• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

10+ rounds capacity preban mags or is there a modern gun other than berretta, glock and sig that has preban mags?

This is pure speculation. Can you cite some cases where an MA resident and legal gun owner was facing a threat of grave bodily injury or death inside their home, used deadly force, and went to jail?
Yeah what's the point of castle doctrine if a liberal jurisdiction tries to hang you cause it frown upon the fact that you survived and the bad guy who tried to kill you didn't?

There are a bunch of factors at play when it comes to mag choice. It's up to the individual to weigh them.

What are the chances that you'll need more than 11 rounds?
What are the chances that a LEO will search you?
If searched, what are the chances of said LEO caring about your mags?
What are the chances of mags (new or old) malfunctioning?

The list goes on and on.

This is pure speculation. Can you cite some cases where an MA resident and legal gun owner was facing a threat of grave bodily injury or death inside their home, used deadly force, and went to jail?

1) There was no threat of bodily injury or death. The person shot was OUTSIDE the house.
2) He shit THROUGH THE DOOR, Joe Biden style. That's a bad shoot in most states.
3) He talked to the police. Always a mistake.
4) He was found not guilty.

Any other examples? Preferably better ones than this.

If you don't see the value of carrying 17 rounds - why bother carrying a gun at all?

You don't get to choose how many killers are going to outnumber you and your family. You can bet they will not be afraid to carry more then 10 rounds.

Well, I thought you were going to say that if you don't see the value of carrying 17 rounds, why carry a gun as big as the G17. I could sort of see that. And the response might be "Because I shoot it really well." That seems reasonable, too. But you seem to be saying something more. Now a 10+1 semi-auto isn't worth carrying at all because of the multiple-assailant scenario involving an arbitrary number of attackers?

Here's my problem with that argument. A regular Joe out and about doesn't win a gun fight against multiple assailants by carrying more rounds. That fight is not likely to end when the multiple assailants run out of ammo, no matter how much ammo Joe is carrying. If regular Joe wins that fight, it'll be because he put more rounds on target first, and probably because some of the multiple assailants decided they didn't like their odds after seeing a couple of their buddies go down. Otherwise, regular Joe is going to die with rounds left in his magazine even if he only has a 10-rounder.

There might be a scenario where we fine tune the number of attackers and tweak it just right, but what are you really doing here if not trying to justify something that you decided before-hand without needing any justification? If you want to carry a G17 with a standard mag, be my guest. I'm not saying anything about that. I'm just saying that the multiple attacker scenario outside the home (where you don't get the luxury of fighting from cover or concealment, either one) is a fairly weak argument against 10+1 being enough because the more attackers there are, the sooner you're going to be taking hits. Plus, if you do get to fight from cover or concealment, a spare 10-round mag should make up the difference.

A bit of an HK fanboy but going to say full size USP (not the USP compact). Prebans exist in both 9 and 40. The USP is still a hell of a modern pistol that is now 30 years old. Also, the HiPower is an awesome pistol with preban availability and FN just brought it back, likely in response to Springfield making the new SA35 HP copy.

Look you carry your glock with two 10 round magazines 20 rounds should take care of anything you will run into.
That said my night stand gun in Florida is a glock 17L with a 50 round drum magazine [mg] [mg]

I get where you're coming from but you shouldn't be afraid of doing something that's legal.
I'd agree if we resided in a nation where the laws are applied equally. We don't.

The Jan. 6th people rot in jail while your politicians on both sides of the aisle told you Antifa/BLM looting and rioting was justified.

"Lying" to the FBI is a crime if you're Michael Flynn, but not if you're a member of Hillary Clinton's campaign spreading fake Russian/Campaign conspiracy FUD.

We don't live in a country bound by the rule of law anymore. That's just a fact.

The Taurus G3c 9mm, which is an excellent pistol, can use SIG P226 mags, including 15 and 17 round prebans, w/o any problems.

We don't live in a country bound by the rule of law anymore. That's just a fact.
to be fair, it is not about the law, never, it is all about interpretation of the law, and, mostly about the interpreters.
pendulum will eventually begin moving in the opposite way, as people getting fed up with antics of one extreme, and will go into an another extreme.
i wish it would settle somewhere in the middle, but it does not seem to happen, ever.

I'd agree if we resided in a nation where the laws are applied equally. We don't.

The Jan. 6th people rot in jail while your politicians on both sides of the aisle told you Antifa/BLM looting and rioting was justified.

"Lying" to the FBI is a crime if you're Michael Flynn, but not if you're a member of Hillary Clinton's campaign spreading fake Russian/Campaign conspiracy FUD.

How is this an argument for carrying 10rnd mags? Sounds like the opposite.

How is this an argument for carrying 10rnd mags? Sounds like the opposite.
It supports the previous thesis that not getting entangled with the law over pre-ban mags might be a good idea. Being on the correct side of the political spectrum is far more important today than the facts or the law. That's why Hunter Biden can break the gun laws with impunity while you should certainly expect to get jacked up even if you are law-abiding and can prove it.

Some prosecutors only care about wins.
Having a post ban mag is a 10 year felony and is a slam dunk case.
Most prosecutors don't have the discretion to choose. In my area, if it is a gun related charge it is going to be prosecuted, even if there are no victims or allegations of threatening conduct. High capacity magazine/gun = Superior Court only. Total BS.

It supports the previous thesis that not getting entangled with the law over pre-ban mags might be a good idea. Being on the correct side of the political spectrum is far more important today than the facts or the law. That's why Hunter Biden can break the gun laws with impunity while you should certainly expect to get jacked up even if you are law-abiding and can prove it.
If the law no longer matters because, as you contend, it will be ignored and you'll be prosecuted, then you might as well carry brand new (banned) mags, no? Otherwise, if the law does still apply, then you can carry pre-bans perfectly legally.

If you shoot somebody in your house - you're going to jail just like any other person in Massachusetts.

Lol but, "not necessarily". I know two different cases in this county where someone shot someone else (and in one case the BG died) where the defender never sniffed a
jail cell.

What is it with MA peoiple and retarded fearmongering? You of all people, should know better.

If the law no longer matters because, as you contend, it will be ignored and you'll be prosecuted, then you might as well carry brand new (banned) mags, no? Otherwise, if the law does still apply, then you can carry pre-bans perfectly legally.
We all select the hills we want to die on so each to their own.

Lol, starts fearmongering, cites incontrovertibly bad shoot to back up fearmongering.

Bravo!

[rofl]

I think there are some old Ruger models that had pre-bans too, but I could be wrong.

I get where you're coming from but you shouldn't be afraid of doing something that's legal.

Change the springs and followers and you're good to go.
After that, you might consider replacing the mag tube just to be on the safe side. Hate to have the old one split on you when your life is on the line.

The Taurus G3c 9mm, which is an excellent pistol, can use SIG P226 mags, including 15 and 17 round prebans, w/o any problems.

That's pretty smart of Taurus. Glock sight compatibility and Sig mags with an option for preban. If you can't beat em, work with them. Actually sparks my interest in that platform all of a sudden, as preban P22(X) mags most likely function same as new, aside from maybe a spring replacement here and there.

That's pretty smart of Taurus. Glock sight compatibility and Sig mags with an option for preban. If you can't beat em, work with them. Actually sparks my interest in that platform all of a sudden, as preban P22(X) mags most likely function same as new, aside from maybe a spring replacement here and there.
Are new Taurus guns as reliable as the big boys now? Companies can and do turn around - look at Hyundai cars in the 90s literally falling apart while cruising on the highway. Today they're not so bad. All the youtube videos of Taurus guns going off when dropped or that one instance of a Brazilian cop merely shaking his pistol and it shooting does not help with confidence.

Are new Taurus guns as reliable as the big boys now? Companies can and do turn around - look at Hyundai cars in the 90s literally falling apart while cruising on the highway. Today they're not so bad. All the youtube videos of Taurus guns going off when dropped or that one instance of a Brazilian cop merely shaking his pistol and it shooting does not help with confidence.

I've never owned one, and have certainly cited that exact video before of the shaking thing. But I've read nothing but decent reviews on the G3 line. I mean, it isn't revolutionary or cutting edge, but it has been reported by various outlets of being consistent and accurate. I guess no bad news is good news for a Taurus in turning reputation around. I've fired my buddy's G3C once. Was kind of forgettable as just another polymer compact, but I suppose that's a good thing that I'm lumping the experience in with the rest.

The G3/G3C is infinitely better than most of the other stuff they make.

The problem with the Berretta 92 mags from what ive found anyways, is there is no 100% way to identify oem beretta magazines as preban.
I think with the exception of eagle magazines.
Supposedly, they were open and shutdown before the ban. I could be off on that.

Sounds like a feature, not a bug.
I understand your angle for that, and i understand im speculating. But " the state or po-po" would most likely arrest/prosecute on the grounds that its over 10 rounds without any doubt in anyones mind. And theorectically(sp?) to prove it, all they would have to do is a metalurgy(sp?) test or some other scientific shit to prove its recent production.

As much as I hate to say it, mag blocks are just easier.
But with no clear definition if thats "accepted" in massachusetts and how it is affixed to the magazine(glue,pinned etc) you are essentially screwed either way.

Back
Top Bottom