• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1 week as a moderator

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
I've learned a lot after being a Mod for only 1 week.

Already, I've closed several threads, quietly PM'd several people to calm down or watch their language, please;

I've gotten very nice PM's in return apologizing for whatever it was they did that was not appropriate;

I've gotten sworn at using the most offensive language you can imagine in 48 point type !;

I've banned one person. (guess which one);

I've learned that watching the classifieds is a lot of work;

I've learned that 1/3 to 1/2 of all new classified ads don't follow 'the rules' ;

I've learning that deleting sold classifieds and those that don't follow the rules is a lot of work;

I've learned that it takes a lot of time to read posts that I used to just gloss over or skip altogether;

I've learned that I can get embarrassed when my 9yo granddaughter sits next to me while I'm reading and sees a word or picture she shouldn't be seeing; [rolleyes]

I've learned that we have some of the smartest people I've ever met posting here;

I've learned that we have some of the most passionate hot heads I've ever read, posting here;

I've also learned that some people just don't learn;

I've learned that it's a lot of work to be a mod;

I've learned that most everyone doesn't know how hard it is to keep up with postings being generated;

I've learned that Derek carries a heck of a load on his shoulders as the mods will defer the bigger problems to him;

I've learned that the current mods are a great bunch of people (I actually knew that long ago!) and that they are VERY fair using their moderating powers;

I've learned that the Mods, and especially Derek, have really worked hard for a long time to keep this place what it is;

and lastly, I've learned that I'm very proud to be a part of this great group.

Thanks Derek.

Last edited:
Couldn't have said it better myself, Dennis. I agree with everything you said (except for the granddaughter thing, but give me a few years!) Oh, and I feel left out because I have only been sworn at in a normal sized font so far [smile].

As you said, it's been an eye opener to see how much work it is just to keep the little things running smoothly, even though most of our fellow users here are productive and well behaved.

Thank you Dennis, Derek and all moderators for making this such a superb source of information and social website!

So many people believe that a good website involves creating it and then just letting it go its own way. You guys are proof positive about how much hard work is involved in keeping a website strong and informative.

Thanks again to all of you for your efforts on our behalf.

Best,

Rich

Couldn't have said it better myself, Dennis. I agree with everything you said (except for the granddaughter thing, but give me a few years!) Oh, and I feel left out because I have only been sworn at in a normal sized font so far [smile].

I am here but to serve.
FOUL AND FILTH AND FOUL AND FILTH AND FOUL AND &*(%^&*$%^&#%^(
Happy?

In all seriousness, I have nothing but respect for all the mods work here.

being a moderator in general on any forum, nevermind a high traffic one, is a time consuming job... it takes a lot of tact, tough skin, patience, and time patrolling the baord.... nevermind moving, deleting, splitting, merging, and pm'ing-- all on volunteered time -- [laugh]

hat's off to you-- and the rest of the staff here [smile]

None of what you have said surprises me in the least, Dennis! I appreciate that there ARE those who hang in there as they do. There is no end to these threads, and a whole lot of beginnings to more. Reminds of "hit the mole" game.

So thanks for the efforts by all...[grin]

Thank you

Thank you guys for the hard work. I check out two sites regularyl this one of course and a fishing site. Both sites are kept in check very well and you never stop to think about how much work it is.

Thanks

Thanks

All the Mods do a terrific job, even when I know I push the envelope of unacceptable [shocked] . As of yet, I have not gotten the " hey, be nice" PM yet, but I am sure one day it will be in my inbox...[smile]. All in all, this is a great forum, with all the diversity in opinions, and the sometimes passionate discusions, we always come back and keep things rolling for these guys. We got a good thing going here, lets not eeff it up. Thanks a bunch for looking out. Hmm, I wonder if we can call it.....Derek and his Mod Squad??? Oh I can see the PM coming now...........................[laugh].

Great Job!!!!

I've moderated a car forum with 24k + members. Still a moderator on there but don't even have much time to even get to NES with my job situation.

I can't do it anymore. It was like a full time job.

Keep at it Pilgrim.

I've learned a lot after being a Mod for only 1 week.

Already, I've closed several threads, quietly PM'd several people to calm down or watch their language, please;

I'm one of the head admins at gaming forum (and the corresponding game servers). It's quiet now but back in our hay day it was insane being an admin or moderator. Especially being that most of our clients were immature high school kids. And aside from closing threads (we tried our absolute best to never do such a thing. Even if it meant bringing the hammer down on some of the posters to a trouble thread) I know exactly what you're going through. My hats off to you. I don't miss it.

Back
Top Bottom