0 to 300 yard optic for both an AR and AK?

je25ff

NES Member
Can anyone recommend a decent optic that would work well for both an AR and AK?

it sounds like your only choice is a red dor sight plus side-folding magnifier
i can't think of any other way to go about shooting from 0 to 300

but AR and AK are too different of a platform to really have something that can seamlessly go from one to another.
two different optics that each work well with respective rifle seems like a better way to go, at least to me.

SCP_MF3WQS_APP_1.gif

Last edited:
but AR and AK are too different of a platform to really have something that can seamlessly go from one to another.

That's what I was afraid of. So I could probably go with a red dot sight that will be ok at 100 yards for both then? I'm just trying to save from having to buy two [wink]

AK's don't need sights, just more vodka. AR I would recommend a red dot or holographic sight like Aimpoint or EOTech, or if you had money to blow get an ACOG.

Get a 1-4x for the AR

Throw the AK in the trash

[thumbsup] I can't agree more, put a cheap $20 scope on AR to make it even more homo than it already is, hide AK in the trash and pour a bunch of motor oil over it, you may even set it on fire ... it will shoot fine when SHTF. [laugh]

0-300 use this
eyeball.jpg

In all honesty, I can't do that, at 100 yards I can't see crap even if I use neon-bright targets.

Seriously though, I have had good luck with cheapo (like under $50) scopes in abundance on eBay and shitload of other places. Some people spend all their money to buy ridiculously expensive glass than dread to put a scratch on it. Many places have reviews, and some cheapos are crap, but some are quite decent, hold zero well and if you bang it up it's not a big loss. It doesn't sound like you are rolling in dough, so get something you are not worried about. A lot of people go to the range once in a blue moon anyways. Start small, if you feel like you are spending a lot of time at the range, I'm sure you'll see other people with their optics, ask to try it out, make your own conclusions and may be get something better if you get the itch.

Why scope an AK anyway. They generally aren't accurate enough to warrent that kind of investment. That has been my experience anyway. Naturally you can expect someone else to chime in now saying they shoot mosquitoes at 300 yards with their wasr.

Last edited:
Why scope an AK anyway. They generally aren't accurate enough to warrent that kind of investment. That has been my experience anyway. Naturally you can expect someone else to chime in now saying they shoot mosquitoes at 300 yards with their wsar.

I suppose 300 yards is a wish list for the WASR and M10 I have, but I was really just looking for something that I could swap back and forth between the AR and AK and would do reasonably well.

for out to 300 4 power should be enough a variable 1-4x or something with a flip up magnifier in the fixed 4x would work, someone must remember that company that does the inexpensive red dots that get decent reviews I want to say it begins with a P but my mind is drawing a blank

Biggest problem if you are juggling the scope back and forth is can you get it so the zero is repeatable each time you switch. So is it so many clicks up or down when going from one rifle to another. I would not want to have to spend every trip starting off by zeroing the scope again. I had a fixed 3x ACOG knock off that I used briefly on an AR, it was not as accurate as the rifle. Put it on an AK and got a decent Leupold for the AR. Much happier with both now.

Last edited:
Why scope an AK anyway. They generally aren't accurate enough to warrent that kind of investment. That has been my experience anyway. Naturally you can expect someone else to chime in now saying they shoot mosquitoes at 300 yards with their wasr.

scoped AK74 are used along side with SVD and VSS, so getting a scope for his AK may be warranted. Shooting mosquitoes is ghey.

Biggest problem if you are juggling the scope back and forth is can you get it so the zero is repeatable each time you switch.

great point!

scoped AK74 are used along side with SVD and VSS, so getting a scope for his AK may be warranted. Shooting mosquitoes is ghey.

I had a lot of fun shooting an SVD once, товарищ.

I suppose what I ought to look for is a cheap red dot scope of some kind.

товарищ

Gehsundheit.

I had a red dot on my Beretta Neos at one point, thing was about 40 MOA and useless... it was some cheap thing I got at walmart. I would suggest doing like BFM said: get a decent(read "not expensive, but good reviews") scope for the AR and a decent(same thing) red dot for the AK. Unless you plan on working on the AK to turn it into an SVD imitation? ...in which case, I'm in on the group buy, I want an SVD!

for out to 300 4 power should be enough a variable 1-4x or something with a flip up magnifier in the fixed 4x would work, someone must remember that company that does the inexpensive red dots that get decent reviews I want to say it begins with a P but my mind is drawing a blank

Primary Arms. I have a PAM3B red dot on my AK. Very decent and inexpensive.

SPARC Vortex with AKML RS mount.

20120816174803-1.jpg

It comes with a screw in 2x magnifier and clamps down rock solid on any AK side rail mount. You can get a separate mount for a top rail on an AR but you'll be pissing through ammo re-zeroing every time you swap it on rifles.

Back
Top Bottom