• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Zombie action Shoot??

Here's how I would score it...
Think about it....what counts in fighting zombies? Time, headshots and rounds left.

1. I say we have a max round load out for each stage .... this would be # of zombie targets x 3 maybe. you get bonus point for rounds left. or 1/2 points for zombie kills if you run out (zombie over run you)
2. We have a time to complete for each stage. Rather than timing how long it takes to wipe all targets. We set a timer for X time to clear stage. You get bonus points for time left. or 1/2 the points (dead zombies) if you let time run out without clearing (zombies killed you)

I dig the idea of rounds left, but then if you have a rifle stage, you will be down loading 30 round magazines. That could get time consuming.

Preliminary logo for event...H ad some time at work today....can ya tell....note the date is fictitious! but it looks cool...
ZAS.jpg

Just time it. If you run out of ammo with heads intact, you get the "BRAINS" penalty for each. Don't progress quick enough in a stage, the "laser hallway" challenge begins. (^_^)

(I watch too many Zombie movies)

Just keep in mind that holstering a live firearm on the clock is not a great idea. Design the stage to prevent that.

As long as I am not at sea I would definitely be there the day before to help with set up, and stay to help with take down.

Just time it. If you run out of ammo with heads intact, you get the "BRAINS" penalty for each. Don't progress quick enough in a stage, the "laser hallway" challenge begins. (^_^)

Love the laser hallway reference. [rofl2] Could design one stage to run your rifle dry and force you to draw your handgun and empty it, holster, and finish the course with a machete pull.

Time plus scoring like IDPA or IMGA is the way to go. It's easy for everyone to understand, and easy to score.

We need a good host club.

Some stage ideas.... All Headshot or 5 rounds center mass (figure that would slow them down enough for you to evact) for full score.
1. First encounter: Open door; street scene in front of you with civis and some infected. You only have your CCW loadout. 10+1 and a spare 10 round mag. Penalty for civi hits
2. Zombie Hotel: Your in elevator (shoot box); Door slides open on start; faced with zombies in front; clear then move to counter; clear more zombies blocking exit; move to exit; clear street
3. It's a mob! (100yd rifle stage) Must pick off 20+ zombie heads mixed in with 50 civi targets. Time limit of?

I have a bunch more.......but that is a teaser...

Its nice idea but it would be a pain to reset everytime....I think the local PD set up a moving target on the 100yrd rifle range at my club....wonder if that could be used.

Some other ideas....

You can make swinging or knock-down targets out of polyethylene or something similar (you can buy them in animal shapes) in the shape of zombie heads, attach them to something roughly shaped like a zombie body. You could also use clays in clay-holders.

I think it'd also be cool to do a 'run what you brung' kinda shoot, ie you can do it with whatever guns you have, and can manage to (safely) carry.

FINALLY!!!! An Opportunity to put the USAS and 20 rd drums to the test!!!!

There should be some sort of.. the more bizzare and or obnoxious the firearm the better here.. Basically, some sort of the more unsuitable for use it in a competition the better

Last edited:
I could also see some sort of jungle walk where you have to walk through the crowd of knock downs mowing down everything in front of you to get to the end..

FINALLY!!!! An Opportunity to put the USAS and 20 rd drums to the test!!!!

There should be some sort of.. the more bizzare and or obnoxious the firearm the better here.. Basically, some sort of the more unsuitable for use it in a competition the better

I like the way you think. It would be fun to have a fixed position gun (ie one on a tripod or something like that) and have the zombies come at you. You would have to mow them down before they got to the line.

I like the way you think. It would be fun to have a fixed position gun (ie one on a tripod or something like that) and have the zombies come at you. You would have to mow them down before they got to the line.

I was thinking about the walk forward thing... It may be more practical (and potentially safer) to somehow put a bunch of zombies on some sort of rail system and march them towards the shooter. The beauty of zombies are that they don;t need to move fast, it is just a matter of constant forward momentum of hordes..

but the walk forward would definitely be cool and certainly inkeeping with a Romero scene..

For the CCW stage, could you use paper targets with steel plates behind the head so you wouldn't need to tape targets? That way you could make it so that when you walk up to that stage you have no idea what you are facing.

A cool thing for head shoots would be 1 gallon milk jugs filled with red colored water, for the good splater affect. This would be a fun shoot to have.

For the sake of science, I have conducted a great number of experiments on this subject with my high-speed camera. Arizona iced tea 1 gallon jugs make the best explosions. Followed by simply orange, then the various ocean spray products. As much fun as these are to shoot, they would be a lot of work to setup. Balloon heads on wood and cardboard targets are probably the safest bet. Of course, if someone can think of a reasonable way to mix giant vats of fake blood and brain matter in such a way that nobody would be upset when it hits the ground, be my guest.

Man, ideas are good, but making a really complicated Action stage is hard as many here can attest. Start smaller, like 10 paper, 1 charger, and 2 guns. That's about the largest stage that's "easy" to put together. Make one stage longer, with fewer targets, but obstacles and some running in it. Make one stage very short and fast. Add a few variations. Remember that the limiting factor isn't your imagination, but time, resources, and gadgets available. Most clubs only have, what, 30 target stands, and 3 or 4 clever movers?

Zombie marchers isn't hard to do. Sturdy target stands placed on a carpet remnant pulled by a winch or other constant speed device. Hardest part will be to find a range smooth enough to slide without bouncing the stands over. You could screw the stands from the back side of the carpet with large washers. Reset would only require pulling the carpet back and replacing the balloons.

You come up with GOOD scenarios and someone can work out a means to make it happen.

And these stages don't have to be winnable. I'd love to have the proverbial "Kobayashi Maru" stage where you have no hope of winning, but just see how many you get before they get you.

Back
Top Bottom