10/22 Hi cap mags

My brother in-law was trying to give me some mags for a 10/22 I recently bought. I got a couple 10 rounder which are obviously 100% fine. My question in he was trying to give me some hi caps if I wanted them, so I told him I would get back to him about them. He can't remember when or where he got them but as a LEO it doesn't really matter for him. They are clear Buttler Creek 25 round mags. Other than The company info and patent number there is no date or anything. Is it possible they are pre-ban or did they not exist prior to the ban. I have seen the smoked style pre ban but wasnt sure about these. I figured I would do some checking before just using the "well they don't have a date stamp they must be fine" outlook. They also have metal feed lips. Thanks for any info.

Brian

BCs existed preban.... not sure how/if to tell the difference between the old and the new ones. I've seen prebans with both plastic and steel lips, clear and smoke colored. Unless there is a mold mark/stamp on the thing there probably is no way to tell.

-Mike

Thats what I figured unless they researched the patent number to see when it was patented but if they were going to that extent to date a mag I am guessing something would have gone horribly wrong and a post-ban mag would be the least the problems. I just figured I would see if anyone knew anything about them. I knew they existed but wasn't sure if after the ban they changed designs or materials example: Glock mags. Like you said though no date stamp no way to tell.

What if there is a stamp on the mag with "It's a mAss pre-ban mag" [rofl]

Also, I think I'd seen those date stamps somewhere for sale, not sure if stamps need to be preban [wink]

??? I guess I just don't get what is so funny. I guess I just don't think its a laughing matter that we have to worry about this crap in this state.

??? I guess I just don't get what is so funny. I guess I just don't think its a laughing matter that we have to worry about this crap in this state.

it's the laugh of despair. I was checking out some hi cap 10/22 mags myself at Riley's and feeling very sad that I could not bring them home to mAss.

BCs existed preban.... not sure how/if to tell the difference between the old and the new ones. I've seen prebans with both plastic and steel lips, clear and smoke colored. Unless there is a mold mark/stamp on the thing there probably is no way to tell.

-Mike

+1 there.

The steel lip ones are the better ones, the plastic lips don't last or feed well.

I've allways said that if I got into any hot water for 10/22 mags I would say that I bought them at a MASS Gun Show and the dealer asked to see my LTC before he would sell them to me.

Which has happened to me at the gun show at the Big E.

The one I didn't buy at the Big E show was an old 100 round drum mag, I looked at it and saw that it was loaded and the dealer didn't even know that it was until I showed it to him, I figured if he didn't know it was loaded I wasn't going to ask him if it was pre-ban or not. [wink]

No I haven't contacted them. I am going to get the pat. # and give it a try. I wasn't sure of the legality of them so I left them in my BIL's possession. Its not a real big deal. Its just 2 mags that I can live without them. I just figured I would see if anyone knew anything about them.

No I haven't contacted them. I am going to get the pat. # and give it a try. I wasn't sure of the legality of them so I left them in my BIL's possession. Its not a real big deal. Its just 2 mags that I can live without them. I just figured I would see if anyone knew anything about them.

I don't think that patent number will give you much info. Patents go several years from initial provisional application to approval, so the only thing you can prove without a doubt if it was patented after the ban. Again, I'm just as frustrated that people in mAss have to go to such crazy lengths to be on the "safe" side of law.

May be a mag with a "surviving" sales receipt dated prior to ban?

Last edited:
May be a mag with a "surviving" sales receipt dated prior to ban?

Yeah, good luck with that. I've got a 30 year old 10/22 with an Eagle 30 rounder about the same vintage. I don't even have the receipt for the RIFLE, much less the mag!! [laugh]

I here you Boris, just wasn't sure what you were saying at first. Thanks everyone for all the info. With no manufacture date I can't see having a problem. If someone ever checked into it that much to charge me with something I imagine something would have gone terribly wrong and that would be the least of my problems. I don't plan on doing anything that stupid in the future anyway. Again thanks for all the info... this thread has kind of got a lot more complicated than I had planed. lol

Back
Top Bottom