• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

‘I Just Can’t Stand By’: American Veterans Join the Fight in Ukraine

Don't understand your problem helping them out ?

I'm generally not in favor of getting deeply involved in wars that have nothing to do with our national interest.

We've gone to war for the sake of "other peoples' freedoms" before, and it usually hasn't worked out too well for us in the long run. I'm sure nobody reckoned we'd have 30k American sons and daughters stationed in Korea after SEVENTY YEARS of standing as a useless speedbump, but that's what happened. And sure, it's not the same situation, but we're not very good at foreseeing unintended downstream consequences. Nor are we very good at waging limited, asymmetrical wars.

We're at our best force-on-force, and if we're not ready to do that right now against the Russians (and we're not), we need to hang back.

It depends on where they live. If they were from, say, Cambridge, what would be the chances of them winning any government seat in that depraved city?
Their odds of winning w/b terrible...comparable to going up against a Russian T-72 tank with a Molotov cocktail and the free AK-47 that the Ukrainian military hands them when they land

The difference is; fighting and failing against the bat-crap crazies in Cambridge allows you to go home at night, to be with and provide for your family and then rally again...with an oppty to change a few hearts and minds here in America.

If these guys live in a more balanced state, they would have even a greater chance to beat back the corrosive behaviors and ideals that are being sold as mainstream. We have just seen that happen in Virginia...I dont want these idealistic young men to waste their lives overseas when they could channel that energy into taking back their own country

I am not looking to stand in their way, their lives - their choice, but there are opportunities to improve life here in the USA...in line with our own interests

I was thinking of donating my guns. They will be kept safe by the .gov until shipping can be arranged after laws are changed to allow it.

Maybe folks can rescue those abandoned in the stan?

I'm generally not in favor of getting deeply involved in wars that have nothing to do with our national interest.

We've gone to war for the sake of "other peoples' freedoms" before, and it usually hasn't worked out too well for us in the long run. I'm sure nobody reckoned we'd have 30k American sons and daughters stationed in Korea after SEVENTY YEARS of standing as a useless speedbump, but that's what happened. And sure, it's not the same situation, but we're not very good at foreseeing unintended downstream consequences. Nor are we very good at waging limited, asymmetrical wars.

We're at our best force-on-force, and if we're not ready to do that right now against the Russians (and we're not), we need to hang back.
Well
Picton I’m not a big fan boy war either I’m also a fan of history like you and I thank you for your service may be hard for a boomer that I understand but I think I do all the best

I understand their desire and hope their sacrifice, in whatever form, is acknowledged bu the Ukrainian people.

thie idea that they will be treated as mercenaries but the Russians means they understand their fate should they be captured.

I can understand these guys wanting to go.

The problem in Ukraine appears to be solvable with a heaping helping of violence. That is attractive to those of us with the warrior spirit.

The problems here at home do not appear to be solvable with violence. At least not at this stage of the game.

Got to save the Ukraine because Hunter Biden needs a place to work. need some place to launder dirty western money (we're not the only ones with dirty noses there) and finding crooked goverments isn't always easy. The US goverment has a history of backing the wrong side. Putin would not be doing this unless the Chinese gave the okay, and they now rule the world and we're No.2 working on being No3. Best not to listen to all the propaganda from both sides and keep our noses out of it.
We have enough G,I,s with parts missing because of the Afganistan fiasco.

My dad's friend volunteered to Britain before America was in WWII and flew a Spitfire against the Germans and was wounded in the process.
Everyone has to make their own choice with their own blood. I don't know all the geopolitical ramifications but stopping Putin there is better than here. It seems at least there is a hope against Russian aggression in Ukraine.

Out of all the wars the worlds seen (and even the 2014 version of this one) here we go with this stuff again.

The TV can convince people to do some pretty wild things. Not saying it's right or wrong. But there's been zero shortages of legitimate bad guys who need to die over the past decade that the news didn't care about, ergo, the public doesn't care about.

Weird times.

My dad's friend volunteered to Britain before America was in WWII and flew a Spitfire against the Germans and was wounded in the process.
Everyone has to make their own choice with their own blood. I don't know all the geopolitical ramifications but stopping Putin there is better than here. It seems at least there is a hope against Russian aggression in Ukraine.

Comparing 2022 Russia to the Third Reich is a really bad comparison. They arent in the same realm of reality. China isnt even close and they are significantly more dangerous and capable than Russia, not to mention China has a de facto holocaust of it's own going on right now.

People need to stop comparing X bad guy to the Nazis. The Nazi's were about as bad as it gets.

Last edited:

So what do we do when Little Puty decides he's not stopping at The Ukraine? His goal is to reclaim all lands and reconstitute the USSR? Remember, Vlad stated the greatest tragedy of the 20th Century was the collapse of the USSR. Unless he gets his ass kicked in Ukraine he will be looking to reclaim the Balkin's. 20 years ago I was handing out MRE's to Russian Soldiers as they were trying to sell us their boots, jackets etc. They were pathetic but we looked the other way and played see no evil as Little Puty rearmed and set his sights on Eastern Europe. :mad: Remember what Santayana said, "Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"

So what do we do when Little Puty decides he's not stopping at The Ukraine? His goal is to reclaim all lands and reconstitute the USSR? Remember, Vlad stated the greatest tragedy of the 20th Century was the collapse of the USSR. Unless he gets his ass kicked in Ukraine he will be looking to reclaim the Balkin's. 20 years ago I was handing out MRE's to Russian Soldiers as they were trying to sell us their boots, jackets etc. They were pathetic but we looked the other way and played see no evil as Little Puty rearmed and set his sights on Eastern Europe. :mad: Remember what Santayana said, "Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"
Your prediction is not the same as my prediction.

I’ll just leave it at that.

problems here at home do not appear to be solvable with violence
absolutely everything is solvable with a good portion of violence. it is just usually the government who wants to usurp the right to do violence, and they call it 'justice'.

also, war - america never saw a true war. an external bombing campaigns with a safe retrieval back home is not a war.
war is when your kids and 70 yr old parents are left to die from starvation and dysentery in their own house as there is no more water, electricity, gasoline and all roads are blown up. and anybody who calls for a war to come - should think twice of what they are inviting.

My Father's Uncle was one of the Flying Tigers .
They had no illusions of what would happen to them if they were captured .

Back
Top Bottom