• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ziploc your Glock

or whatever kind of gun you have. Was wondering Wal-Mart today and saw this cheap easy to use kit made by Ziploc. I don't have a huge selection of guns and only a small safe - but I do have moisture issues. Safe isn't big enough to put a dehumidifier in and the desiccant packs work OK but monitoring them kind of sucks. Figured I would give this a try and see what happens. Not sure how long the seal will stay tight but worth a shot. I guess you could do this with just about anything.

Outdoor bugout bag buried underground?

IMG_20130804_173424_zpsaba10754.jpg

IMG_20130804_173641_zpsfff45407.jpg

don't see any desiccant packs in there. without a desiccant in the bag you're just sealing the moisture in. I'd be concerned about the bag sticking to the finish and causing problems.

Also, I wouldn't do this with anything that has wood on it, like pistol grips. It's liable to dry out the wood.

they make special bags with a coating just for this purpose btw. they have an anti metal corrosion on them already. sucking what little air is in the bag out doesn't really help.

https://www.zcorrproducts.com/

Last edited:
hahaha... I thought the title was catchy so I went with it. I don't even own a Glock nor would I. They are (in my opinion) the ugliest looking pistol made.

If you vacuum seal your gun with a desiccant pack would all the air in the pack also be drawn out so therefore it not work? I'll monitor it over the next couple weeks and see what the results are. I usually lube my guns to the max just to withstand the moisture in the safe.

don't see any desiccant packs in there. without a desiccant in the bag you're just sealing the moisture in. I'd be concerned about the bag sticking to the finish and causing problems.

Also, I wouldn't do this with anything that has wood on it, like pistol grips. It's liable to dry out the wood.

they make special bags with a coating just for this purpose btw. they have an anti metal corrosion on them already. sucking what little air is in the bag out doesn't really help.

https://www.zcorrproducts.com/
That technology looks great but is very expensive at $28/bag. But I'm sure it would pay off if you had some really nice collectables that you wanted piece of mind about while in the safe.

hahaha... I thought the title was catchy so I went with it. I don't even own a Glock nor would I. They are (in my opinion) the ugliest looking pistol made.

A Beretta 92, although a very good firearm, wouldn't win any beauty contests, either!

[rofl]

If you vacuum seal your gun with a desiccant pack would all the air in the pack also be drawn out so therefore it not work? I'll monitor it over the next couple weeks and see what the results are. I usually lube my guns to the max just to withstand the moisture in the safe.

Yes, those bags marketed for guns are over priced. Search for VCI (volatile corrosion inhibitor) bags and you'll find a slew of cheaper alternatives.

Provided the desiccant pack isn't completely isolated from the metal it should be fine. I'd still be concerned about the plastic breaking down and sticking to the metal though, particularly with the grease and oil present. Not all plastics can withstand petroleum and solvents.

Maybe put it in a gun sock, then bag it with a desiccant--vacuum pack optional.

Last edited:
Yes, those bags marketed for guns are over priced. Search for VCI (volatile corrosion inhibitor) bags and you'll find a slew of cheaper alternatives.

Provided the desiccant pack isn't completely isolated from the metal it should be fine. I'd still be concerned about the plastic breaking down and sticking to the metal though, particularly with the grease and oil present. Not all plastics can withstand petroleum and solvents.

Maybe put it in a gun sock, then bag it with a desiccant--vacuum pack optional.

I've had very good results with Zerust bags and they were one of the much cheaper options that you allude to.

Ya know, I only hear about people REMOVING cosmoline these days, never APPLYING it.

How long has that served faithfully now?

Back
Top Bottom