• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Zombie action Shoot??

I watched one of the cowboy action shoots last year and thought that looked like a lot of fun but just don't want to invest in a whole set of dedicated guns just for that.

So I started thinking...what about a Zombie Action Shoot. Just for fun and a little competition. You can even have a Zombie Hunter name....Set up similar to the CAS but you can bring whatever weapon you want. Targets would be Zombie oriented of course. Maybe have teams and individual scoring...

Any Ideas??? Has it been done and I missed it? (probably)

I think there has been some around Halloween time. But I would definatly be into one. Would be great to have a 3 - gun style shoot to engage the undead at various distances.

IN! Just let me know when.

I have seen videos of ranges hosting these with mannequins mounted on skateboards and r/c cars so you actually have moving targets. Looks like a blast.

You can even have a Zombie Hunter name....Set up similar to the CAS but you can bring whatever weapon you want. Targets would be Zombie oriented of course. Maybe have teams and individual scoring...

Any Ideas??? Has it been done and I missed it? (probably)

My only issue with that is what are you shooting? Any firearm you want sounds like it could get crazy for close up targets that are not paper. CAS we shoot at a lot of steel. That's why we have FPS limits on what you shoot. Might be hard to get .223 to a range that will work correctly in your firearm and not come back at you if it's a steel target.

Now, the three gun style does sound pretty good.

I'm thinking paper targets...

dress however you want...holster however you want. Need to figure out the safety issues with loaded rifles and shotguns slung over the back ect...don't want to sweep the line as you bring your firearm up to shoot......

I wonder if my club would be up for this....could be a nice money making venture for them....
Is $20 per person too much?? $10 goes to the range and $10 to cover cost of targets??

I saw on youtube that people are making reactive zombie targets out of paper and cardboard that are held up behind the head and fall once the head shot is taken.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome videos, I love the sword portion of the course.

Your zombie action shoot should definitely require a hand to hand combat portion, Maybe a watermelon or pumpkin that needs to be thoroughly smashed in a badass zombie slayer fashion.

I also like the reactive targets idea, you could use balloons printed with a zombie face and a standard paper target taped to the bottom. That way only headshots make the targets fall.

Myself and another forum member did a zombie shoot a few months ago, IDPA style. We had around 15 targets per stage at various distances, and the weapons included our ARs, a 12-gauge single-shot "found gun" and a Remington 700. Head shots only.

It was a good time, and we'll likely repeat it. The only major consideration is you must make more allowances for range safety with rifles and shotguns in pits.

If you use any steel you'll probably have to limit it to handgun calibers because of the short distances. Would you allow NFA stuff?

I busted out in the giggles watching the first video when the hole in the target kept getting bigger.

Had some serious guffaws from the second video what the guy had to cut the head off the zombie with a sword.

This would be serious fun.

you could just use balloons for the heads and that would keep target costs down, just have a clip on the back to grab the knot. If you use red ones it adds a whole other aspect. I would love this and would do everything possible to be in.

Well there certainly seems to be interest in doing this....I guess I need to figure out the where and then the when....and of course the how....

I just had a thought....the dreaded insurance....how is that normally handled? I would assume we would need a separate rider for the event.

Last edited:
Scoring is always a bit difficult with this, as you have to agree on what rules zombies follow. Obviously a single headshot drops a zombie, but what about headshots dropped into the body? Does it have any positive effect on target? Do repeated hits in the down-zero area of a zombie have positive effect? If so, how many?

Back
Top Bottom