• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1 week as a moderator

I have never had an issue with any of the Mods here. I think I got a PM from one about something I did or said and honestly, was actually a pleasant suprise to be reprimanded but not feel like I was being so.

Yeah. I'd have to say this place is one of the more fairly moderated forums online. I should start a freedom loving forum, then ban all the moonbats so I don't have to listen to them. Oh, the irony.

I thank you and all the moderators and administrators for your time and effort.

I moderated MarshfieldForums.com for a couple of years, needless to say I didn't win a lot of friends in the process. It is a lot harder than one would think.

Kiss the other cheek a little, the boss' a*s is falling asleep.......J/K. Don't ban me bro'.

You now have a mostly thankless job (it is a job) that we truly appreciate your stepping up to the plate on. You too Jeremy.

Thank you all.[wave]

I remember when Derek asked me if I wanted to moderate the classifieds forum and while I was honored, I had to decline because I knew I just didn't have the time to help the full time mods keep track of the classifieds section.
I'm more than happy to be able to help in the milsurp forum and sit back in my own little corner of NES.[grin]

I've learned a lot after being a Mod for only 1 week.

Already, I've closed several threads, quietly PM'd several people to calm down or watch their language, please;

I've gotten very nice PM's in return apologizing for whatever it was they did that was not appropriate;

I've gotten sworn at using the most offensive language you can imagine in 48 point type !;

I've banned one person. (guess which one);

I've learned that watching the classifieds is a lot of work;

I've learned that 1/3 to 1/2 of all new classified ads don't follow 'the rules' ;

I've learning that deleting sold classifieds and those that don't follow the rules is a lot of work;

I've learned that it takes a lot of time to read posts that I used to just gloss over or skip altogether;

I've learned that I can get embarrassed when my 9yo granddaughter sits next to me while I'm reading and sees a word or picture she shouldn't be seeing; [rolleyes]

I've learned that we have some of the smartest people I've ever met posting here;

I've learned that we have some of the most passionate hot heads I've ever read, posting here;

I've also learned that some people just don't learn;

I've learned that it's a lot of work to be a mod;

I've learned that most everyone doesn't know how hard it is to keep up with postings being generated;

I've learned that Derek carries a heck of a load on his shoulders as the mods will defer the bigger problems to him;

I've learned that the current mods are a great bunch of people (I actually knew that long ago!) and that they are VERY fair using their moderating powers;

I've learned that the Mods, and especially Derek, have really worked hard for a long time to keep this place what it is;

and lastly, I've learned that I'm very proud to be a part of this great group.

Thanks Derek.

Yes, and what does it take to shut a thread down? Is this area becoming so "Politically Correct" that discussion is "terminated"?

Yes, and what does it take to shut a thread down? Is this area becoming so "Politically Correct" that discussion is "terminated"?

It's a gun forum. Off topic threads seem to be tolerated as long as they're reasonably cordial or not going down the road of poor taste. I've wondered in the past why a thread was closed, but figured they had rules to follow and I didn't care enough to ask.

Oy vey! I've been in your shoes so to speak in the past, and was counting my lucky stars when I finally quit the business and handed the reins over. Mostly thankless work, countless glassy eyed hours, and the BS...oh the BS. Keep up the fight. We're counting on all of you to keep NES the best site on the net. Period. (actually that's 3 periods, but you get the idea)

Back
Top Bottom