Starting out thinking of all this survival stuff. Where to start? What makes the most sense to buy? I really have not much of anything.

Would this be best spent on something in the way of a knife? A machete? Folding shovel (glock)?

I have things like folding knives/ leather man. But nothing that would really qualify as a shtf tool..
Help??

start canning your own food [grin]

Last edited:
Canning, ..

The GF is pretty good at doing that already and as an added bonus, she is also an RN that has had quite a bit of Trauma and ER experience...

I would grab something like a Katadyn Hiker Pro Microfilter

This is the way I went about mine. What good is me having the tools if I don't have the energy/hydration to use them? A person can survive weeks without food, but the time of survival without water is measured in days.

Also, if money is an issue I went to Walmart and they sometimes stock Mountain House. I picked up some breakfast packs (Eggs w/Bacon, pre-cooked single serving) for $4.88ea. They had the packs for two entree's kind of cheap as well.

Help??

$100 worth of Ammo.

What do you have already? Do you have two weeks of food put away? Two Months? Do you have a good bob and ghb? How are your first aid supplies? Do you have good cold weather gear? A good polly pro base layer? Can your mail order extra mags for a pistol or rifle?

Just a few ideas.

A good flashlight, in all seriousness- it's the one thing I think a lot of people underestimate and overlook in general. That and/or a decent and reasonably priced tent, the only reason I throw that out there is because I was recently offered a selection of items to choose from as a five year employee gift with my company- between the alarm clocks and cheap bracelets the only reasonable item I spotted was a two-person tent which happened to have gotten good reviews (especially for the price). Since you can't get ammo, just work down the line of other supplies, there are some great ideas that the others above have also thrown out.

Rember your survival priorities:

Warmth
Water
Shelter
Food

Warmth is typically fairly easy to address. Most of us have warm clothes, blankets, etc that we can use to maintain body temperature.

Water is the next big item. While dying of thirst takes a couple of days (2-3 generally) energy, concentration and coordination (all keys to survival) drop rapidly as dehydration sets in. Water Purification / Filtration is a great place to start unless you need to address your warmth survival issues.

Shelter should not be an issue unless you expect to have to bug-out. If you think you'll definately have to bug-out in a SHTF situation. Mobile Shelter should be right behind mobile water (mobile water makes filtration/purification even more important)

Once you can reliably meet the above goals, start focusing on food. Whether building stores, buying some small animal traps / snares or small game hunting items (lures, light survival rifle, etc) food should be your last concern. While you'll get hungry after 8-12 hours without food and performance, concentration and performance fall, not nearly as fast as with dehydration and a typical person can go several days to a couple of weeks without food prior to starving.

While a good survival knife is a highly useful tool, I believe a water filtration kit would likely be a better investment with your first $100.

I think a highly under rated shtf survival item is a multi fuel camp stove. Gas will be available for a lot longer than propane via cars gas tanks. Without one how are you going to cook your food? Pasta, rice, a lot of long shelf life foods need to be cooked never mind meat.

A water filter would be nice. If you had a stove with plenty of fuel you could boil the water. If not, there is always bleach.

I would invest in a good water filter in case SHTF.

I would grab something like a Katadyn Hiker Pro Microfilter
<snip>

Water filter, Katadyn purification tablets, <snip>

Water filter<snip>

Notice a common theme running here ? [wink]
"City" water can be shut off or have contanimation issues, private wells need power. You could store water but that takes space. With a good filter you can get potable water from any number of sources.

Back
Top Bottom